black bear sightings?

Several times last year, our children reported seeing a large, black animal ambling through the woods at the edge of our yard (we have 15 partially wooded acres, adjoining 300+ undeveloped acres). We brushed it off as childhood imagination each time, especially since it was rather fantastical and there was only a single, quick sighting each time.

Today, they each (four total) reported a tall (standing on its hind legs, approx human height), black animal walking through the woods. Each child who saw it described it slightly differently (no collaboration on their stories), but had the same running theme. All in all, it appears that they saw it 3 different times in areas along the point where our cleared area meets the woods, in an approx 1hr period. It did not approach them, but was not scared off by them (rather continued on its way). They did not hear anything but the thumping of its steps.

To some extent, their descriptions seemed a bit whacky - I don't think it's eyes glowed, unless the sun caught them just right. HOWEVER - the rest of the descriptions, pretty much matching across 4 children, lead me to believe we might have a black bear wandering our woods - and may have for the past year.

So, to make a long story short - I realize that the last time black bears were seen in the trico area was 2008. But has anyone else seen something similar, especially south of the base? Or are our children simply seeing BigFoot?

I realize the forumites will likely have a field day with this...but would appreciate constructive responses, too. Not worried about being aggressively approached by the herbivorous creature, but...would like to know what my children might be facing when they spend summer afternoons in the woods :)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to have a juvenile black bear in the area looking for land of its own. If it's a bear, it will leave your children alone if they leave it alone. Where are you?

I was thinking maybe a young male displaced from their standard zones in Western Maryland - like you said, looking for land to claim for itself. And I'm not so worried about it aggressively attacking, as I am my kids doing something that unknowingly threatens it. Just something I need to get smart on.

We're in the Ridge area.

pebbles

I have family in Ridge, was there yesterday. Never heard anyone mention but I will ask. What part of Ridge if you don't mind me asking? My crew is in the Airdele Road area.

officeguy

Saw a dead one on the roadside in western charles earlier this year. When I stopped to look at it another driver pulled over and took some pix. They are around. DNR for some reason likes to lie about things like coyote, bears and copperheads.

RPMDAD

Office guy, i don't know about DNR lying. Especially about bears. However from their web page coyotes.

Coyotes are a relatively new addition to local ecosystems, and were first documented in Maryland during 1972. Initial substantiated sightings occurred in Cecil, Frederick and Washington counties. Since that time population densities and occupied range have expanded incrementally and coyotes now occur statewide.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/furbearers/coyote.asp

As far as Copperheads.

In Maryland, both the Northern Copperhead and an intergrade between Northern and Southern Copperheads occur, the latter in the lower Eastern and Western Shores on the Coastal Plain.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Plants_Wildlife/herps/Squamata/No_SoCopperhead.asp

As far as Black Bears i believe, they only monitor counties with breeding populations.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/BearHunt_HistoryManagement.asp

I know for a fact there are copperheads and coyotes in Calvert County. Haven't seen a bear yet but have tangled with copperheads and seen one coyote. Have a friend that killed one and had it confirmed with DNR, and have talked to CCACO and they have told me yes there are coyotes in Cal. Co. Population is relatively low i am sure but they are here.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think BigBlow is off his meds and wandering the county nekkid! :twitch:

TPD

the poor dad
Definitely coyotes and copperheads south of the base. I have not heard of any bears being sighted on any of the game cameras around, and there are a lot of those cameras out there. It's getting to the point I really need to look around 3 times before I take a …….NM, that wasn't the question.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Definitely coyotes and copperheads south of the base. I have not heard of any bears being sighted on any of the game cameras around, and there are a lot of those cameras out there. It's getting to the point I really need to look around 3 times before I take a …….NM, that wasn't the question.

:jet:

Going to set out our cam tonight: We are a good spot w/chickens, cats (and cat food sitting out), etc.

officeguy

As far as Copperheads.

In Maryland, both the Northern Copperhead and an intergrade between Northern and Southern Copperheads occur, the latter in the lower Eastern and Western Shores on the Coastal Plain.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Plants_Wildlife/herps/Squamata/No_SoCopperhead.asp

Glad they changed the website. A couple of years ago, I inquired and they told me that copperheads were only in Washington Co. Made no sense to me as I had one in my garage....

Taz

Several times last year, our children reported seeing a large, black animal ambling through the woods at the edge of our yard (we have 15 partially wooded acres, adjoining 300+ undeveloped acres). We brushed it off as childhood imagination each time, especially since it was rather fantastical and there was only a single, quick sighting each time.

Today, they each (four total) reported a tall (standing on its hind legs, approx human height), black animal walking through the woods. Each child who saw it described it slightly differently (no collaboration on their stories), but had the same running theme. All in all, it appears that they saw it 3 different times in areas along the point where our cleared area meets the woods, in an approx 1hr period. It did not approach them, but was not scared off by them (rather continued on its way). They did not hear anything but the thumping of its steps.

To some extent, their descriptions seemed a bit whacky - I don't think it's eyes glowed, unless the sun caught them just right. HOWEVER - the rest of the descriptions, pretty much matching across 4 children, lead me to believe we might have a black bear wandering our woods - and may have for the past year.

So, to make a long story short - I realize that the last time black bears were seen in the trico area was 2008. But has anyone else seen something similar, especially south of the base? Or are our children simply seeing BigFoot?

I realize the forumites will likely have a field day with this...but would appreciate constructive responses, too. Not worried about being aggressively approached by the herbivorous creature, but...would like to know what my children might be facing when they spend summer afternoons in the woods :)

Anyone says there are no coyotes here is lying, they were brought in 50's to help control deer population...these were taken last year in Park Hall...

View attachment 102570 View attachment 102571 View attachment 102572 View attachment 102573

Attachments

• coyote1.jpg
    coyote1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 167
  • coyote2.jpg
    coyote2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 154
  • coyote3.jpg
    coyote3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 163
  • coyote4.jpg
    coyote4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 164

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Last spring we had a horrendous ruckus after midnight behind the barn, a large number of howling creatures - we'd lived here for 8 years at the time and had never heard that before. Jumped out of bed grabbed the shotgun, ran to the back of the barn, fired a couple of warning shots to break them up and headed back to bed...10 minutes later same group of howlers.....repeat...and again another 10 minutes later same thing. Finally after the third warning shot they left. Do coyotes do that? Group howl in the spring??

Hubs swears they were foxes...but we've never heard foxes do that mess. It was CREEPY.

Last edited:

idiganthro

Last spring we had a horrendous ruckus after midnight behind the barn, a large number of howling creatures - we'd lived here for 8 years at the time and had never heard that before. Jumped out of bed grabbed the shotgun, ran to the back of the barn, fired a couple of warning shots to break them up and headed back to bed...10 minutes later same group of howlers.....repeat...and again another 10 minutes later same thing. Finally after the third warning shot they left. Do coyotes do that? Group howl in the spring??

Hubs swears they were foxes...but we've never heard foxes do that mess. It was CREEPY.

I grew up with coyotes in Texas, and loved laying in bed at night listening to them "sing." Would love to hear it here, but haven't yet. Have definitely seem copperheads, and took a picture of one in the park I work at. Waiting to see a bear!!

GregV814

I understand Al Sharpton is concerned that people will wantonlessly and willfully kill a BLACK bear...quote, " I dont know of nobody talkin bout kilin no white bear" !!! Joe Biden will hold hearings and Obama will give food stamps to the oppressed BLACK bear population...

Walking on it's hind legs would be unusual. Look for signs, tracks and scat.