Recommend a Mac laptop please

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
For a photographer who processes a lot of photo's. TIA :flowers:

I know nothing about macs.....

Pete

Repete
I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro and I love it. It has iPhoto but I don't goof with it so I can't say but I think they all come with it.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro and I love it. It has iPhoto but I don't goof with it so I can't say but I think they all come with it.
Thanks Pete. I read a lil about them.... Mac has a macbook pro "retina" that has an awesome screen resolution (4 million pixels).
I'm reading recommendations for i5 and even i7 too. These things aren't cheap either! ($3K)

Pete

Repete
Thanks Pete. I read a lil about them.... Mac has a macbook pro "retina" that has an awesome screen resolution (4 million pixels).
I'm reading recommendations for i5 and even i7 too. These things aren't cheap either! ($3K)

Mac isn't cheap. The new MacBook has a solid state hard drive they claim they are almost instant loading.

Mac isn't cheap. The new MacBook has a solid state hard drive they claim they are almost instant loading.

Solid state drives are better performing, but not that good yet. It still uses the same SATA I/O buss as a standard HDD. I have one in my laptop and it did increase performance, but it's not earthshaking.

Mac may have found a better way to cache and retrieve the running OS so it appears more instantaneous.

merc669

The retina screen is great! But as everyone has pointed out expensive. Also the batteries are not swappable on the new ones. I have an older MacBook Pro and other than needing to hook it to an external monitor the computer works fine. The LED Display just got old on it and faded away to darkness. But they are reliable and not as buggy as a windows. I also added the Apple Care. I had one fan failure and was going to cost me a lot to get it fixed. So it was peace of mind for a 2000 laptop at that time.

C

czygvtwkr

The retina screen is great! But as everyone has pointed out expensive. Also the batteries are not swappable on the new ones. I have an older MacBook Pro and other than needing to hook it to an external monitor the computer works fine. The LED Display just got old on it and faded away to darkness. But they are reliable and not as buggy as a windows. I also added the Apple Care. I had one fan failure and was going to cost me a lot to get it fixed. So it was peace of mind for a 2000 laptop at that time.

That doesn't exactly sound reliable to me.

merc669

That doesn't exactly sound reliable to me.
Mine is not the new one. Mine is a few years old (about 5). I was making the point of operating as a whole, my older Mac runs rings around a lot of what I do in my Sony Vaio Laptop which is only 2 years old. If I had the money and my laptop failed then it would be a Mac all the way. I am still contemplating replacing my Desktop with an IMac. I think I would have less headaches with my wife who can with no trouble at all find ways to crash and cause errors on my Win7 Desktop. She is very good at that....

TPD

the poor dad
I would go with a tricked out 13" MacBook Air for the lightweight portability and battery life. Add a thunderbolt external drive for photo storage. Maybe purchase a separate trackpad for easier navigation and editing of photos. Once you use an apple trackpad, you will never go back to a mouse.

iPhoto is a great program for advanced basic photo editing. I currently have a single library/file of more than 15,000 photos and have no issues with sluggishness.

We are a household with a 27" & 21" iMac, 13" MacBook Air, iPad, ipad2, iPad mini, and iPhones. Switched to Apple 3 years ago and never looked back. IMO it is money well spent. Much less headache with networking, viruses, bugs, etc. The included software is great and OS upgrades are painless and VERY INEXPENSIVE compared to anything Windows offers. Just my 2 cents.

MMM_donuts

I would just like to add that, yes, Macs are expensive but ours are covered by our home insurance. My husband broke the screen of his 5yo Macbook Pro and it was replaced with a brand new one at just the cost of our deductible. Something to consider.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Purchasing a Mac is like buying a high end car .... I bought a 17 inch Mac book Pro and I have a 2005 iMac 24 inch that was a give away when I migrated the users files to her new 27 inch iMac

wonderful computers ... 13 or 15 is the largest screen now