Power Company Smart Meter Opt-Out

Remember all the discussions we had on the 'smart meters' SMECO wanted to install?

Power companies in MD will be charging if you opt out.

The fees are a one-time, upfront fee and a monthly fee. The upfront fee will be payable in three monthly installments.

The upfront fees are $75. The monthly fees are $11 for BGE customers; $14 for Pepco customers; and $17 for customers of Delmarva Power and Light Company and Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative.

Panel Sets Opt-out Fees for Smart Meters - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Bastages.....

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I guess it was a good thing I never saw the opt-out flyer and came home one day to a sign on my door saying SMECO has installed the smart meter.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I feel like an ass because I don't think I've heard anything about this? What are these meters for? I've lived in this house for 3 years and haven't heard anything.

Smart Meters

SMECO Newsletter

^this should have been in one of your bills....
“In all cases, additional benefits would accrue as customers participate in specific smart meter-enabled program offerings, including household energy use information delivered to customers in real time via in-home devices and web portals; dynamic pricing with and without technology options, such as programmable thermostats with display information; direct load control with measurement and verification; and electric vehicles with a time-varying rate,” according to The Brattle Group’s article.

IE, they can control your house temp, and cut power during peak.

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
Remember all the discussions we had on the 'smart meters' SMECO wanted to install?

Power companies in MD will be charging if you opt out.

Panel Sets Opt-out Fees for Smart Meters - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Bastages.....

I can see a monthly fee for coming out to physically read your meter each month since they would not be able to read it remotely, but a one time upfront fee to opt out? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm sure these new smart meters are not cheap. I guess this is too ensure that big brother has complete control over your energy usage. The 'pay NOT to play' is becoming more common...

Chris0nllyn

Call the lawmakers in Nap-town and tell them to support HB 332.

FOR the purpose of requiring an electric company to give certain written notice to certain customers before installing smart meters on a customer’s premises under certain circumstances; specifying the contents of a certain notice; establishing a process by which a certain customer shall be deemed to have given permission to an electric company to install a smart meter; requiring an electric company to exchange a smart meter for an analog meter or an analog meter for a smart meter under certain circumstances; prohibiting an electric company from penalizing or charging a customer for taking certain actions; prohibiting an electric company from disclosing certain data to a third party, subject to certain exceptions; authorizing a customer to submit a certain complaint to the Public Service Commission under certain circumstances; requiring the Commission to conduct a certain investigation following receipt of a complaint; authorizing the Commission to take certain actions; making an electric company liable for unauthorized disclosures of certain data; specifying that a customer may take certain other actions in addition to filing a complaint with the Commission; providing for the application of this Act; defining certain terms; and generally relating to electricity service and smart meters.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/hb/hb0332f.pdf

TPD

the poor dad
So in theory, our electric rates should decrease once everyone has a smart meter - no more expensive union meter readers needed, no more vehicles and insurance needed for these meter readers, electricity savings during peak demand with the ability for rolling blackouts. Hell, they can even get rid of the crew that goes out to disconnect service for non-payment since it can all be done from the office. And I shouldn't have to pay a connect/disconnect fee for my rental property any longer - a phone call to SMECO and within 2 minutes the operator has performed the task at very little to no cost to MY coop. :yahoo:

:sarcasm:

TPD

the poor dad
He's a Democrat -al he cares about is more money from your pocket to pay for what he wants.

I agree, but he is my representative and I don't want to be accused of not participating in the legislative process.

He's being polished to be appointed to the throne when Hoyer decides to quit.

Underthedome

The problem with Smart Meters

So they want to charge people $75 upfront to opt-out and on top of that $17 every month. That is crazy since they would be saving money not using as many meter readers. With the money they will save they should reduce our rates. You know that's not going to happen!

The really big problem with Smart Meters is next they will charge us premium rates during peak demands. You think that's not going to happen...just watch. With the smart meter technology they will be able to identify specific use periods and charge you more money. The elderly and low income people will really suffer the most. Hopefully they will pass a bill in Annapolis that will stop this. The PSC really didn't have our best interest in mind when they approved this.

RPMDAD

I get my stuff online. Maybe it came separately and was thrown away. So you really think it'll get to the point the can adjust your usage themselves?

getbent, yes they can. Unbeknownst to me the evil wife unit signed up to have a smart meter installed, that was a real shock to me when i came home from work one day. Last summer we had to have our heat pump replaced, a guy that lives in my neighborhood is in the HVAC business and came by and replaced the inside and outside unit. A day or 2 later i noticed the house was getting warm and the inside fan was running but the outside compressor wasn't, called him up and he stopped by and showed me how the device that smeco had installed had turned the outside unit off.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
getbent, yes they can. Unbeknownst to me the evil wife unit signed up to have a smart meter installed, that was a real shock to me when i came home from work one day. Last summer we had to have our heat pump replaced, a guy that lives in my neighborhood is in the HVAC business and came by and replaced the inside and outside unit. A day or 2 later i noticed the house was getting warm and the inside fan was running but the outside compressor wasn't, called him up and he stopped by and showed me how the device that smeco had installed had turned the outside unit off.

Why would they turn off the outside unit? To keep you using less energy? Doesn't the outside unit have to run regardless of it being heat or a/c? (We just got a heat pump so I'm new to the outside and inside stuff running at the same time. My old one did not.) Seems to me, and I may be wrong, but wouldn't the meter have to be wired into the existing HVAC unit? I don't see how they can mess with you system. Replace the meter part maybe, since it's theirs (SMECO).

Last edited:
Why would they turn off the outside unit? To keep you using less energy? Doesn't the outside unit have to run regardless of it being heat or a/c? (We just got a heat pump so I'm new to the outside and inside stuff running at the same time. My old one did not.) Seems to me, and I may be wrong, but wouldn't the meter have to be wired into the existing HVAC unit? I don't see how they can mess with you system. Replace the meter part maybe, since it's theirs (SMECO).

The 'inside' unit is just a fan. The 'outside' unit is the compressor and uses the majority of power in your house. SMECO's box could turn off the power to the outside unit, but the fan continues to run.

If it's a heat pump, yes, it runs for both heat and cold. SMECO can turn it off in either case if they feel they are in a power crunch.

But I think what's being discussed here is slightly different. The OP is about replacing the meter on the side of the house which is how they know how much power you use, and can lead to control of other devices. The heat pump/AC issue that some have already experienced is another box connected directly to the outside compressor or your hot water heater that they have used to reduce your power consumption. If I remember right, that program is called Cool Sentry.

http://www.smecocoolsentry.com/

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Sorry guys and gals, got confused with my electric co. stuff, GW you are right, i think what they installed is called Cool Sentry, but they can turn the heat off that way also i think. I don't think they can control the hot water heater yet.

Sorry guys and gals, got confused with my electric co. stuff, GW you are right, i think what they installed is called Cool Sentry, but they can turn the heat off that way also i think. I don't think they can control the hot water heater yet.

We're both right. It was used and discontinued.

How is SMECO CoolSentry different from the previous Load Management program?
The old Load Management program utilized switches positioned on your hot water heater, heat pump, central air conditioner, or any combination of the three. These switches allowed us to automatically cycle your equipment at times when regional demand for electricity soared. In return for your participation, you had received SMECO bill credits: $2.50 per water heater monthly, over the course of a year; $5 per central A/C unit or heat pump monthly, during the cooling season, June through October.
SMECO CoolSentry will utilize a programmable thermostat or Digital Cycling Unit (DCU), which will activate A/C or heat pump cycling automatically when conditions warrant. In return for your participation, you will receive $50 in SMECO bill credits, annually, awarded June through October. Hot water heaters are not eligible for this program.

SMECO CoolSentry Programmable Thermostat and Installation

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I remember hearing something about Cool Sentry. $17 extra a month is crazy. Are the benefits of this meter going to out weigh any negatives? Anyone getting this new meter?