Home heating Oil...regional competition?

Hessian

So SoMd Oil came by today...(I didn't call)...and dropped off oil for 4.099/gallon.

Before I go ballistic,...is this a decent market price?
Is there an efficient web site where we (consumers) can compare prices in the market?
The alternative is to call each of the oil distributors & inquire (tedious).

So...someone give me an idea where I can scrape up 830.00 for ONE oil fill?
(And trust me,...I did all I could with my EPA-ILLEGAL wood stove to help heat the house this winter!)

Gooseneck

You might want to call around. I had a Ridgell delivery last week at 3.99, but don't know what they are now. I have no idea why heating oil is so expensive; it's as expensive as on-road diesel. Keep your chin up...winter is almost over!

thisnthat

Home heating oil

Good luck. I was out of oil mid Dec through February. I called every company and my big problem was not having a credit card. I am on social security and do not have credit cards. Some refused a debit card. I was told to contact an oil company in Indian Head. I was approved paying with cash "BUT" they charge double, needless to say I did without heat.

I ended up with an oil company out of Edgewater, MD as they would accept a bank check or money order. I got 200 gal. for $779.80 (Griffith Energy Svc. Inc.

Again, good luck!

Hessian

Thisnthat,....
I hate to say it,...that sounds truly desperate. I am not in that bad of a pinch, merely pissed off.
You however sound like you have felt it much worse!...apologies.

This is wrong,...on every level.
We have the oil, the refineries, the man power, the infrastructure...
and we pay,...because of the misguided agenda of an anti-capitalist pseudo intellectual, who believes in the myth of Man-made global warming,...and wants as many as possible dependent on a bloated, ineffective, over paid government.
This is so wrong.

It was 2.50/gallon when he was immaculated.

MarieB

So SoMd Oil came by today...(I didn't call)...and dropped off oil for 4.099/gallon.

Is there an efficient web site where we (consumers) can compare prices in the market?

(And trust me,...I did all I could with my EPA-ILLEGAL wood stove to help heat the house this winter!)

That is high. Heating oil was down this year at the beginning of the season. Not sure what has happened since then

Call Griffith.

nutz

Good luck. I was out of oil mid Dec through February. I called every company and my big problem was not having a credit card. I am on social security and do not have credit cards. Some refused a debit card. I was told to contact an oil company in Indian Head. I was approved paying with cash "BUT" they charge double, needless to say I did without heat.

I ended up with an oil company out of Edgewater, MD as they would accept a bank check or money order. I got 200 gal. for $779.80 (Griffith Energy Svc. Inc.

Again, good luck!
Did you write down who you spoke with? That is not the company policy. The policy is for new customers to come by and pay upfront or agree to be there at delivery and pay in cash. There is not any price doubling for paying by cash. Until you have an established record, credit isnt an option.

nutz

Thisnthat,....
I hate to say it,...that sounds truly desperate. I am not in that bad of a pinch, merely pissed off.
You however sound like you have felt it much worse!...apologies.

This is wrong,...on every level.
We have the oil, the refineries, the man power, the infrastructure...
and we pay,...because of the misguided agenda of an anti-capitalist pseudo intellectual, who believes in the myth of Man-made global warming,...and wants as many as possible dependent on a bloated, ineffective, over paid government.
This is so wrong.

It was 2.50/gallon when he was immaculated.
They certainly have something to do with it. They announce that big oil is a good thing and coal, nuclear, etc. are bad while we lose. The pipeline projects didn't help. Exports are up, look at the propane fiasco.
The wholesale market got fooled a little this year. It was a weather thing, unexpected long term cold. "Pre-buy" bulk contracts were, for the most part, used up by mid February forcing companies to buy on the open markets. Combine that with the fact of SMOenergy.com, buying out the smaller guys until you are basically left with two; Sonny Burch and Blaylock Wills (SMO). Have you also noticed the retail gasoline market changes? The Shell and Texaco signs are almost all gone, generic gasoline is coming to a pump near you.
http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/heating-oil.aspx

We managed to completely run out of oil a few weeks ago. They came out that night to fill our tank and we got the $4.099 gallon too. Damn that was a shock when I got the bill.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
wasn't long ago that I was struggling to pay the $600 balance on my Griffith account so I could get more oil, I did, and ordered 100 more gallons ONLY, in an attempt to not have to pay to fill the tank up - I just wanted to have enough to get by until Spring and then I would get oil next Fall. I hear beeping the other day and by the time I get oustide to look, it's a Griffith truck filling up my tank grrrrr. I hope they at least put my account on the billing program now so I don't end up having to pay them $1,100 lump sum since they filled my tank w/o me requesting it, otherwise I'll be paying interest on the balance as I pay it down $200 a month over time. Anyone else not on auto-delivery get a surprise refill?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I got a guy in Oklahoma @ $1.09

Delivery is $3 a gallon....

Chris0nllyn

wasn't long ago that I was struggling to pay the $600 balance on my Griffith account so I could get more oil, I did, and ordered 100 more gallons ONLY, in an attempt to not have to pay to fill the tank up - I just wanted to have enough to get by until Spring and then I would get oil next Fall. I hear beeping the other day and by the time I get oustide to look, it's a Griffith truck filling up my tank grrrrr. I hope they at least put my account on the billing program now so I don't end up having to pay them $1,100 lump sum since they filled my tank w/o me requesting it, otherwise I'll be paying interest on the balance as I pay it down $200 a month over time. Anyone else not on auto-delivery get a surprise refill?

I'm only on the Price Protection plan and they topped off my tank last week.

172 gallons in 2 months....