Catholic Church refuses sexual survey request

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27060172

The Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has turned down a request by members for the results of a sexual ethics survey to be made public.

The unprecedented worldwide poll was commissioned by Pope Francis.

Reformers said refusing to publish the results would suggest the Church was not sincere about sharing responsibility with lay people.

A Church spokesman said a senior Vatican official had expressly asked for summaries to remain confidential.

The survey was sent to Catholic bishops around the world last November, with instructions to consult as widely as possible.

It tackled sensitive subjects such as contraception, cohabitation and homosexuality.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Society changes. Times change. People's opinions change.

The Bible does not change, nor its words or meanings, specifically on sin and immoralities.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Society changes. Times change. People's opinions change. The Bible does not change, nor its words or meanings, specifically on sin and immoralities.

And the number of Protestant denominations keeps growing faster than the national debt. Why? Seriously, I'd like your opinion as to why. If the reformation did the trick, why aren't you and every other Protestant Lutheran?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
What in the previous post commenting on the OP prompted you get off on an anti-anything non- catholic rant? I can almost hear your wailing and gnashing of teeth. What do you have against non-catholic protestant people that have the same basic core tenant of beliefs but just call themselves a different name than other very similar believers?

If you want to go there, just head back to Jerusalem about 2000 years ago when believers in Christ were called just "Christians, brothers and sisters". No named church - just Christians that met in individual homes. Not catholic, presbyterians, methodists, mormons, baptist, etc. Just Christians. Just the way millions of non-denom's like me and mine do today.

Your skin is so thin, transparent, and non-tolerant that you take offense at anything/everything that is not even being said.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
What in the previous post commenting on the OP prompted you get off on an anti-anything non- catholic rant? I can almost hear your wailing and gnashing of teeth. What do you have against non-catholic protestant people that have the same basic core tenant of beliefs but just call themselves a different name than other very similar believers? If you want to go there, just head back to Jerusalem about 2000 years ago when believers in Christ were called just "Christians, brothers and sisters". No named church - just Christians that met in individual homes. Not catholic, presbyterians, methodists, mormons, baptist, etc. Just Christians. Just the way millions of non-denom's like me and mine do today. Your skin is so thin, transparent, and non-tolerant that you take offense at anything/everything that is not even being said.

You may deny your response had an anti-Catholic slant, but it did. Let my fellow Catholics in here tell me different. If I'm being overly sensitive, I'll apologize.

You call yourself non-denominational--if that is true, why does your place of worship use space in their website to explain your beliefs. Why not just say, we believe what the Bible says...period.

And you didn't answer my question.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Paranoid much? Read way between the lines of your own imagination? Are you afraid of more and more non-catholic groups starting up by whatever name they call themselves? If they believe the core tenets of the Bible, more power to them. I'm not afraid of them - I encourage new works to sprout up wherever the Lord plants them.Why are you afraid of them?

Are you now saying your catholic church does not have a printed or stated doctrine that cannot be publically displayed to explain your beliefs? Aren't your catechisms, confessions, etc., your doctrinal statement? Why are you afraid to say you believe in the Bible - and state and explain WHY? Doctrinal statements usually are defined as such, right?

Why, why, why? You can start by 'splainin' of how you came up with my "anti-catholic slant" in post 2.

Iin this instance, your fellow catholics are irrelevant - this is between you and my statement.

Too funny and so hypocritical of you.

I hope you have a nice, enjoyable Resurrection Sunday.

Last edited:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Paranoid much? Read way between the lines of your own imagination? Are you afraid of more and more non-catholic groups starting up by whatever name they call themselves? If they believe the core tenets of the Bible, more power to them. I'm not afraid of them - I encourage new works to sprout up wherever the Lord plants them.Why are you afraid of them? Are you now saying your catholic church does not have a printed or stated doctrine that cannot be publically displayed to explain your beliefs? Aren't your catechisms, confessions, etc., your doctrinal statement? Why are you afraid to say you believe in the Bible - and state and explain WHY? Doctrinal statements usually are defined as such, right? Why, why, why? You can start by 'splainin' of how you came up with my "anti-catholic slant" in post 2. Iin this instance, your fellow catholics are irrelevant - this is between you and my statement. Too funny and so hypocritical of you. I hope you have a nice, enjoyable Resurrection Day.

The RCC has it's catechism out there for the world to see. It as you know contains items that include tradition as well. Tradition mind you that is based on what the apostles of the apostles did.

You used the term "core tenets" of the bible. Would you please for the benefit of all of us non-subscribers to sola scriptura, point out where that term is in scripture. If not, can you point out what book of scripture lists these "tenets?" What Protestant council or reformer derived this list? I know these tenets could not possibly be extra biblical or man made because, well that would make you a hypocrite, no?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Look what you did Misfit. :mad:

Back to the original post, I think not publishing the results is fine. In order to get honest results and in order to make changes, an anonymous poll should be fine and shouldn't be cause for contention. I think this Pope is making some positive changes and getting his house in order. It's been a long time coming.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The RCC has it's catechism out there for the world to see. It as you know contains items that include tradition as well. Tradition mind you that is based on what the apostles of the apostles did.

You used the term "core tenets" of the bible. Would you please for the benefit of all of us non-subscribers to sola scriptura, point out where that term is in scripture. If not, can you point out what book of scripture lists these "tenets?" What Protestant council or reformer derived this list? I know these tenets could not possibly be extra biblical or man made because, well that would make you a hypocrite, no?

Core - central, or main
+
Tenet - belief, principle or doctrine held to be true
+
Bible - written Word of God
=
What I said.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Core - central, or main + Tenet - belief, principle or doctrine held to be true + Bible - written Word of God = What I said.

Who decided which were core? So the RCC
has apostolic succession and papal authority to mull these things over. Who compiled your core tenets and decided which ones were worthy to be called core?

"You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world." - Bertrand Russell