I Am Horse Shopping

chicamuxen

I have begun shopping for another horse. I have a semi-retired horse at home and need a younger horse to do more active riding on. What I am looking for: Mare or gelding, enjoyable personality that lives well with other horses, 14.3 -15.1 hands, 4-11 yrs old, SOUND for all types of use, smart, brave and basicly sane. Must have good bone and feet, and be a straight mover. Some saddle training preferred. I am not looking for a “finished” horse,but no wack jobs or hopeless projects. I can do my own training but I'm getting older, don't bounce like I used to and would prefer a horse that has been under saddle for a while so I can try them out under saddle. I might make an exception for an unstarted but nice younger horse.

I mainly trail ride, but I have a widely varied riding background. I have been doing endurance riding for some years with a smattering of other equine sports, but will probably not be doing 50 mile rides any more due to worn out knees. I like athletic W/T/C horses. No gaited horses, no draft crosses, or low headed, downhill, or sway backed horses please. I like a horse that has some lift or spring to it’s movement, no toe draggers. Cross-breds or mutt horses are fine if they are built to be nimble and athletic. I enjoy crossbreds, like Arab crosses, Morgan, TWH crosses, App crosses, QTR crosses and TB crosses. Not all gaited breed horses actually gait so I would consider a W/T/C TWH or RMH, etc. I like the type of horse that goes up to new things to investigate, not spaz out and run. I am not looking for a show horse, arena training not important to me, I can do that myself. I do not need the proven child-proof or husband horse which usually means a higher $$ price. I really do like a short horse so I really don't need that tall dressage prospect that you need to sell to pay a college tuition bill!

I am a short 62 year old, financially sound woman who owns a small farmette with my spouse. I have 50+ years experience with horses. My horses live just outside my back door and have a great barn, good fencing, great feed and vet/hoof care. I am getting ready to retire and I’m going to have a lot more time to ride! I need a 2nd horse to ride and keep my other horse company. Because he now has allergy problems his activity has limitations, so I need a younger, useable horse. I like mountain riding, horse camping, jumping, 25 mile CTR rides, etc. I have promised DH to keep my spending to a minimum, we are retiring after all, so yes, I’m looking for a bargain. It has to be a bargain, under $1600. Yes, I know it sounds like I want a lot for little $$ but they exist out there. I just cannot afford to pay for someone else's training bills.

Will drive to locations in MD, most of VA and southern areas of PA. One day trips from Southern MD are my limits in travel time. Request photos or videos first if possible. If you know of a horse that may interest me please email me at: chicamuxen at hughes dot net Please use my email address instead of replying to the forum.

Bonnie Snodgrass

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Bonnie - You could make an offer on this fellow, and geld him:
http://classifieds.somd.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=53965&query=retrieval

A 'good' stallion makes a GREAT gelding. I've gelded many studs and turned them into superior trail mounts. In a quiet stud the studly-mindset goes after a few weeks - poof! it's forgotten. Have no idea what breed he is though.

From the ad:
This stallion is outstandingly bred; has great conformation; and has a disposition of a true gentleman! He has been used for play, very uncomplicated and simple to ride. Has one of those personalities that you will hardly find, super toleranted. He has smooth gaits and is very much a kick-and-pull, point-and-shoot type of a horse, they don't get any simpler than this guy. He has the most adorable personality you could ask for, definitely a people horse, loves attention, he thinks he is a dog. He rides in just a snaffle bit, will also ride in a halter, has been ridden bareback. He would look super cute english! Great ground manners, easy to catch, he catches you in the pasture, easy to clip, bathe, pick feet, saddle, bridle, stands tied anywhere, stands great for mount and dismount, and he is quiet for the vet and the farrier. Gets along well with other horses, happy kept turned out in the pasture, or kept in a stall. He rides cute, knows his leads, rides around with a relaxed, natural headset, trail rides on a loose rein. Contact for more information and video.

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Oh that's weird. Why advertise in these classifieds? My bad I didn't notice that location. Thanks

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Oh that's weird. Why advertise in these classifieds? My bad I didn't notice that location. Thanks

No, the ad you posted states Halethorpe which is in Maryland, I didn't mean to call you out but to call out the seller. I hate ads with incomplete info. But they've posted the same ad in Chicago. Maybe they've relocated or maybe it's spam/a scam? Who knows! :)

chicamuxen

See, when I read that ad it sound so phony and unreal to me. Didn't say what breed of horse, size, age, any of the things that any person would be wanting to know. Stallion and they don't even say what breed???

So far I've been pretty disappointed in the horses that I've looked at, little bitty eyes, narrow, bulgy foreheads, crooked legs, crooked movement, sullen or tense personalities, rain rot bodies. Best one I've looked at has been a large 1/2 Arab Mule. Just keep looking......

chicamuxen

chicamuxen

I sure sounded pessimistic in my recent post. I realized that I had seen a couple of nicer horses that just weren't what I want. This horse hunting is just frustrating. When I quit looking the right one may just fall in my lap, or step on my toes.

chicamuxen

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I know you said no draft crosses but the quality of draft crosses has been on a major rise the past 5 years or so as they've gained in popularity. I wouldn't discount looking at a draft cross, you may be pleasantly surprised. :)

Good luck!

DeeCee

A horse of course!
She's a tiny little wisp of a thing....i can see the caption of a pix of her on a draft cross now "Does this tiny little woman make my BUTT look big?" :lmao:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I have a friend who has a drop dead gorgeous buckskin half Arab filly (mare by now?) out of an Appaloosa mare that she leased from me a few years ago (that mare is still doing Fox hunts at 18 or 19 years young!). I've reached out to see if she's thinking of selling her or one of her others (she's an Arab breeder), she's moving soon. Ya never know...until ya know. MAN if you could get that buckskin filly you'd count your blessings. She's to die for.....

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
She's a tiny little wisp of a thing....i can see the caption of a pix of her on a draft cross now "Does this tiny little woman make my BUTT look big?" :lmao:

Well, I don't know her but, not all draft crosses are big. :) And not all draft or draft crosses are wide. My full draft and a draft cross I'm looking at both take medium saddle, more narrow than most quarter horses and many warmbloods. :)

worthycommand

chicamuxen

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I do like many Morgans, I owned a wonderful tall Morgan gelding some years ago and he was just a wonderful horse. I do want a short horse and light on their feet sort. I did however go look at a few mules! One was a half Arab but he hadn't been ridden more than three or four times in the last 7-8 years and I just felt it would be a start all over project and the mule was in his teens. I passed on him. I do find that most that I want to look at are far enough away that it takes most of a day to go look, ride and drive home. I have so much to do around here that it is hard to take half of my weekend. I bet if I had no horse at all I'd be hunting like crazy but I do have a horse here that also needs to get ridden.

I am picky, I don't like buying and selling horses so I don't want to buy just any horse. I want a keeper! I'm waiting for that right feeling.

Bonnie