Emissions

KDENISE977

I live in Charles county and had to get my vehicle emissions inspection done today. I was mentioning to one of my coworkers that I had to get this done and he looked at me puzzled. He lives in St. Mary's and said he's never had to get his vehicles emission inspection. I checked on the MD MVA website and it doesn't really say anywhere that St. Mary's residents are exempt, but it does say there is no inspection station in St. Mary's county. Are St. Mary's residents exempt? Is it a county or state emission inspection?
TIA :cheers:

glhs837

Power with Control
I live in Charles county and had to get my vehicle emissions inspection done today. I was mentioning to one of my coworkers that I had to get this done and he looked at me puzzled. He lives in St. Mary's and said he's never had to get his vehicles emission inspection. I checked on the MD MVA website and it doesn't really say anywhere that St. Mary's residents are exempt, but it does say there is no inspection station in St. Mary's county. Are St. Mary's residents exempt? Is it a county or state emission inspection?
TIA :cheers:

Yep, St Marys does not have an emissions requirement, along with some of the other counties with lower population density and better EPA air quality test results. Note my list is on the MD VEIP site, not the MVA

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/58000VEI/58000-06T.htm#appendixB

Vince

Yep, St Mary's county has not had this yet. Charles county and Calvert county have had it for the last 10 years or so. I live in Calvert and we've had it for a long time.

garyt27

INAFJ
It really is a matter of did the county want to take federal money for setting these up. The buildings that these stations are in are owned by the state but the Inspectors are contracted out of Missouri, There is one MVA rep at every station, it's just a bogus scam all around. Why should a two year old car be tested when a 20 yr old bomb not be?

glhs837

Power with Control
It really is a matter of did the county want to take federal money for setting these up. The buildings that these stations are in are owned by the state but the Inspectors are contracted out of Missouri, There is one MVA rep at every station, it's just a bogus scam all around. Why should a two year old car be tested when a 20 yr old bomb not be?

Just to correct this. Here's the list. Note that 1976 was 38 years ago, not 20. A lot of +20 year old vehicles are registered as Historic, which is an exempt class. But really, how many + 20 year old vehicles do you see? Out of 100, I'll bet it's less than you imagine. 1994 is the cutoff, think about hom many cars you see that old or older?

The following are VEIP Exempt Vehicles:

1976 or older
Vehicles weighing more than 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
Vehicles powered solely by diesel or electric
Motorcycle
Vehicles registered as a farm truck, farm truck tractor or farm area vehicle
Historic or Antique vehicles
New vehicles for the first 24 months and qualified hybrids for the first 36 months after titling and registration
Fire apparatus owned or leased by the State of Maryland, a county, municipality, volunteer fire department or rescue squad
Ambulances currently exempted will remain exempt
Vehicles registered to senior citizens over 70 or vehicles registered with hard metal disable tags and who drive 5,000 miles per year or less (if co-owned, both owners must qualify for the waiver) can apply for a waiver for the balance of the two year cycle. Mileage must be recertified every two years to continue to received the waiver
Vehicles registered as a Class N street rod vehicle
A military vehicle owned by the federal government and used for tactical, combat, or relief operations, or for training for these operations
Vehicles registered as a Class H school vehicle or Class P passenger bus