Watch out for cyclists on Saturday

Chris0nllyn

Traffic Notification: On April 26, this coming Saturday between the hours of 8:00 am - 3:30 pm there will be several hundred bicyclists traveling in the north end of the county.

The ride will start at Chesapeake Church and head up Rt2, Dalyrmple Rd, Summer City, Rt260, Rt778, Grovers Turn Rd, Chaneyville Rd, Lower Marlboro Rd and ending back at Chesapeake Church.

Please take caution.

http://www.thebaynet.com/News/index...nt_categoryID/36647-News/comment/Y#subcomment

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm sick and tired of seeing these folks using backroads that will get someone injured or killed. We've got entire lengths of bike lanes (or shoulders wide enough to support bikes) up rt.4 and along rt.2 and even 260.

I have a problem with them using the side roads. I can't count how many times I've had to go 10mph behind a group of bikers. along a back road, around blind turns, over hills, etc.

bilbur

Quite agree with you. Why waste the money and time putting in bike trails when they're not being utilized.

The ones that make me mad are the few in Wildewood that for some reason will travel on the opposite side of the road from the bike/walking path. I see a few doing this on a regular basis, making everyone that wants to pass go into oncoming traffic. The scariest one was the woman that had her 5 or 6 year old following right behind her on the wrong side of the road. All this means to me is that this lady is teaching her kid how to be a jerk at a very young age.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The ones that make me mad are the few in Wildewood that for some reason will travel on the opposite side of the road from the bike/walking path. I see a few doing this on a regular basis, making everyone that wants to pass go into oncoming traffic. The scariest one was the woman that had her 5 or 6 year old following right behind her on the wrong side of the road. All this means to me is that this lady is teaching her kid how to be a jerk at a very young age.

I bet you she loves that new light on 4. :lol:

Chris0nllyn

What about the kid who got pulled over for crossing the double yellow around cops.

I assume we should just follow behind these cyclists so we drivers don't get a ticket?

Just as long as we don't get pulled over for driving under the speed limit.....which has also happened in MD.

Chris0nllyn

What about the kid who got pulled over for crossing the double yellow around cops.

I assume we should just follow behind these cyclists so we drivers don't get a ticket?

Just as long as we don't get pulled over for driving under the speed limit.....which has also happened in MD.

Leave it to Md....

There's a law that goes into effect this year that says motorists CAN cross the double yellow to pass a cyclist.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/hb/hb0241F.pdf

dan0623_2000

Yes they did change the law but it states ONLY WHEN SAFE TO DO SO. You are actually going to have to decide if it is safe or not. No lines or lights are going to hep you make that decision. Good Luck
And no I do not ride a bike on the road

GW8345

Not White House Approved
I'm sick and tired of cyclists wanting to be treated like a special class citizen. If they want to drive on the roads then follow every vehicle law and don't expect any special treatment, they are considered a vehicle, just like my 4000 lb SUV.

I can't drive on the sidewalk, why should they be allowed to ride on roads?

TPD

the poor dad
My faith in humanity and south.Md drivers had been restored this morning when driving south through Leonardtown, we met a funeral procession and 99% of the vehicles pulled to the right hand lane and stopped completely until the entire procession passed going north. It was a teachable moment for my young teenage daughter! And then I get home and open this thread…..

I'm off now to go for a bike ride, WHICH INCLUDES SOME BACK ROADS IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND!

My faith in humanity and south.Md drivers had been restored this morning when driving south through Leonardtown, we met a funeral procession and 99% of the vehicles pulled to the right hand lane and stopped completely until the entire procession passed going north. It was a teachable moment for my young teenage daughter! And then I get home and open this thread…..

I'm off now to go for a bike ride, WHICH INCLUDES SOME BACK ROADS IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND!

The cyclist hate here is truly terrifying. Shame on people out getting exercise and not burning gas and expecting to be treated safely. The nerve.

mamatutu

mama to two
So much win...

Go choke yourself, as you say to me over and over again. I will throw a party for this forum the day that you actually add intelligent discussion to the discourse that goes on here. All you do is throw out crap. No one can ever take away any value from what you post. Oh, and I found the strangle smilie for vrai. Maybe, she will name it mamatutu some day. This is for you. :strangle:

And, don't bother saying I have taken too many pills, or am drunk. Do you understand that comments like that make you look like the stupid one? Probably not. :poorbaby:

You are the only member on here that I have never gotten along with, which is saying something. Yes, I have had my differences with whoever, but it has ended up being cool in the end. I would absolutely nominate you for biggest ass-hole award, and that means you have beat out a lot of other members. :lol:

As far as the topic of this thread, yes, I do worry and look out for bicyclists, as well as runners when I see them on the road. I think it is very dangerous, and my vehicle could kill them so I am very cautious around them. This forum knows that my husband is a maniac ultra runner. I worry about him every day when he goes out running. A very dear friend of ours was killed years ago on Broomes Island when he was running. I see the two sides. Roads are for cars. I understand the aggravation of drivers because they have to watch out for cyclists and runners. But, I also see the health/conservation side of the cyclist/runners. We just have to learn to co-exist, like in so many other ways on this earth. Learning to co-exist with animals is another example. Ha!

Last edited:

warneckutz

Go choke yourself, as you say to me over and over again. I will throw a party for this forum the day that you actually add intelligent discussion to the discourse that goes on here. All you do is throw out crap. No one can ever take away any value from what you post. Oh, and I found the strangle smilie for vrai. Maybe, she will name it mamatutu some day. This is for you. :strangle:

And, don't bother saying I have taken too many pills, or am drunk. Do you understand that comments like that make you look like the stupid one? Probably not. :poorbaby:

You are the only member on here that I have never gotten along with, which is saying something. Yes, I have had my differences with whoever, but it has ended up being cool in the end. I would absolutely nominate you for biggest ass-hole award, and that means you have beat out a lot of other members. :lol:

You moron, get over yourself and be a little original. Jump on a bike, lets test out your chances.

Your limited search capabilities don't lead you to many places. Perhaps you should take care of things at the residence before worrying about an online forum.

Last edited:

sockgirl77

As far as the topic of this thread, yes, I do worry and look out for bicyclists, as well as runners when I see them on the road. I think it is very dangerous, and my vehicle could kill them so I am very cautious around them. This forum knows that my husband is a maniac ultra runner. I worry about him every day when he goes out running. A very dear friend of ours was killed years ago on Broomes Island when he was running. I see the two sides. Roads are for cars. I understand the aggravation of drivers because they have to watch out for cyclists and runners. But, I also see the health/conservation side of the cyclist/runners. We just have to learn to co-exist, like in so many other ways on this earth. Learning to co-exist with animals is another example. Ha!

:buddies:

:twitch:

:crazy:

nutz

SOME bicyclists actually show a little common courtesy and "play by the rules" (stay to the far right, etc. etc.) Then we have the ones that ride in the middle of the lane, group together, refuse to let others pass, flip you off when you do pass, etc. etc. Then we have the "club" rides where they seem to believe the roadways have been turned over exclusively for their use. And, it sure doesn't help matters when the Charles County Sheriff's deputies are hired off-duty and provide traffic control for them.