Facebook shuts down military dependent parody site

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Seems like the issue was with not hiding the real identity of some posters. The free speech crowd may jump all over this.

Over the last few months, hundreds of spouses have sent in complaints to Facebook about the page, citing harassment. So this week, Facebook finally took action by removing the page and deleting its entire history.

“Dear Dependa” and “OSMW” are the most popular pages featuring pictures and comments, posted in public forums by real military spouses who fit the stereotype: marrying into the military for the prestige, for the benefits, or for the money so they don’t have to work.

Admins say it’s all in good fun, but for those called out in the posts… “There was a lot of shame, a lot of hurt.”

http://wtkr.com/2014/04/24/bullying-or-fun-military-spouses-go-to-battle-over-dependa-on-facebook/

SG_Player1974

Exactly WHO marries into the military for the "Prestige?"

I guess that is for those gold diggers that marry into the flag officer ranks?!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
“If you are not what’s described, if you are not what people are talking about, don’t get offended, don’t get mad, you should be mad that it’s going on, ” said Six.

It seems so simple.

If you've ever been associated with the military you know exactly who these bloggers are talking about, and those bitches deserve to be outed. If you don't do shameful things, nobody can "shame" you.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

This gal

MRE00299600.jpg

C

czygvtwkr

I guess that is for those gold diggers that marry into the flag officer ranks?!

My gf's cousin did it. Her dad was career army and her mom got calls all the time from her cousin asking about the benefits etc as soon as she started dating an army guy herself.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It seems so simple.

If you've ever been associated with the military you know exactly who these bloggers are talking about, and those bitches deserve to be outed. If you don't do shameful things, nobody can "shame" you.

:yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It seems so simple.

Then, there is this;

“If you are not what’s described, if you are not what people are talking about, don’t get offended, don’t get mad, you should be mad that it’s going on, ” said Six.

MMM_donuts

“Women who share pride in what their husbands do tend to get attacked and labeled with this “dependa” term,” said Coomes.

By "women who share pride in what their husbands do" does she mean women who freak out inside Navy Federal yelling "Do you know who my husband is?!" when tellers won't bend the rules to accommodate their outrageous demands?.....I have personally witnessed this happen on so many occasions that it's appalling.

C

czygvtwkr

By "women who share pride in what their husbands do" does she mean women who freak out inside Navy Federal yelling "Do you know who my husband is?!" when tellers won't bend the rules to accommodate their outrageous demands?.....I have personally witnessed this happen on so many occasions that it's appalling.

Me: "Who is he? I hope he knows his wife is a nutjob"