Easter lilies pose a danger to cats

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Thanks for the info.

1. Now I may have a way to finally get rid of that remaining stinking, useless, rug-shredding, curtain climbing, flea bringing in, hairball upchucking, urine-staining fur ball, and have it happen naturally.

2. With my luck, though, it will probably thrive on the pollen and plant poison, and turn into the cat that ate the neighborhood.

Choice #1 is from my heart, though.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's a cheap shot. The ASPCA lists them but specifies the toxin to 'unknown'.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/easter-lily

I've been around Easter lilies my entire life and none of us have ever heard that before, even my friends in plant academia. Nor have I, or anyone I know, ever seen or heard of a cat getting sick, let alone dying by an Easter lily.

But, it's listed and I am not going to argue it won't do harm. Just never seen or heard it.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
That's a cheap shot. The ASPCA lists them but specifies the toxin to 'unknown'.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/easter-lily

I've been around Easter lilies my entire life and none of us have ever heard that before, even my friends in plant academia. Nor have I, or anyone I know, ever seen or heard of a cat getting sick, let alone dying by an Easter lily.

But, it's listed and I am not going to argue it won't do harm. Just never seen or heard it.

I have worked at the ER Vet for over 8 yrs.... we see several cats this time of year that end up being PTS due to kidney failure. Owners dont figure it out until a day or so later ... now the cat is very sick and the toxins have already damaged the kidneys.

we see several cases of Peace Lily ingestion .... those are far worse. (90% of the time these plants were brought into the owners house due to a death in the family... and then they have to send their cat there also)

In 8 years I have only seen 1 cat leave and that was because the owner saw the cat near the "new" plant messing with it. Looked it up on line and got the cat to us fast. Cat was monitored over the next day and kidney values never raised. Owner was never sure if the cat really ate any of the plant but took action.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have worked at the ER Vet for over 8 yrs.... we see several cats this time of year that end up being PTS due to kidney failure. Owners dont figure it out until a day or so later ... now the cat is very sick and the toxins have already damaged the kidneys.

we see several cases of Peace Lily ingestion .... those are far worse. (90% of the time these plants were brought into the owners house due to a death in the family... and then they have to send their cat there also)

In 8 years I have only seen 1 cat leave and that was because the owner saw the cat near the "new" plant messing with it. Looked it up on line and got the cat to us fast. Cat was monitored over the next day and kidney values never raised. Owner was never sure if the cat really ate any of the plant but took action.

Interesting stuff! It would be nice if someone had done the research and narrowed it down a bit. I mean, this time of year, there is a FLOOD of flowers coming into bloom and into homes.

Does your experience of an uptick in kidney problems seem to correspond to Easter or more to early/mid April? I ask because Easter's date moves, anywhere from March 22 to April 25, and Easter lilies are only sold in that very narrow window of, pretty much the week before and that's it AND they go out of flower very fast.

Thanks for the feedback.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Interesting stuff! It would be nice if someone had done the research and narrowed it down a bit. I mean, this time of year, there is a FLOOD of flowers coming into bloom and into homes.

Does your experience of an uptick in kidney problems seem to correspond to Easter or more to early/mid April? I ask because Easter's date moves, anywhere from March 22 to April 25, and Easter lilies are only sold in that very narrow window of, pretty much the week before and that's it AND they go out of flower very fast.

Thanks for the feedback.

How about Alamanda's and Angel Trumpets? Are they related to the Easter Lilly? All are poisonous, and the trumpets are banned in numerous places in Fl.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:jameo: I actually have two of these plants and they are quite large now. They bloom a couple of times a year (they are blooming now) and I've never seen Simon even sniff at them.