Online Banking

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I just read an article that advised closing your savings account and go instead to online banking where you can earn more money in interest with an online checking account.
http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/why-you-should-close-your-savings-account

Now I admit, I wish I knew more about the world of finance. I tend to be very conservative, and the thought of "online banking" has always scared me a bit. But realisitically, I already do it. I check my accounts, get alerts, transfer money etc, all from online. I rarely go to the "box" bank.

So does anybody here online bank? Do you earn more interst on your accounts? Who would you recommend? Have you had any problems?

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I just read an article that advised closing your savings account and go instead to online banking where you can earn more money in interest with an online checking account.
http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/why-you-should-close-your-savings-account

Now I admit, I wish I knew more about the world of finance. I tend to be very conservative, and the thought of "online banking" has always scared me a bit. But realisitically, I already do it. I check my accounts, get alerts, transfer money etc, all from online. I rarely go to the "box" bank.

So does anybody here online bank? Do you earn more interst on your accounts? Who would you recommend? Have you had any problems?

I only use credit unions and local community banks. I assume by "online bank" you mean an outfit like Ally or TDBank, i.e., no brick and mortar presence at all?

I had the good fortune many years ago to be able to join Navy Federal Credit Union, and use it as my cash/checking account. I'm happy with the rate of interest I receive. I also count the value of the many, many benefits you can get from membership there, so I don't give it much more thought, and I don't chase high interest rates for my cash account.

C

czygvtwkr

I started an online account with what was then GMAC bank, it paid over 5% interest at the time. I set up my allocations in myPay to send $200 to it every paycheck, I think now I am up to $350 a check. I haven't touched this account since I opened it in 2004ish and have over $60k in it last time I looked. GMAC is now Ally bank, they have excellent customer service and it is FDIC insured just like any bank. Unfortunately interest rates suck now everywhere, but I still give them the highest recomendation.

I think it is a great addition to a typical bank account but I wouldn't replace my account at Cedar Point with it.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I started an online account with what was then GMAC bank, it paid over 5% interest at the time. I set up my allocations in myPay to send $200 to it every paycheck, I think now I am up to $350 a check. I haven't touched this account since I opened it in 2004ish and have over $60k in it last time I looked. GMAC is now Ally bank, they have excellent customer service and it is FDIC insured just like any bank. Unfortunately interest rates suck now everywhere, but I still give them the highest recomendation.

I think it is a great addition to a typical bank account but I wouldn't replace my account at Cedar Point with it.

Thanks. That's great input/advice.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

You must be a renter and saving up to buy a house.

migtig - For my part, I try not to conflate the service a bank provides me in handling my day-to-day finances / transactions (e.g. checking account services) with whatever return it might give me on excess (i.e. not immediately needed) money that I might choose to deposit with / loan to / invest with it (e.g. in the form of a savings account or money market fund).

When it comes to the former, I very much prefer doing business with brick and mortar based banks. They offer a number of advantages, and at this point almost all of them offer online functionality as well. And, I don't necessarily expect them to pay me (e.g. in the form of interest) in connection with providing me those kinds of services. The value of those services over the course of a year (as well as the cost to them in providing them) is probably greater than the value represented by their getting to hold (i.e. otherwise use) a couple thousand dollars for a year.

So I like to keep a minimal amount of money in an operational account, an account that I use for day-to-day or month-to-month stuff. And I'm happy with them just servicing that account for free, that seems like a pretty good deal to me. Money that I don't need in the short term, even that portion which I don't feel comfortable investing in some way (e.g. in equities), is deposited in some other account / form. With regard to that money I'm then free to seek the best combination of return / safety / liquidity suitable for it - that could mean using an online only bank, a different brick and mortar bank, or the same brick and mortar bank; and it could mean any of various kinds of deposit accounts or other instruments. That also leaves me free to seek the best fit for the operational account based on the criteria that matters most if it - e.g., location convenience, policies / fees, friendliness (read: cuteness? :smile:) of staff; not so much the interest I get on that money as that's less important for that relatively small average balance.

Anyway... sometimes we try to combine functions and doing so yields significant efficiencies. Other times we try to combine functions and it yields a worse result with regard to the respective functions. I think this is an area where the latter tends to be more true. Saving money is different than having money immediately available to deal with normal expenses. What matters most regarding the former can be quite different than what matters most regarding the latter, so I think we more often than not do better to think of them separately and make decisions accordingly. The point being, I myself probably wouldn't use an online checking account (meaning one with a bank that didn't have local brick and mortar locations). But, because I'd want my checking and savings accounts separate anyway, I might consider one if the interest they offered was meaningfully better than I could get elsewhere and their policies met my needs.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Good food for thought Tilted. This boils down to me really just wanting to do more with my savings account.

Idunno

Do your research....just like the traditional banks the online versions can have fees. Many that offer online services will offer interest bearing accounts.....IF you meet their criteria. Once my traditional bank decided to start charging fees...I switched to the online services with the same company. I can pay bills, use my debit cards, transfer money, get $ rewards, get "point" rewards and other benefits that were not offered with the traditional accounts. Both checking and savings are interest bearing.