Wind Farms in Somerset County

hitchicken

Governor O'Malley has recently vetoed a bill that would have delayed the construction of a wind farm in nearby Somerset County. Everyone is probably aware this will affect radar testing at Pax River Navy base. The plan is to turn the wind turbines on and off when such tests take place. Yeah, that should raise a red flag to our spying enemies. But I regard wind farms as problematic in other areas as well.

1. Wind turbine blades kill bald and golden eagles by the thousands. Thanks to new legislation, they will be able to do so legally. You can probably add ospreys as well. (That should rid us of those pesky little national symbols.)
2. Wind turbine blades produce a low frequency beating that can be felt and affects humans, bats and some animals.
3. Shadows of whirling blades falling across homes have driven some people nearly insane.
4. Manufacture, construction, maintenance & decommissioning costs of wind turbines make them cost ineffective over their life span. They are not green.
5. If you have a TV antenna, kiss your reception good-bye.

O'Malley has implied that this wind farm will mitigate rising water that would flood the base. Somebody needs to get a grip.

I realize there was an earlier thread regarding this issue, but I was unable to find it. I started a new one. Sorry.

Please, get and watch "Windfall" if you have the time. I think it is on Amazon Instant Video. It's a couple of bucks rental but worth it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
4. Manufacture, construction, maintenance & decommissioning costs of wind turbines make them cost ineffective over their life span. They are not green.

This is especially true for offshore turbines. The levelized cost of energy from those is 4-5 times that of about any "traditional" electrical generation plant option.

intertidal

The issue with the radar interference has to do with the vibrations and their frequencies. However, the massive Cove Point liquefaction compressors will produce very similar vibrations. Yet the local pols support Dominion's plans - despite the serious risks to residents. Perhaps the essential difference in political acceptance between the two plans is really more about political "donations" and lobbying activity.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The issue with the radar interference has to do with the vibrations and their frequencies. However, the massive Cove Point liquefaction compressors will produce very similar vibrations. .

Link? And what are the "serious risks" that you speak of?

The issue with the radar interference has to do with the vibrations and their frequencies.

There may be some truth to this. I know when I was designing cellular repeaters on base near the flight line, it was clear that the rotary wings caused havoc with reception.

intertidal

Link? And what are the "serious risks" that you speak of?

You need a link that compressors produce vibrations? LOL

I guess there's no risk - unless you care about the exposure of families to tons of over 100 different carcinogens. And the fires that have been in the news lately for much simpler and "safe" gassification facilities- that is all fiction from the liberal media?

Name one other dense residential area with a liquefaction plant - in the world.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You need a link that compressors produce vibrations? LOL

I guess there's no risk - unless you care about the exposure of families to tons of over 100 different carcinogens. And the fires that have been in the news lately for much simpler and "safe" gassification facilities- that is all fiction from the liberal media?

Name one other dense residential area with a liquefaction plant - in the world.

You spouted a bunch of bogus enviro-nut talking points. I care less than zero about those. So,yes, links with factual and substantiated data are what I asked for.

I've worked for over 30 years with gas turbine and compressor engineering.

You?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There may be some truth to this. I know when I was designing cellular repeaters on base near the flight line, it was clear that the rotary wings caused havoc with reception.

Wings (airfoils) shed vortices...those vortices have a rather remarkable "life span" and affect the space far downstream, flow wise, from their actual location. Any radar system that is Doppler based will be affected by that, to some degree. That physical phenomenon is not present in any shore-based prime movers or anything they drive.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The issue with the radar interference has to do with the vibrations and their frequencies. However, the massive Cove Point liquefaction compressors will produce very similar vibrations. Yet the local pols support Dominion's plans - despite the serious risks to residents. Perhaps the essential difference in political acceptance between the two plans is really more about political "donations" and lobbying activity.
Someone lied to you if you think windmill vibes are an issue. The problem is that the windmills have a huge radar cross section (RCS) and they show up like a rockfish swimming with a school of minnows.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
You had the same problem as the radars will, but it's got nothing to do with vibrations. You've got a rotating reflecting surface scattering the signal.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You had the same problem as the radars will, but it's got nothing to do with vibrations. You've got a rotating reflecting surface scattering the signal.

:yeahthat: Yep, they will generate "turbine clutter". And with the turbines being in the 600 foot tall range they have about a 40 mile line of sight range to a radar at 50 feet, so they will definitely impact radars at Pax.

MMDad

Lem Putt

As someone who has worked with radar for more than 30 years, I can tell you that you are 100% clueless. You could have 10,000 chicks light off their BOBs at once and it would not affect radar in the least.

And this sort of interference from the wind turbine generators is what has Central City, PA in an uproar over the windfarms affecting their farms, wildlife and human health...

Kay Armstrong, who lives near a wind farm in Ontario, Canada, has reported that her home is now “virtually uninhabitable” due to the infrasound from the turbines disturbing her sleep and making her feel dizzy. She also says that local deer are agitated and awake all night, that birds are flying around all day rather than going to roost, and that seals in the area are suffering miscarriages.

In another instance in Canada, an emu farm had to close after its animals started becoming aggressive and losing weight when wind turbines were installed nearby. Something similar happened in Taiwan in 2009, when about 400 goats died from exhaustion due to being unable to sleep thanks to noise from a nearby wind farm.

An academic study from Portugal also blamed wind turbines for deformities in foals born nearby, while an Australian vet said working dogs living near a wind farm were exhibiting unusual behaviour, often refusing to work or even get out of their kennels.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...Linked-to-Wind-Turbines-near-Danish-Mink-Farm

She also says that local deer are agitated and awake all night, that birds are flying around all day rather than going to roost,

:confused: Deer are nocturnal. They don't sleep much at night. Birds are usually awake during the day to feed, except owls and such.