Maryland Is #3.....

lucky_bee

RBF expert
.....in residents that want to leave their state, following only Illinois and Connecticut.

http://247wallst.com/economy/2014/0...m_campaign=Feed:+typepad/RyNm+(24/7+Wall+St.)

So many formerly great, beautiful states that have been destroyed by liberal policies.

:lmao: I left CT to come here.

Seriously, besides being crazy liberal it's not as bad as everyone loves to whine about. Jobs, great schools, etc., etc.
Difference for me from CT to here is less snow, and I'm totally fine with that :biggrin:

PeoplesElbow

Seriously, besides being crazy liberal it's not as bad as everyone loves to whine about. Jobs, great schools, etc., etc.
Difference for me from CT to here is less snow, and I'm totally fine with that :biggrin:

Way less rocks laying around

PsyOps

Pixelated

Having grown up in MD I can say the state has become a cesspool for crime and government dependency. Although jobs are good (if you work for the government) you are punished for making money or owning property. Taxes are destroying any incentive to earn more or run a business. This rain we’ve had… O’Malley has to be slobbering all over the taxes the state will rake in on that. Gun control – need I expound on that? No parent feels their kids are safe to run around their neighborhood like I did when I was a kid. THAT bothers me most.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Having grown up in MD I can say the state has become a cesspool for crime and government dependency. Although jobs are good (if you work for the government) you are punished for making money or owning property. Taxes are destroying any incentive to earn more or run a business. This rain we’ve had… O’Malley has to be slobbering all over the taxes the state will rake in on that. Gun control – need I expound on that? No parent feels their kids are safe to run around their neighborhood like I did when I was a kid. THAT bothers me most.

:yeahthat:

Hijinx

When people leave they go to places where they like the Conservative lifestyle, and right away they try to turn that into the s**thole they just left.

Vince

:yeahthat: I won't retire here.

Erk

When people leave they go to places where they like the Conservative lifestyle, and right away they try to turn that into the s**thole they just left.

Yep, I'm originally from a formerly nice little town in NC, and the swarms of New Yawkers now infesting the place have voted in Nanny-crats, and the cycle starts anew. Crazy-making.

TPD

the poor dad
Even my thirteen year old daughter suggested last week that we move to Montana...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Even my thirteen year old daughter suggested last week that we move to Montana...

Montana has lots of mountain lions and some wolves too now, no thank you. Can't imagine having to be armed all the time and hope I see them before they see me. I think I'll stay in the middle between the massive invasive constrictors in the South and the wild critters in the North. I'm only worried about the ones big enough to kill me though. I think even if I go North to PA or South/West to WVA I'll have to deal with the Bears. There are mountain lions pretty much everywhere these days, just that their numbers are far fewer on the East Coast, so I'll stick to this side of the Country.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Montana has lots of mountain lions and some wolves too now, no thank you. Can't imagine having to be armed all the time and hope I see them before they see me. I think I'll stay in the middle between the massive invasive constrictors in the South and the wild critters in the North. I'm only worried about the ones big enough to kill me though. I think even if I go North to PA or South/West to WVA I'll have to deal with the Bears. There are mountain lions pretty much everywhere these days, just that their numbers are far fewer on the East Coast, so I'll stick to this side of the Country.

Your chances of being wounded or killed right where you are, by some addict looking to steal something for drug money, or a gang banger, are astronomically higher than the possibility of being "eaten by a mountain lion" out in Montana. :shrug:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Your chances of being wounded or killed right where you are, by some addict looking to steal something for drug money, or a gang banger, are astronomically higher than the possibility of being "eaten by a mountain lion" out in Montana. :shrug:

I'm sure that is true ........

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I want to move, but jobs, logistics play into that. I don't want my husband or I to "retire" in this state at all and will do everything I can to ensure that doesn't happen.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I want to move, but jobs, logistics play into that. I don't want my husband or I to "retire" in this state at all and will do everything I can to ensure that doesn't happen.

The property taxes alone can prevent people from retiring here. This area is meant for actively working people unless they have enough retirement income to stick around. The utilities also are much higher here. We have relatives in PA that can't believe that for a 1,000 SF house that utilities can average $200-300 a month. They think their electric bill is high if it goes over $50.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

The Maryland retirement plan, die while working.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The property taxes alone can prevent people from retiring here. .

I'll say!. I remember when I rented a house for about exactly half what I pay every month now in property taxes. I've been actively looking at properties in WV, TN, VA, etc and on some of those, the total annual property tax is less than what I pay for one month here.

Popster

My son tells the story of his encounter with a Grizzly during his first year in Montana. He was packing in some GPS and data logging gear to one of his research sites near Yellowstone in early spring. Just as he topped a ridge he found himself about 50 feet away from a Grizzly. He said it was the most unnerving experience he has ever had. He said the bear just looked at him without any emotion in its eyes. Just a stone cold stare. My son said it was probably just deciding whether or not to expend the effort to eat him. Said he felt ice cold fear.