Dead chicks, darn fox!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So I got some white leghorn chicks and put them in a sturdy cage last night outside after they had spent time indoors and were ready to go outside.

Fox got stuck inside the cage so was there at 6:45 when we discovered it. The fox had killed them all and eaten 3 of the 4 chicks. We let the fox go. My fault that I left one side of the cage unsecured so the fox pushed that side in.

So if anyone knows of any large white egg layers available, let me know. I'm willing to take chicks up to 1 year olds.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
PS my big bad American Bulldog / Pit Bull mix was outside on the deck sleeping a few feet from the cage and did nothing to prevent the fox from getting in the cage. My boy is fired as a guard dog for the farm. Its obvious he is only meant to be a lover-boy.

I'm in the market for a REAL guard dog also lol.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It's your fault the chicks died, then. Why would you get any more - that seems pretty irresponsible. :coffee:

You are a judgeMENTAL better-than-thou piece of #### of a human being. Maybe you need some joy in life so you can stop being the negative vibe flinging you do. #### you biatch.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
You are a judgeMENTAL better-than-thou piece of #### of a human being. Maybe you need some joy in life so you can stop being the negative vibe flinging you do. #### you biatch.
Really? You posted your business on a public forum and expected and invited NO discussion, judgmental comments, discourse whatsoever?

I am hateful for asking an obvious question?

You said it was NOT the fox's fault the chick died....so you let it go. I am confused by that - as a fox is a fox is a fox and it will always do what a fox is going to do. PREY & kill to eat.

Why would you therefore, NOT prevent the fox from trying to kill the chicks in the future?

A dog outside nearby which never made a peep around a fox killing it's prey is very odd, as well. I would imagine a cage full of little baby chicks could make quite a ruckus.

But hey - who am I to ask a question since you obviously go into psychiatric convulsions over anyone "judging" your motives. More than a few posters (besides me) on this forum have also questioned your "techniques/methods/motives" as they pertain to your so-called "Pet rescue" agency/business or whatever you want to call it. So I apparently not the only one.

Seek help, you're a nuttie.

owenslx3

Tractor supply had some yesterday I thought they said they were leghorns and that they really needed to get rid of them because they were getting big enough to fly out of the containers. Should have killed the fox though. He will be back

mamatutu

mama to two
So I got some white leghorn chicks and put them in a sturdy cage last night outside after they had spent time indoors and were ready to go outside.

Fox got stuck inside the cage so was there at 6:45 when we discovered it. The fox had killed them all and eaten 3 of the 4 chicks. We let the fox go. My fault that I left one side of the cage unsecured so the fox pushed that side in.

So if anyone knows of any large white egg layers available, let me know. I'm willing to take chicks up to 1 year olds.

I am sorry, Arkie. I know you feel bad that it is your fault. Anytime, you have a farm type environment, these things happen. We have read many stories on here about losing animals to wildlife, whether it be local, or national. You can't think of everything all of the time. I know you are very busy with work, and what you do for the animals. :huggy:

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
2014-04-12-newchicks.jpg
Tractor supply had some yesterday I thought they said they were leghorns and that they really needed to get rid of them because they were getting big enough to fly out of the containers. Should have killed the fox though. He will be back

I was thinking to kill him but a 380 was overkill (especially at 6:45 AM) and I never got around to buying a 22 before they changed the buying laws. So I'll have to apply soon to get the ball rolling. If we had killed him blunt force it would have been traumatic to ME also, so after a bit of thought, I decided it was better to let the fox go since it was MY fault he was able to get into the cage I had the chicks in. I have seen the fox tracks in the snow around my big pens, but he was not able to get in, not from any angle really. I am just shocked I didn't notice that corner wasn't secure because I KNOW the predators make their rounds and they move on because I know to secure my livestock, usually :frown:.

I went to Tractor Supply this morning and was feeling pretty lucky to find they had White Leghorns which is what were killed - wow I was thrilled. So I got 6 of those and 2 of the brown straight run whatever they were. I'll have these 8 in a new pen once they are big enough to be outside. For now they are peeping away in a 30 gallon Rubbermaid-type bin in my living room :biggrin:. They have managed to make quite a mess already, and some of them are a tad wet from playing in the water in less then 12 hours LOL.

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am sorry, Arkie. I know you feel bad that it is your fault. Anytime, you have a farm type environment, these things happen. We have read many stories on here about losing animals to wildlife, whether it be local, or national. You can't think of everything all of the time. I know you are very busy with work, and what you do for the animals. :huggy:

Thanks - this was a wake-up call to me to inspect everything here carefully again.

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks - this was a wake-up call to me to inspect everything here carefully again.

I forgot to say that I am glad you let the fox go. :smile: Where there is one fox, there is another, so killing one doesn't eliminate the problem. It pains me to see one dead on the side of the road. Let us not forget that the elite hunt fox for sport; which, also, pains me. I am pretty sure they don't put that fox on the dinner table. Animals were here first, so we should learn to live with them instead, of trying to annihilate them because of inconvenience, and aggravation. Humans eat animals. So, really, what is the difference? Another hug! :huggy:

Oh, and I didn't forget about donating. I am just maxxed right now because daughter is getting married in a month. When I surface from that, I will be back on track. :smile:

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:lol: I turned on my radio this am and T-Bone was saying "when a fox is in the hen house - you kill it because it's a fox! It will come back again unless you do".
(Paraphrased)
He was actually referring to a political situation and was making an analogy, of course. Still funny.

Chris0nllyn

I was thinking to kill him but a 380 was overkill (especially at 6:45 AM) and I never got around to buying a 22 before they changed the buying laws. So I'll have to apply soon to get the ball rolling. If we had killed him blunt force it would have been traumatic to ME also, so after a bit of thought, I decided it was better to let the fox go since it was MY fault he was able to get into the cage I had the chicks in. I have seen the fox tracks in the snow around my big pens, but he was not able to get in, not from any angle really. I am just shocked I didn't notice that corner wasn't secure because I KNOW the predators make their rounds and they move on because I know to secure my livestock, usually :frown:.

I went to Tractor Supply this morning and was feeling pretty lucky to find they had White Leghorns which is what were killed - wow I was thrilled. So I got 6 of those and 2 of the brown straight run whatever they were. I'll have these 8 in a new pen once they are big enough to be outside. For now they are peeping away in a 30 gallon Rubbermaid-type bin in my living room :biggrin:. They have managed to make quite a mess already, and some of them are a tad wet from playing in the water in less then 12 hours LOL.

A 380 is not overkill, and nothing happened with laws on .22s (unless you're talking about a .22 handgun)