Aldi Store

BigRox

Does anybody know when Aldi will be opening in California? Apologies in advance if this has been addressed previously, so no bashing replies necessary.

OldHillcrestGuy

They havent even started building any part of that shopping center yet. They have the roads leading into it paved and curbed and some land cleared.

C

czygvtwkr

Interested to learn what this "Aldi Store" is? Never heard of such a thing. :/

It is a cheap, small grocery store with a bunch of no name stuff that is run really well, usually only 3-4 employees run the entire store.

The carts are always returned because you have to put a quarter in one to use it, you get the quarter back when you return it. They also dont give you bags, those cost extra but they have all of the boxes at the checkout and those are free.

In some places they are just welfare dumps but others they are quite nice, it all depends on the locals that live in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Find...-Aldi-and-pocketing-a-quarter/118591324838868

C

czygvtwkr

That's a lot of good info. czygvtwkr. cool.

There was one in the town I went to college in and in my hometown and I shopped at them all the time.

While limited the meat and produce were quite good and it was a great place to stock up on canned goods. Every Thanksgiving my mom and I go to the one there and buy several cases of food for the homeless shelter because they have the best prices around.

The milk is only $2.50 for a gallon too.

monkeyboy0076

Aldi is great and I really missed it after moving from Virginia. It worked for me because it is a fairly limited selection so it was hard to splurge on stuff I didn't really need. I would say I cut my grocery bill almost in half compared to shopping at Safeway for similar items. It is mostly no-name/store-brand stuff but a lot of their food is as good (or even better) than the name brands - and they even have those sometimes too. I'm excited that there's one coming down South, but I don't see myself driving from Lusby to California for an Aldi trip

MDGator

Aldi is a sister store of Trader Joes. A lot of their items are their own brand and I've read that they are the same as much more expensive items sold at Trader Joes. There is one in Brandywine on the west side of US 301 across from the Safeway shopping center. Not bad, pretty clean, inexpensive - but small. They don't accept credit cards, only cash and possibly debit. More info: http://thehumbledhomemaker.com/2013/10/top-5-whole-foods-to-purchase-at-aldi.html.

C

czygvtwkr

There are also no prepared food, only dry good, canned goods, frozen goods, dairy, fresh meat, fresh produce, and the occasional weird thing thta grocery stores get to sell like lawn chairs.

MarieB

The only experience I have with Aldis is with one of the dumpier stores, so I wasn't that impressed. I look forward to checking out this one of/when it does open. My MIL loves the one near her, and my German friend likes to buy chocolate there

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
For you cheese lovers they have delicious cheap varieties of cheese- a wheel of Brie for $2.50 instead of $6-7 elsewhere.

While I'm all for cheaper prices, not much has been mentioned about quality of their brand of groceries. Anyone have any opinions on that? I do understand that it won't be gourmet level, but is it at least about as good as other store brands? Sometimes I find myself liking certain store brand things better than name brands at Walmart.

:coffee:

KDENISE977

While I'm all for cheaper prices, not much has been mentioned about quality of their brand of groceries. Anyone have any opinions on that? I do understand that it won't be gourmet level, but is it at least about as good as other store brands? Sometimes I find myself liking certain store brand things better than name brands at Walmart. :coffee:

I didn't realize there is one in Brandywine, I just looked up the online circular. :ohwell: it all looks to be organic :confused: I like Safeway and Giant :getdown:

OldHillcrestGuy

I didn't realize there is one in Brandywine, I just looked up the online circular. :ohwell: it all looks to be organic :confused: I like Safeway and Giant :getdown:

The store in Brandywine has proably been there going on 2 years now. Wife started going on the day they opened, came home with a load of groceries for less then $100. When they first opened and for about the first 4 months the place was empty, now its pretty busy. We usually stop in about every 2 weeks for a few things. Produce really good, milk is cheap, store very clean. They have started to get more name brands in. I love getting bags of corn chips there. Dont know the brand, but they are as good as Frito's. We get the ground turkey all the time and also the pork chops. I'd like to see one go in where Mckays was suppose to have gone in Charlotte Hall.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It is a cheap, small grocery store with a bunch of no name stuff that is run really well, usually only 3-4 employees run the entire store.

it is a German ? Chain Store
... limited to 'store' brands, food is decent, not Wegman's Gourmet but good .... limited stock, limits the pricing

there is one in Oxon Hill if anyone is in the neighborhood on Tanger Outlets or National Harbor .. my wife is in there a couple of times a month

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Aldi is a sister store of Trader Joes. A lot of their items are their own brand and I've read that they are the same as much more expensive items sold at Trader Joes. There is one in Brandywine on the west side of US 301 across from the Safeway shopping center. Not bad, pretty clean, inexpensive - but small. They don't accept credit cards, only cash and possibly debit. More info: http://thehumbledhomemaker.com/2013/10/top-5-whole-foods-to-purchase-at-aldi.html.

There are also no prepared food, only dry good, canned goods, frozen goods, dairy, fresh meat, fresh produce, and the occasional weird thing thta grocery stores get to sell like lawn chairs.

:yay:

Mr_Bond_Got_Em

The carts are always returned because you have to put a quarter in one to use it, you get the quarter back when you return it. They also dont give you bags, those cost extra but they have all of the boxes at the checkout and those are free.

In some places they are just welfare dumps but others they are quite nice, it all depends on the locals that live in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Find...-Aldi-and-pocketing-a-quarter/118591324838868

Yo!, Mr. White!!!! Thanks! ;)

BernieP

Resident PIA
it is a German ? Chain Store
... limited to 'store' brands, food is decent, not Wegman's Gourmet but good .... limited stock, limits the pricing

there is one in Oxon Hill if anyone is in the neighborhood on Tanger Outlets or National Harbor .. my wife is in there a couple of times a month

sounds like a smaller version of Food Lion
I'd rather get a Wegman's or another store that sold some "gourmet" stuff. Somewhere close I could buy a nice piece of meat, not have to go shopping on the weekend and freeze everything.
That's the difference between us and our cousins in Europe, they don't shop every 2 weeks and freeze.
They tend to eat fresh, small orders every couple of days.