Get rid of the A-10 ????

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
A-10s are awesome! Unless you are in an LAV-25 and the pilots really don't have their armor identification down cold.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The Warthog has been my favorite jet for decades once I saw it in training action in the 80's. No sense at all to take what is simply the best armor and general personnel vehicle destroying air platform ever invented and proven, and change it out - for what?

More SecDef/military industrial complex mindlessness.

Chris0nllyn

Keep the cuts coming!

It really pains me to see supposed "fiscally conservative Republicans" bitch and moan about the budget, but say things like:

...The Obama administration’s plans to cut the defense budget were “disappointing,” - Paul Ryan

"...the proposed defense budget would put the U.S. military’s ability to protect American interests abroad, provide a deterrent to attack, and provide security for allies at risk." - Marco Rubio

...it is being cheered by our enemies and that small cuts to our vast defense budget will “decimate our military capability.” - Allen West

In 2013 the top 20 military spenders spent $1.316 trillion on “defense-related expenditures.” The U.S. was responsible for an 44% percent of that spending.

Global Defense Budget Seen Climbing In 2014; First Total Increase Since 2009 As Russia Surpasses Britain And Saudi Arabia Continues Its Security Spending Spree

Even with the proposed reductions implemented, the U.S. Army will still be one of the largest in the world, and U.S. military spending will still be much larger than any other country’s.

dan0623_2000

A-10

I have geat admiration for the pilots of the A-10. It takes great skill and a big set of gohunas to take a screaming jet down that low to the ground and provide support to the ground troops.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I have geat admiration for the pilots of the A-10. It takes great skill and a big set of gohunas to take a screaming jet down that low to the ground and provide support to the ground troops.

Any aircraft and pilot under fire, for that matter. The A-10 is about, if not, the most heavily armored and pilot/engines protected, ground attack platform, and that was by design.

And what a design it is. So what if that design is 40 years old? If it still works better than anything else, don't fix it, govt.:killingme

Vince

Any aircraft and pilot under fire, for that matter. The A-10 is about, if not, the most heavily armored and pilot/engines protected, ground attack platform, and that was by design.

And what a design it is. So what if that design is 40 years old? If it still works better than anything else, don't fix it, govt.:killingme
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The Air Force brass never wanted the A10. It puts them in a subservient role to the Army and they have tried to ground them every chance they get.

As soon as we need to fight somebody with tanks they bring them back

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Prior to Desert Storm AF was talking about getting rid of them and the Army was prepared to take them.. If nothing else for a surveillance platform the Army had been lacking for decades up to that point.

Desert Storm happened and the A-10 did a fantastic job and earned a great reputation... AF still didn't want it because it wasn't a sexy air to air platform.. But no way they could get rid of it after desert storm

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Prior to Desert Storm AF was talking about getting rid of them and the Army was prepared to take them.. If nothing else for a surveillance platform the Army had been lacking for decades up to that point.

Desert Storm happened and the A-10 did a fantastic job and earned a great reputation... AF still didn't want it because it wasn't a sexy air to air platform.. But no way they could get rid of it after desert storm

I agree. Turn them over to the Army and Marines. Plenty of pilots in the USMC already, and the Army Air Corps has been around 30 years or so longer then the USAF.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
problem is, Zomies don't like the A-10

its not a sexy zoom and boom aircraft
[think Top Gun]

it does not get the women excited

its like flying a cargo plane

which Pilot is going to get more action a 'Fighter' Jock or some shelp flying a C-17

I never bought the argument an F-16 [now 35] moving @ 500 knts can do the same JOB loitering over a battle field

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
problem is, Zomies don't like the A-10

its not a sexy zoom and boom aircraft
[think Top Gun]

it does not get the women excited

its like flying a cargo plane

which Pilot is going to get more action a 'Fighter' Jock or some shelp flying a C-17

I never bought the argument an F-16 [now 35] moving @ 500 knts can do the same JOB loitering over a battle field

You are correct, the Zipper Suited Sun Gods do not flock to an A-10 as they do over a traditional Air to Air fighter. The A-10 was designed as a ground attack and nothing else, the brass wants a multi-role aircraft that will falter and make the USAF pull the Warthogs back out of the Boneyard yet again. Unless a fleet of Predators is launched at once they will never be able to pack the punch that 1 A-10 has.

As for action, the Heavy crews often get more as they have far more rotations into places where there are more than 15 women on the ground. My friends that are on fighters have spent more time in the sandbox than I have and conversely I have spent a LOT more time in Europe than they ever will. Ramstein and Sigonella are pleasurable places to be! Just sayin' :buddies:

Hijinx

Keep the cuts coming!

It really pains me to see supposed "fiscally conservative Republicans" bitch and moan about the budget, but say things like:

...The Obama administration’s plans to cut the defense budget were “disappointing,” - Paul Ryan

"...the proposed defense budget would put the U.S. military’s ability to protect American interests abroad, provide a deterrent to attack, and provide security for allies at risk." - Marco Rubio

...it is being cheered by our enemies and that small cuts to our vast defense budget will “decimate our military capability.” - Allen West

In 2013 the top 20 military spenders spent $1.316 trillion on “defense-related expenditures.” The U.S. was responsible for an 44% percent of that spending.

Global Defense Budget Seen Climbing In 2014; First Total Increase Since 2009 As Russia Surpasses Britain And Saudi Arabia Continues Its Security Spending Spree

Even with the proposed reductions implemented, the U.S. Army will still be one of the largest in the world, and U.S. military spending will still be much larger than any other country’s.

Power is what keeps the peace, not Diplomacy.

I am no Historian , but I can see what happened in WW2, a time when everyone was cutting the military and it took so long to recover.
IMO we could not recover today. Our manufacturing processes have been sent to the 4 corners of the world.
Before we could manufacture the supplies we would need to fight we would first have to manufacture the manufacturing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As for action, the Heavy crews often get more as they have far more rotations into places where there are more than 15 women on the ground. My friends that are on fighters have spent more time in the sandbox than I have and conversely I have spent a LOT more time in Europe than they ever will. Ramstein and Sigonella are pleasurable places to be! Just sayin' :buddies:

:killingme

Well Played ....... :buddies:

just let women fly A-10's .... hehehe removes the macho factor