Vet reccommendations....

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Any one ever hear of or use Banfield Pet Hospital, Annapolis, MD? We were told a vet there had a lot of experience with Mastiff's and that's where the breeder chooses to go with their dogs. Also, they offer wellness plans. For a certain price per month (I believe for a year) it covers spay/neuter, shots, diagnostic, etc. http://www.banfield.com/preventive-care/optimum-wellness-plans/puppy-wellness-plans

Anyone ever use one of these? Any info on them would be great.

Last edited:

Palominolover

Any one ever hear of or use Banfield Pet Hospital, Annapolis, MD? We were told a vet there had a lot of experience with Mastiff's and that's where the breeder chooses to go with their dogs. Also, they offer wellness plans. For a certain price per month (I believe for a year) it covers spay/neuter, shots, diagnostic, etc. Puppy Wellness Plans - Optimum Wellness Plans - Banfield Pet Hospital®

Anyone ever use one of these? Any info on them would be great.

I have raised and shown mastiffs for 20 years. I have always used Prince Frederick Animal Hospital. 410-535-2590. Ask to see Dr Schmitt.

I've never used Banfield in Annapolis or anywhere. You just need to make sure they are experienced with giant breed dogs, and using anesthesia and with spaying. Not easy to do these big guys. You can have big issues and complications if they aren't careful.

I would think for wellness stuff they would be fine. For any type of surgery I might go elsewhere. Good luck!

mamatutu

mama to two
I have raised and shown mastiffs for 20 years. I have always used Prince Frederick Animal Hospital. 410-535-2590. Ask to see Dr Schmitt.

I've never used Banfield in Annapolis or anywhere. You just need to make sure they are experienced with giant breed dogs, and using anesthesia and with spaying. Not easy to do these big guys. You can have big issues and complications if they aren't careful.

I would think for wellness stuff they would be fine. For any type of surgery I might go elsewhere. Good luck!

Agree. We took our dogs to PFAH for 14 years (their whole life). Dr. Schmitt is great, and so are the other docs there. Never have owned a mastiff, but our neighbor in Darnestown had a mastiff named Angus. That was one of the greatest dogs I have ever had the pleasure to know! He was an amazing animal and a great friend to my children. I will never forget him, and he passed 18 years ago.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I would never take my DEAD dog to any of the Banfields....:coffee:

Care to elaborate? I've read some articles written by Mastiff breeders and they talk about making sure your vet is very familiar with the breed. They don't metabolize meds the same as other dogs and anesthesia can be an issue as well. You can PM me if you'd rather not post it here.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

I'm guessing Dr. Schmitt is very familiar with this breed? Any time I hear animal hospital I associate higher costs for just regular check ups, vaccines, etc. Are they comparable with other vets in that category?

Palominolover

I think PFAH is very fair in their prices. More so then other vets.

I've been going there for a very long time. I would rather pay more at a vet who is experienced with mastiffs then take the chance that a chain hospital would kill my dog not having the experience.

Mastiffs as I'm sure you know are different when it comes to anesthesia.

You can always call them and get a price quote.

Good luck

Palominolover

I'm guessing Dr. Schmitt is very familiar with this breed

And yes, she is. I've used her as my vet for as long as I have been in the breed.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I'm guessing Dr. Schmitt is very familiar with this breed

And yes, she is. I've used her as my vet for as long as I have been in the breed.

:popcorn:... hey question for ya... :popcorn:

did you by chance take the vet assistant classes at CSM several years ago..:popcorn: :biggrin:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Any one use one of those wellness plans? The one I looked at for puppies was a $48.95 membership fee, then for $38.95 a month it's supposed to include: comprehensive physical exam, most vaccinations, diagnostic testing including heartworm, lyme, ehrlichia and ear swab, 3 fecal exams and 4 deworming's and free office calls/exams and spay/neuter (including pre-anesthetic blood testing, blood pressure check, internal organ screens and electrolytes). I know you can get the vaccinations at well pet clinic fairly inexpensive but I'd be nervous about them spaying a mastiff. They spayed my Lab with no problems when she was about 2.5 yrs old.

Roman

Any one use one of those wellness plans? The one I looked at for puppies was a $48.95 membership fee, then for $38.95 a month it's supposed to include: comprehensive physical exam, most vaccinations, diagnostic testing including heartworm, lyme, ehrlichia and ear swab, 3 fecal exams and 4 deworming's and free office calls/exams and spay/neuter (including pre-anesthetic blood testing, blood pressure check, internal organ screens and electrolytes). I know you can get the vaccinations at well pet clinic fairly inexpensive but I'd be nervous about them spaying a mastiff. They spayed my Lab with no problems when she was about 2.5 yrs old.
The Well Pet Clinic probably wouldn't spay, or neuter a Mastiff given the problems they have metabolizing anesthesia. I've heard about the health care plans, but have never used them myself. I wish I could help. Care Credit can be used for both human, and animal medical, and they usually have a deal whereas if you pay it off in a certain amount of time, there's no finance charge. I'd be more inclined to go with that. It can be used at the Vet of your choice.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Visit your local Well Pet Clinic. You'll save a ton of money in fees, vaccinations, tests, and so forth. They can also spay/neuter your pet.