Students suspended for confederate flag

mamatutu

mama to two
The Confederate flag is part of our history; like it or not. I hate this picking and choosing of what is politically correct. A bunch of bull crap. The people that whine and complain about stupid crap don't see the big picture, and, also, don't realize that they will be responsible for bringing America to her knees, if this is allowed to continue. Very sad, and frightening. Happy early Cinco de Mayo and belated Kwansa! I just want to vomit when I read this crap.

What would happen if students walked in with a British flag draped over their shoulders? Do the students that were offended know history well enough to know that many Carpetbaggers after the Civil War were not white; as in Black (in case they are reading this)? We cannot hope that true history will be taught in the Common Core curriculum which hasn't taken full hold yet. God bless, America.

Last edited:

justiceforall

The only flag they should be walking around with is the American Flag. No other flag means anything. :patriot:

I agree. In my opinion, the school did the right thing. The rebels who committed treason against our country lost. The symbols they used should be put to rest.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Do you feel the same way if it were a Nazi flag?

Where do we draw the line? In a public high school, should there be a line on symbols and symbolism?

Symbols ONLY have the power that we, as individuals, give them. Certainly, some are, in general, more provocative than others but, especially in a high school, might this not be an opportunity for...teaching?
I mean, the concept that the news department is conferring 'hero' status on some kids based solely on the skin color is, in itself symbolic and not in a good way. Is there something wrong with a black if the Stars and Bars has no meaning to him? Good or bad? Are they a bad person if they look upon it as a provocation that has no effect on them? What if they don't feel threatened by it but, instead, look at it as a flag that says "I am a loser"? Or, if they are an art student, appreciate the pattern and colors?

There are, for sure, some flags that would bother me but, isn't that an opportunity for me to consider what bothers me about it, process it, learn and move on? Isn't that what we'd really like to see from our education system, that symbols only have limited power? We want art to evoke feelings. We'd like to feel pride at our own flag. It should be OK to cheer our teams symbols. But, as long as their is no action, no fighting over the display of, say, a Dallas Cowboy flag, isn't that the goal?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree. In my opinion, the school did the right thing. The rebels who committed treason against our country lost. The symbols they used should be put to rest.

Why? Wouldn't that be a lesson you'd want taught?

How about the US flag prior to 50 stars? Should the Ft. McHenry flag, on major display at the Smithsonian, be put away because it represents a nation that allowed slavery?

justiceforall

Why? Wouldn't that be a lesson you'd want taught?

How about the US flag prior to 50 stars? Should the Ft. McHenry flag, on major display at the Smithsonian, be put away because it represents a nation that allowed slavery?

We aren't talking about a museum. That would be an appropriate place for this symbol. In a museum, you can tell the story how the people who would be represented by this symbol lost. Same with a nazi flag or any other symbol of hatred.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We aren't talking about a museum. That would be an appropriate place for this symbol. In a museum, you can tell the story how the people who would be represented by this symbol lost. Same with a nazi flag or any other symbol of hatred.

Certainly, you can envision any number of symbols being brought into a school that could offend SOMEONE, yes? I am trying to focus on symbolism in general as specifics is a waste of time because there can't be an 'approved' and 'disapproved' list AND keep in the traditions and ideas of freedom of expression. Especially in a private school, this, to me, would have been a great 'teachable' moment.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The patriots who stood up for their state's rights against an oppressive and overreaching Federal government almost succeeded in establishing a separate union. That is history. Fortunately, not everyone is so keen on changing history like you are. The Soviets were masters of the art, however....."he who controls the past, controls the future".

Members of my family fought and died in that war..my GG grandfather being the only one of three brothers who fought that survived it. Not one slave was ever owned by my family and that typifies the average citizen and soldier; for the vast majority of those fighting it, it was never about slavery.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Aside from the free speech issue, I think these kids knew exactly what they were doing and what they wanted to accomplish: attention! They got it. Mission accomplished.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Aside from the free speech issue, I think these kids knew exactly what they were doing and what they wanted to accomplish: attention! They got it. Mission accomplished.

Of course they did. It was also after school.

Educators acting so viscerally is, frankly, stupid. "How could anyone do this????" :jameo:

dontknowwhy

Where's the justice for the kids trying to express a sense of southern pride?
I guess you really DON'T believe in justice for ALL.

dontknowwhy

How do you feel about your federal gov't imprisoning an entire state legislature without giving them an opportunity to choose a side?
Because, contrary to what you may feel...THAT was the act of treason Lincoln committed against America.
You have a really strange interpretation of what freedom is there Mao