Security Systems

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Currently have ADT and I AIN'T HAPPY!

Why does it cost $50/month to make a phone call when/if an alarm goes off?

I want to cancel my service, but need to find another company that will provide service with the current system that we have installed.

Suggestions / recommendations?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I want to cancel my service, but need to find another company that will provide service with the current system that we have installed.

They pretty much all use the same hardware... getting out of your ADT contract may be $$$$... I think Vrain was happy with the company she had..

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

It doesn't cost to make the call, you are paying for someone to answer it. :buddies: Hope that helps. :yay:

R

rhenderson

$50 a month - almost 7 cents an hour for maintaining a service that monitors your house 24/7 and has someone standing by to call emergency services.

Actually they don't even make a call once a month if their service is successful.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They pretty much all use the same hardware... getting out of your ADT contract may be $$$$... I think Vrain was happy with the company she had..

check the interwebs for the "top rated home security systems"
ADT is old school. Front Point, Vyvant and a couple others use cellular to connect to their monitoring center and wireless sensors in the home.
Tried like hell to get ADT out for a quote and couldn't. The others basically work with you over the phone to define your needs.
Since it's wireless, install is easy and can be done by any moron - including me.

glhs837

Power with Control
There are systems that alert you, you know, and you can see what the system sees and decide what to do. No monitoring fee. Of course, you do have to buy the equipment up front, and set it up, but that gives the choice to get the equipment you want and set it up the way you want it.

This site seems to have good reviews

http://securitygem.com/

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What you are paying is for someone to sit and monitor alarms 24/7/365 and once the alarm is received notify the property authorities.

:yeahthat:

It's like insurance, you don't need it until you need it.

FED_UP

Purchase your own system and install, get something that will send you a text when a sensor is activated so you can call Bud down the street or the police maybe. Cameras are easy to install and monitor as well from other locations by PC if you are away.

Purchase your own system and install, get something that will send you a text when a sensor is activated so you can call Bud down the street or the police maybe. Cameras are easy to install and monitor as well from other locations by PC if you are away.

I have a motion sensor camera system. While it does send texts/emails with a snapshot of the event to you if it senses movement, it senses movement of ANYTHING, like bugs flying across the camera or even snow. Goes off all the time at night as the bugs are attracted to the infrared. If you de-sensitize it, it won't always pick up the motion of a human. The system does allow for external sensors (door, window, etc..)which might work better.

edinsomd

My costs are Purina One dog food, and a box of #1 buck shotgun shells in size 12 every now and then. Never had a problem, so far at least.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
My costs are Purina One dog food, and a box of #1 buck shotgun shells in size 12 every now and then. Never had a problem, so far at least.

Never had a problem here and I have both, except I feed my dogs a good quality food.

Having a security system is comfort while we are away.
It is not active during the day while we are here.

I am looking for a company that monitors it when it is activated.
$50 bucks a month, with a system already installed, I think is a little ridiculous.

Thank you TPD, I will call Alarm Smith you see what they have available.