IRS gives out bonuses. 1,100 of which owe back taxes

Chris0nllyn

The Internal Revenue Service has paid more than $2.8 million in bonuses to employees with recent disciplinary problems, including $1 million to workers who owed back taxes, a government investigator said Tuesday.

More than 2,800 workers got bonuses despite facing a disciplinary action in the previous year, including 1,150 who owed back taxes, said a report by J. Russell George, the Treasury inspector general for tax administration. The bonuses were awarded from October 2010 through December 2012

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/irs-awards-bonuses-1-100-202457407.html

nutz

Shouldn't be surprised, but I am. It was my understanding that all government employees had not been getting pay raises or bonuses for the last few years......

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Yup, we were told no mo' money for purchases, travel or bonuses. Just got my last annual step increase, now I'm every other year. (not complaining)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Since job performance and owing back taxes have nothing to do with each other, I'm okay with bonuses being given to employees who are deserving of them, based on merit. I do think there is a problem with actual disciplinary issues and employees being given bonuses. Then again, this is the government we're talking about, and many agencies lack any sort of common sense.

SG_Player1974

Absolutely NO problem with bonuses for personnel owing back taxes.

Provided that the back taxes were removed from said bonus PRIOR to delivery!

Although, I do have to agree with some of the above posts. If the word on the street is that there is NO money for bonuses.... then NO ONE should get a bonus.

Chris0nllyn

Since job performance and owing back taxes have nothing to do with each other, I'm okay with bonuses being given to employees who are deserving of them, based on merit. I do think there is a problem with actual disciplinary issues and employees being given bonuses. Then again, this is the government we're talking about, and many agencies lack any sort of common sense.

Although, I do have to agree with some of the above posts. If the word on the street is that there is NO money for bonuses.... then NO ONE should get a bonus.

Like you both, I have no problem with bonuses based on performance.

I do, however, have a problem with these people receiving bonuses and being guilty of the same thing they look for in their jobs.

IMO, it's akin to Wall St bankers getting bonuses after the bail out.

RPMDAD

Agree with you 100% SGP, if a bonus was given, the back taxes should have been taken out of said bonus.

C

czygvtwkr

This seems like quite a large % of people that owe back taxes, is this representative of the overall population?

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
When we had money, I'd put in my peeps in for bonuses based on merit. Their previous boss just gave them bonuses whether or not they deserved it. So, the first year I was the boss some got little or nothing. They were pi$$ed at me because they expected and thought they deserved it! I see a ton of useless people in the gooberment...

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I wonder if anyone looked specifically for Lois Lerner on the "deserving of mo money" list.