Why Jesus Became God: A Response to Bart Ehrman

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Haven't read the article, but a question for you:

Why don't you post a comment on your OP's to get the ball rolling instead of just a link? Just a sentence or two on your thoughts on the topic.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Haven't read the article, but a question for you: Why don't you post a comment on your OP's to get the ball rolling instead of just a link? Just a sentence or two on your thoughts on the topic.
Sure. Ehrman is just another former believer who became "enlightened" and is now no longer a "blind sheep." Evidence-based scholar who is now "smarter" than everyone else. Nothing groundbreaking just an interesting take from one of the few Jesuits whose opinion I value.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
OK. Having read the article, I agree as well with the author. Could never really understand why so many are just afraid of the light and desire to live in darkness, but that is just the nature of man, those, at least.

OK. Having read the article, I agree as well with the author. Could never really understand why so many are just afraid of the light and desire to live in darkness, but that is just the nature of man, those, at least.

Afraid of the light? If it is the nature of ‘religious man’ you are talking about, whose desire it is to live in darkness instead of light, then I could not agree more.

It is only ‘men of faith’ who kill in the name of God and when they aren’t killing men of an opposing religion, they are killing men of the same religion who happen to be in the ‘wrong’ sect. Men of faith do unspeakable horrors to their fellow men… torture, murder, pedophilia, sodomy, rape, hatred, bigotry, genocide, slavery,…the list goes on and on. This is the true legacy of ‘faith’. Not exactly what I would call ‘living in the light’.

'Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.'
- Blaise Pascal

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Afraid of the light? If it is the nature of ‘religious man’ you are talking about, whose desire it is to live in darkness instead of light, then I could not agree more.

It is only ‘men of faith’ who kill in the name of God and when they aren’t killing men of an opposing religion, they are killing men of the same religion who happen to be in the ‘wrong’ sect. Men of faith do unspeakable horrors to their fellow men… torture, murder, pedophilia, sodomy, rape, hatred, bigotry, genocide, slavery,…the list goes on and on. This is the true legacy of ‘faith’. Not exactly what I would call ‘living in the light’.

'Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.'
- Blaise Pascal

Your first sentence. My thought was that those that reject God are living in darkness because they choose to not have His light in them. If one outwardly appears to follow God, but inwardly does not, they are living in darkness as well.

No argument against your statement at all about the "religious" that kill and destroy in the name of their god.

StoneThrower

This is Heresy, Jesus has always been God and to deny that is to deny the trinity. Anyone that doesnt believe in the trinty is NOT a Christian! Ehrman
is a heretic.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Not sure how I missed this, but going to respond late anyway...

That's true enough I suppose, but the same could be said for men of secular ideologies. So, allow me to re-phrase your statement above and it will be no less true.

It is only men of secular ideology who kill in the name of secularism and when they aren’t killing men of an opposing secular ideology, they are killing men of the same ideology who happen to be in the wrong sect. Men of secular idealism do unspeakable horrors to their fellow men… torture, murder, pedophilia, sodomy, rape, hatred, bigotry, genocide, slavery,…the list goes on and on. This is the true legacy of secular ideology. Not exactly what I would call living enlightened.

I don't recall the thread, but there was one past where someone made the ignorant blanket statement that more people have died in the name of religion than anything. I dug up the stats proving that false. That's not to say that religion hasn't done it's share, it has, but that old tired adage that religion blah blah is just that, old and tired.

Unfortunately, killing in the name of :insert anything here: just seems to be a human thing that supersedes religion and/or secular ideology. :ohwell:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
This is Heresy, Jesus has always been God and to deny that is to deny the trinity. Anyone that doesnt believe in the trinty is NOT a Christian! Ehrman
is a heretic.

Ehrlman is heresy. The Trinity has always existed, and will always exist. Three separate personages - but always one at the same time - consistently. That is the hope of Christianity.

Last edited:

Zguy28

Ehrlman is heresy. The Trinity has always existed, and will always exist. Three separate personages - but always one at the same time - consistently. That is the hope of Christianity.

Actually, its not even that. Ehrman is an unbeliever. He's not even a Christian.