Complete failure @ Wildewood & Rt 4 light

SHA has activated the light at Rt 4 and Wildewood Blvd, and has caused major delays on Rt4. Evidently the priority is to Wildewood Blvd and not Rt4. After sitting through 3 cycles of the light at FDR, I watched the new light cycle 3 times while stopping all traffic on Rt 4 to let a single car thru the intersection from Wildewood. Within 5 seconds of a car approaching from Wildwood, the light would cycle again to let the one or two cars pass. Long delays on Rt 4 if you're heading to Ltown.

BTW, I thought there was supposed to be a mandatory 14 day period of flashing lights before it was activated. It's only been 5 days, if you count today! I guess regulations are just optional....

TPD

the poor dad
SHA has activated the light at Rt 4 and Wildewood Blvd, and has caused major delays on Rt4. Evidently the priority is to Wildewood Blvd and not Rt4. After sitting through 3 cycles of the light at FDR, I watched the new light cycle 3 times while stopping all traffic on Rt 4 to let a single car thru the intersection from Wildewood. Within 5 seconds of a car approaching from Wildwood, the light would cycle again to let the one or two cars pass. Long delays on Rt 4 if you're heading to Ltown.

BTW, I thought there was supposed to be a mandatory 14 day period of flashing lights before it was activated. It's only been 5 days, if you count today! I guess regulations are just optional....

you would think that as much as we study and count traffic, they would get it right on the 1st shot.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
you would think that as much as we study and count traffic, they would get it right on the 1st shot.

TPD, you forget this is the Peoples Republic of Maryland. How often does the state get ANYTHING right the first time. :killingme

dan0623_2000

You people traveling north and south on Rt 4 think you have priority over the elite citizens of Wildewood? The light at Rt 235 and Wildewood Blvd does the same thing. The state got it right.

rdytogo

I haven't gone that way in a while, but I used to cut through Wildewood and turn right on Route 4 at the Parkway. I think the light is a good idea. While it's been a year or so since I've been that way, I can't imagine traffic has gotten any better. They put a light in at FDR, why not Wildewood?

CrashTest

You can thank the failed "leadership" in Leonardtown who have been issuing 1000's and 1000's of building permits for WW over the past few years knowing that there's only 1 way in and 1 way out and disregarding the chaos this is going to create. I guess the lure of property tax $$ trumps all.

TPD

the poor dad
You can thank the failed "leadership" in Leonardtown who have been issuing 1000's and 1000's of building permits for WW over the past few years knowing that there's only 1 way in and 1 way out and disregarding the chaos this is going to create. I guess the lure of property tax $$ trumps all.

Wildewood is a PUD - the density was approved decades ago. The issuance of building permits is just a formality at this point.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You people traveling north and south on Rt 4 think you have priority over the elite citizens of Wildewood? The light at Rt 235 and Wildewood Blvd does the same thing. The state got it right.

They screwed that one up. Use to be that if no traffic was coming southbound, and vehicles were in the left turn lane, the signal would flip to allow left turns (NB 235)
Now you have to wait an eternity for the light to do a complete cycle - even when there is no traffic on Wildewood Blvd.

BernieP

Resident PIA

They failed leadership wasn't in issuing building permits, it was not doing something about the roads before the units were built.
The P in PUD stands for PLANNED. That the original developer didn't build to the density he was allowed is no excuse. When Wildewood was approved, decades ago, they knew what the PLANNED number of units was and should have PLANNED accordingly. I'm sure what they did was to take the money then and stuck it into a pet project. Hoping the day the infrastructure was needed, they wouldn't be around.

CrashTest

Wildewood is a PUD - the density was approved decades ago. The issuance of building permits is just a formality at this point.

I guess they didn't know there was only 1 way in and 1 way out decades ago. If the "P" in PUD stands for "planned", then I guess they "planned" on chaos.

CrashTest

Actually, they have such priority that someone has come up with tons of money to widen and improve the bike/baby/dog/jogging path on WW Parkway. Construction began last week.

ltown81

This light is a complete joke. I read in the paper the SHA said no light was needed, then Bohanon who lives in Wildewood got involved and magically one gets installed.

The light is on a blind turn less than a quarter mile from the First Colony light. I think it will cause more accidents because of the turn location, and now more people in Wildewood will use it since it is not as dangerous to try making a right out of there.

Lets be real, the only reason from someone in Wildewood to use that light would be to go to Leonardtown. That means the real fix would have been to make that exit a right turn only, and close it to in bound traffic. That will make someone looking to access 235 use one four other exits (if you count Lawrence Hayden to Airport View)development has to Three Notch. Rt.4 in that area is a mess as it is. Last thing you need is another light and more traffic.

CrashTest

That means the real fix would have been to make that exit a right turn only, and close it to in bound traffic. That will make someone looking to access 235 use one four other exits (if you count Lawrence Hayden to Airport View)development has to Three Notch. Rt.4 in that area is a mess as it is. Last thing you need is another light and more traffic.

No. The REAL fix would have been for the "planners" decades ago to force any prospective developer of WW that he must pay for and build a southern exit pointed in the direction of LTOWN (but that would have required at least 1 microgram of forethought).

Anything done now is just to make it look like they have a handle on the chaos. Maybe more cops catching speeders on WW Parkway will solve all the problems.

itsrequired

There are four ways in and four ways out of Wildewood.

itsrequired

No. The REAL fix would have been for the "planners" decades ago to force any prospective developer of WW that he must pay for and build a southern exit pointed in the direction of LTOWN (but that would have required at least 1 microgram of forethought).

Anything done now is just to make it look like they have a handle on the chaos. Maybe more cops catching speeders on WW Parkway will solve all the problems.

There is also a Southern Exit to St. Johns road and the industrial park. Why would you make these comments if you don't know what you are talking about?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I lived in WW for four years. I almost always used the 235 exit instead of Saint Andrews, unless I was turning right to going to L'town. It didn't kill me and I never bitched about the heavy traffic. Use common sense.

warneckutz

I lived in WW for four years. I almost always used the 235 exit instead of Saint Andrews, unless I was turning right to going to L'town. It didn't kill me and I never bitched about the heavy traffic. Use common sense.

^ This... at certain times, it wasn't even worth it to try and make a left on to RT4 from Wildehood.