Free Prescription Glasses

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So I heard that a place online will give you your first pair of glasses free. After falling for that line before at other websites, and finding myself at checkout needing to pay a fair share of the FREE glasses and closing the screen, I was wary.

They really ARE FREE. My total for the glasses was $97. I was given a $97 credit and I only paid for shipping and insurance for a total of $16.

www.Coastal.com

The promo code is FIRSTPAIRFREE

Under the Glasses heading, look to the left under Categories for First Pair Free to see the frame options you can choose from.

I ordered single vision lenses. I do not know if they would have also done a bifocal pair free? There were a few add-ons offered which I didn't accept. I will be happy to update this thread after I get my glasses to say if I liked them, and if they do the job well.

I had to get my glasses Prescription from my Dr. in Waldorf (Dr's on Sight?) and it was like pulling teeth to actually GET the printout. I had to measure my old glasses to get the PD (Pupillary Distance) (didn't want to call them to ask for that after how hard it was to get the RX) but that was easy enough with a ruler and using the inches to millimeter conversion online.

I think many people here, with limited finances like me, could use a free pair of glasses.

Last edited:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
This is what I see:

Try Before You Buy allows you to try eyeglasses, complete with your prescription, absolutely free! Some conditions apply. Here's how it works:

Choose your frame
Choose your lens
Add your prescription
Try them for 15 days... at home, at work, out with friends, or out on the town.
Like them? Keep them. If you don't like them, we'll send you a pre-paid postage label so you can send them back for free.

Of course our unbeatable return policy still applies: With all glasses purchased you have 365 days to return them for a full refund.

Terms & Conditions:

Valid for prescription eyeglasses orders under $400. Valid credit card or Visa Debit required. Debit cards, pre-paid credit cards and PayPal are not eligible. A $1 authorization will be made at checkout. Full payment will be charged 15 days after your order has shipped, if the product has not been returned.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Okay, seems I didn't dig far enough in. I think I got it now. :lol:

It says THE FIRST PAIR FREE are not eligible for the Try Before You Buy deal.

Here is what I see about the FIRST PAIR FREE (I think you were reading the TRY BEFORE YOU BUY details):

Offer available to first time glasses customers of Coastal.com only.

» This promotion is for first time Coastal.com prescription glasses customers only.

» One free pair of glasses per customer per prescription.

» We reserve the right to verify all prescriptions.

» Valid for coupon eligible frames only.

» To get your free pair apply the coupon code FIRSTPAIRFREE at the checkout.

» Durable Air 1.59 index lenses for single vision or reading and premium lens coatings included for free.

» Lens upgrades including: higher index lenses, progressives, Transitions and polarized are available at additional cost.

» Some prescriptions may require lens upgrades at additional cost.

» Shipping costs may apply, which is typically up to $20.

» Cannot be combined with any other offers.

» Valid for residents of the United States only.

» Coastal.com reserves the right to cancel orders that appear to be in violation of this promotion.

» Frames not eligible for Try Before You Buy.

So they REALLY ARE FREE :biggrin:

garyt27

INAFJ
What is it with these damn Eyeglass joints, You pay for a prescription and they don't want to give you a copy. And they refuse to give you P.D. I get mine thru Zenni Optical online the last pair they sent along a nice PD tool that will measure each eyes P. distance.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What is it with these damn Eyeglass joints, You pay for a prescription and they don't want to give you a copy. And they refuse to give you P.D. I get mine thru Zenni Optical online the last pair they sent along a nice PD tool that will measure each eyes P. distance.

They even told me that since my prescription was "expired" as of March 2014 (1 year) that no other optical place would make glasses for me with an expired prescription. Really?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I just can no longer afford to pay $400 for a pair of glasses when I barely have an rx at all for my distance vision (passed MVA vision test). They are just sucking every dollar they can get from anyone they can.

I left because they are crooks.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Dr. Heavner at Target in California is a great eye doctor and they always give you a copy of your script. I took my copy and got my last pair of glasses at BJs. You don't even have to have a BJs card to use their optical center. Their glasses were less expensive and so were contacts. Dr. H suggested several times I do the Lasik, so, even though it isn't immediately cost effective (no quick return on my money), I'm sucking up my courage and putting on my big girl panties and going through with it. Mainly so I don't have to deal with all the hassle like you've been through Ark.

Dr. Heavner at Target in California is a great eye doctor and they always give you a copy of your script. I took my copy and got my last pair of glasses at BJs. You don't even have to have a BJs card to use their optical center. Their glasses were less expensive and so were contacts. Dr. H suggested several times I do the Lasik, so, even though it isn't immediately cost effective (no quick return on my money), I'm sucking up my courage and putting on my big girl panties and going through with it. Mainly so I don't have to deal with all the hassle like you've been through Ark.
Dr. Heavner is awesome! Daughter uses him for her regular check-ups and glasses/contacts (she's only one in family that needs glasses). Husband and son have both used him for emergency services. Son had chemical burns, hubbie had particles irritating his eye and Heavner got them in and successfully treated them without hesitation. He is very personable and very professional.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

My coworker said they (Dr's on Sight) refused to give her RX to her after they refused to fix her glasses she said were made wrong (they disagreed with her). So she ended up having to get another eye exam with a different Dr to get her glasses made (which are fine). They are trying REALLY hard to keep you as their customer so you can pay $400 for a pair of glasses they are probably making a $380 profit on in addition to all their other services. My insurance pays part of the bill, but in the end I end up paying about $350-$450 for my part of the entire expense (exam, eye tests, glasses, etc.).

They also accept the money from a family member who comes in several times a year (spending $800-$1,000 each time) thinking his prescription is changing fast - they should refuse to make new glasses if his RX is still the same, but they take his money anyway even if he was just there 4 months before - that is so unethical in my opinion, but anyone who comes in the door is fair game to them. It won't be me anymore. I found out that my distance vision is only slightly off, and that I do not need glasses for distance (they said I did and told me to bring them my MVA vision form and they will "make sure" I won't be required to wear glasses to drive). Really? I passed the MVA vision test just fine - they are so full of it.

I do need glasses for reading and for my computer work. I really hope I like the glasses I get for free (computer glasses), if so I will use them again.

I do need glasses for reading and for my computer work. I really hope I like the glasses I get for free (computer glasses), if so I will use them again.
Last time my husband had his eye exam with Dr. Heavner, Dr. H told him his eyes were fine except he needed reading glasses. He told husband which over the counter strength reading glasses to get (1.5 was all he needed) and said that they were just as good as prescription but much less expensive.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Last time my husband had his eye exam with Dr. Heavner, Dr. H told him his eyes were fine except he needed reading glasses. He told husband which over the counter strength reading glasses to get (1.5 was all he needed) and said that they were just as good as prescription but much less expensive.

Sounds like a good Dr.

Although doing it the unethical way makes one lots of money apparently (my former Dr.). When I was there to pick up my RX the other day, there had to be at least 5 staff members there (maybe more), so that practice is thriving on the ignorance of the patients. With my net pay decreasing as it has in the past 2 years (increase in benefits premiums, mostly health care, and taxes), I simply have less income in my bank account to pay for the same or more bills than I had 2 years ago. My net paycheck is lower by over $500 a month despite a small raise I received last year. That has caused the rescue work we do to suffer since the majority of the money used on the rescue came from my paycheck. I'll get some of that money back in my paycheck in 2015 because I plan to lower my health insurance level for 2015, which will lower my premiums, I just can't afford to have good medical coverage like I've had in the past.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So my free glasses arrived and I put them on, they are merely reading glasses for things right in front of your face not the "computer" glasses I was expecting for viewing the computer monitor. I am now wondering if my old eye dr gave me the wrong RX so I'd not get what I wanted? The only way for me to know is to take both pair to a place that can "read the RX" on them and tell me right? Where can I get that done locally? Obviously I still need a pair of computer glasses so they would get my business for those.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
What the heck are "computer glasses"? :confused: I use the cheapie readers from CVS for both reading and the computer.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What the heck are "computer glasses"? :confused: I use the cheapie readers from CVS for both reading and the computer.

I can't see the computer screen with readers unless the monitor is within inches of my face. The computer glasses are readers that are set back about 2 feet for the distance to the monitor, otherwise with regular readers I am leaning in to see the screen.