CO middle school field trip to gun range

Chris0nllyn

It wasn’t your typical field trip. A group of students in Pueblo County was firing live ammo and learning about gun safety.

"I'm very excited, today we're going to come out here on the gun range and shoot a little bit. The past week we've learned about the revolutionary war," said Jonah Statezny, a Craver middle school student.

"My favorite part is shooting guns. When I was little we used to go to the shooting range," said another student, Danielle Cooper.

These students have been on field trips before. But not one quite like this.

Guns in school can be a touchy subject.

"Often firearms and schools don't mix. There's a big fear there. So we are pushing the safety aspect and hopefully ease some people’s fears," said Timothy Baird, with the Craver Middle School

http://www.krdo.com/news/students-at-the-shooting-range-for-gun-safety/25055098

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Now that is a topic that should be mandatory, with an opt-out provisions for parents. Complete common sense approach. Once they learn properly the safety and shooting aspects of guns, they'll know what it is about, and the respect needed for firearms.

Whether the like it for future sport or not, they'll know how to do it.:yay:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I wonder how many disapproving teachers messed their panties when they found out rifles were brought into the school for the classroom portion of this exercise.

Chris0nllyn

Now that is a topic that should be mandatory, with an opt-out provisions for parents. Complete common sense approach. Once they learn properly the safety and shooting aspects of guns, they'll know what it is about, and the respect needed for firearms.

Whether the like it for future sport or not, they'll know how to do it.:yay:

Totally agree, and the Appleseed Project is probably the best suited to do the instruction. They learn marksmanship, safety, and history in the same day.

I wish I had that when I was in school.