Judge upholds CT gun laws

Chris0nllyn

A federal judge on Thursday upheld Connecticut's tough gun control law that was passed in the wake of the deadly 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

"While the act burdens the plaintiffs' Second Amendment rights, it is substantially related to the important governmental interest of public safety and crime control," Covello wrote in his 47-page ruling

"The common-sense measures we enacted last session will make our state safer, and I am grateful for the court's seal of approval," said Malloy, who signed the measures into law on April 4, 2013, the day after they were approved by both the state Senate and House of Representatives.

In his ruling, the judge noted that the state's law does not prohibit handguns, bolt-action rifles, revolvers or most shotguns.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/31/us-usa-guncontrol-connecticut-idUSBREA0U06H20140131

:cussing:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"The common-sense measures we enacted last session will make our state safer, and I am grateful for the court's seal of approval," said Malloy,

That's a first. How on earth does that tool think that their law will make the state safer??

Chris0nllyn

I'm sick and tired of the "We know it limits your 2A rights, but it's for public safety" argument.

If that's the case, why not Stop and Frisk everywhere? It burdens people's 4A rights, but it's for safety.
Public Demonstrations should be banned. It burdens your 1A rights, but they can turn into riots quickly, and if we get rid of them, it's more safe.

Not to mention the door this opens up for more restrictive laws in anti-gun states. (i.e. Maryland) I imagine we'll need to register our grandathered ARs and "high capacity mags".

It's worth noting (to anyone interested) he was appointed by George H W Bush.

Last edited:

Hijinx

I'm sick and tired of the "We know it limits your 2A rights, but it's for public safety" argument.

If that's the case, why not Stop and Frisk everywhere? It burdens people's 4A rights, but it's for safety.
Public Demonstrations should be banned. It burdens your 1A rights, but they can turn into riots quickly, and if we get rid of them, it's more safe.

Not to mention the door this opens up for more restrictive laws in anti-gun states. (i.e. Maryland) I imagine we'll need to register our grandathered ARs and "high capacity mags".

It's worth noting (to anyone interested) he was appointed by George H W Bush.

We have an election coming up in Maryland. Let's get rid of the turds that pass these laws.

Chris0nllyn

We have an election coming up in Maryland. Let's get rid of the turds that pass these laws.

Good luck with that. Dems hold the majority...by a long shot.

There is a DINO movement though. How large it is, and how much it really effects anythig is yet to be seen.

This_person

What, exactly, does the CT law do that improves public safety? Be specific.

Since the two main purposes of the second amendment are to allow citizens to help protect the country from foreign or domestic aggression, and to overthrow a tyrannical government, this law makes it much safer for aggressors and tyrants. :shrug: Seems pretty clear.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
What, exactly, does the CT law do that improves public safety? Be specific.

Nothing. It just makes citizens less able to care for themselves, and simply gives more power to the state. Don't just leave CT, but leave in a hurry and diminish the tax base even further. That should translate into less government, right, and less intrusion?:lmao:

BigBlue

Nothing. It just makes citizens less able to care for themselves, and simply gives more power to the state. Don't just leave CT, but leave in a hurry and diminish the tax base even further. That should translate into less government, right, and less intrusion?:lmao:

How Jr ,does it ban all guns ?

This_person

How Jr ,does it ban all guns ?
It doesn't. It simply infringes on the right of the people to keep and bear arms by limiting the arms that can be kept and borne. How does that improve safety? If less arms are the key, are you for disarming SWAT, then the police in general, and then the military?

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's a first. How on earth does that tool think that their law will make the state safer??

The thing is, it shouldn't matter if these laws make the state safer. That's not the purpose of our courts; to uphold laws that violate the constitution in the interest of public safety.

But..................................................... As an uninformed, uneducated public, we get the government we deserve.