Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wind Farms in Somerset County

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    You "see" what?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    You "see" what?
    That long term viability hinges on some assumptions that I'm not sure will pan out. Price changes, delivery from makers of larger turbines, either of these are gambles. I get gambles, I do. But i'm not sure these are ones I would be making.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    That long term viability hinges on some assumptions that I'm not sure will pan out. Price changes, delivery from makers of larger turbines, either of these are gambles. I get gambles, I do. But i'm not sure these are ones I would be making.
    Already old news though. The Europeans and Scandinavians are already very far along this path, soon approaching 12,000 offshore turbines in service. 12,000...as compared to the sad little grossly overpriced and lame effort off Block Island that is all we have to point to.

The gambles were made long ago "over there", the results are proving to be positive, and now those same players are the ones investing in offshore leases "over here".

Will offshore wind ever be truly "cheap" power compared to coal and NG?..highly unlikely. But the LCOE for offshore wind has dropped so much in the last few years that it is competitive with nuclear power, for example.

Energy storage still remains as the largest technical hurdle for both wind and solar...
    Last edited by Gilligan; 07-01-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Things sure are moving fast in this industry. Even on the pesky storage issues!

http://newenergyupdate.com/wind-ener...mpaignId=14526

Members who have read this thread: 32