Bicycles

C

czygvtwkr

I'm thinking about buying one of the hybrid mountian/comfort bikes and wanted some opinions.

Firstoff I really just want it to get some exercise and I will most likely be riding it around the neighborhood and maybe on bike trails. I don't ever plan on being one of thsoe people that dress in bike shorts etc and ride down 235, so no skinny up the butt seat bikes for me, that and I value not being ran over.

Does anyone know anything about the ones with the 700c size tires? Walmart has a Schwinn that I like the look of but I'm not sure what to look for in a bike and don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, I think the people that pay thousands for a bicycle are either Lance Armstrong or insane.

How exactly do you determine if it fits you? I'm 6'5" with a big frame and could stand to lose a few pounds. That said I can still ride my old 10 speed that I got for Christmas when I was 11 years old back in 1986 just fine.

This is the one I am thinking about getting
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Third-Avenue-700C-Men-s-Bike-Blue/34931888

Last edited by a moderator:
go over to the bike dealer in Solomons. don't listen about the tires tho, get some good ones.

always buy good stuff, makes you happy.

oh you can test ride and they will help a lot!

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

go over to the bike dealer in Solomons. don't listen about the tires tho, get some good ones.

always buy good stuff, makes you happy.

oh you can test ride and they will help a lot!

What will they say about tires? My bike from 1986 has the original tires still on it and I rode the hell out of that thing as a kid.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'd go one way or the other, but not a hybrid. If you get a hybrid, they are really not worth much off road, because the tires are not fat enough, but it will suffice on the road, but with much less speed than a skinny tire.

If you have enough money for a decent mountain bike and a standard road bike, go for it.

Good luck with the decision, and I'd base it on which you plan on doing more of.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Well I don't really care about how fast I go and don't want to be bent over. I just want something comfortable, versatile, and that helps me stay active by being something I want to ride.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Well I don't really care about how fast I go and don't want to be bent over. I just want something comfortable, versatile, and that helps me stay active by being something I want to ride.

Nothing wrong with that. Tire size really does not mean much - the frame size for a tall dude like you is critical. Most new mountain bikes come with around 29" tires vs. the older standard 26". That'll help you out there. If your weight matches your height, if you plan on going off road you'll need a pure mountain bike, on the road really doesn't matter.

I like riding my mountain bike on paved trails at times, and passing up skinny tires all dressed up in their nylon stretchies/gortex/spandex. Really pisses them off

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Go to Dick's and look at their hybrids. That's where I got mine and I've been very happy with it. They'll fit you to the bike right then and there, adjust the seat, handle bars, whatever, until it fits and is comfortable. You can even have them swap out the saddle for you if the one on your bike is too small.

Don't go to WalMart - they don't know what they're doing there. It's worth it to get a better bike, especially if you're a big guy.

Makavide

Not too talkative
Patuxent Adventure Center over in Solomon's. they will spend whatever time it takes with you making sure you have the right bike for the riding you want to do. Then they will make sure the whole bike fits you, so that you are comfortable riding it, getting the right size frame, changing out handle bar stems if you don't want to be bent over too much. Adjusting the saddle height. They will even let you bring back the saddle and trade it in for a different one, with in time frame I cant remember, if you aren't comfortable with the one you left with.

(and the bike shorts are to help eliminate chaffing)

dave1959

Spend the money on a good bike, new or used. You will not be disappointed. Go to a bike store and get a professional opinion not walmart.

What will they say about tires? My bike from 1986 has the original tires still on it and I rode the hell out of that thing as a kid.

The tires they recommended to my son for his long bike trip were too light weight. He kept having flats from tiny little road debris. He got really good and fast at changing tubes.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I bought this 2 years ago and am pretty happy with it. Its a little heavier than most high dollar bikes but its still aluminum and built really solid.

http://www.kmart.com/schwinn-suburban-26inch-mens-comfort-bike/p-00630015000P

I also picked up a 1992 GT mountain bike off SOMD classifieds for $30. It sat in some guys garage forever and was almost new. That bike was $600 in 1992.

I'm 6'2" and both these are plenty big enough for me.

Good deal. 22 years ago ain't gonna happen today.

Spend at least 100% over bike supermarkets (SA, Dicks, WM, whatever), and you will be very happy for a long time. Especially the weight you carry around on the bike frame alone.

Go to a bike store. You will be very happy with what you purchase (right size, especially), vs the weight and no service you will receive from the box stores.

Just a pound or two is huge. Especially lugging it around.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ha, same one I have, and it's great. Cant buy them anymore though. For general all around use, I love it.