Cove Point LNG

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Why is this a big deal?
There is already a gas terminal with storage for ships there and a pipe line in place.

A friend posted a video about protesting the LNG terminal and I asked her why she objected to it and her answer was to un-friended me
It's adding 75 good jobs and paying the county $40 mil a year so I don't see the problem :shrug:

glhs837

Power with Control
Coworker who lives in the ranch estates was going off some. Luckily for me, he's the kind who can be reasoned with. The article he read had this scary red circle, but oddly enough, no mention in the article as to what circle meant. Certain immolation? Growing extra limbs? Crappy reporting, as seems to be the norm. Cant find the article. Was SMnewstnet or SOMD new, or maybe the Baynet.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The funny thing is: most of the people protesting this addition to the existing facility, fail to mention or seem to have issue with having a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT in southern Calvert county! Or SMECO installing more miles of the high voltage power lines to southern Calvert co; to be linked w/ St Mary's county. (and having read about the connection w/ cancer some 30 years ago, I suspect most people are familiar with the studies linking high voltage power lines and cancer). Don't get me wrong- I am all for additional dependability (although I personally think SMECO has an excellent track record) but I would have expected the environmental groups to be louder about it.

dgates80

Land of the lost
Why is this a big deal?
There is already a gas terminal with storage for ships there and a pipe line in place.

A friend posted a video about protesting the LNG terminal and I asked her why she objected to it and her answer was to un-friended me
It's adding 75 good jobs and paying the county $40 mil a year so I don't see the problem :shrug:

I agree, it's not an issue. I would have thought folks would object mostly on the basis of further urbanization of Calvert county, but that has gone without comment. IMHO, further urbanization of Calvert County is inevitiable, as the Boston-to-DC megopolis continues to grow and spread. Eventually it will encompass Richmond, too.

I see this as a "done deal" at this point, it's quite unlikely anything locally is going to stop it from happening.

officeguy

That'd be a great deal for the Ukraine...they could owe the US billions for natural gas, and never have to worry about paying it.

It is not so much Ukraine but the rest of europe that wants to get off their dependency from the russians. Germany, austria, poland, they are all pretty solvent and looking for alternate supply lines.

dgates80

Land of the lost
That'd be a great deal for the Ukraine...they could owe the US billions for natural gas, and never have to worry about paying it.

He's right though, if Russia keeps not getting paid for their gas, Ukraine will be cut off from Russian gas, along with the EU countries like Germany etc. Sorta like SMECO if you don't pay the electric bill. However we'll just give them a couple of plane loads of cash to, in turn, give to the Russians. How's THAT for irony.

softtouch

I don't hear much talk about what will be lost if the LNG plant expansion is denied. The plant will probably be forced to close as importing gas is no longer a viable business. The current jobs and tax revenue would be lost.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't hear much talk about what will be lost if the LNG plant expansion is denied. The plant will probably be forced to close as importing gas is no longer a viable business. The current jobs and tax revenue would be lost.

Very good point. The Valero terminal facility here in Piney Point is all but shut down due to similar changes in the economics of petroleum products. But unlike the situation at Cove Point, the Piney Point terminal does not have the option to reverse direction and support exports instead of incoming product.