Picture of the Day

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"A UH-1Y Huey helicopter flies U.S. service members across the horizon near Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, during a special patrol insertion and extraction rigging exercise, on May 13, 2014. The exercise was conducted as part of the Helicopter Rope Suspension Training Master's Course, a 10-day course to train U.S. service members to land on the ground quickly in situations where aircraft may have difficulty landing. (USMC/Lance Cpl. Matthew Bragg)"

Attachments

• s_w02_01341086.jpg
    s_w02_01341086.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 521

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Hueys are 50+ years old. I'm surprised they are still being utilized. The Blackhawk seems a better fit for the insertion/extraction mission.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Hueys are 50+ years old. I'm surprised they are still being utilized. The Blackhawk seems a better fit for the insertion/extraction mission.
That is the new UH-1Y, it's only been in the fleet for about 3 to 4 years.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The military certainly has some exhilarating challenges for its' service members. 1 of my favorites was the helo dunker. Imagine a giant coffee can suspended by cables. It was dropped in a swimming pool and the operator could rotate the dunker either left or right. Most times we ended upside down. The goal was to remove your seatbelt and shoulder straps then head out 1 of the exits. To increase the challenge we wore black out goggles to simulate total darkness. The dunker was 1 evolution that some came to love and others came to dread. I'm sure being suspended in the air on a rope or cable is just as adrenalizing.

dunker.jpg

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The military certainly has some exhilarating challenges for its' service members. 1 of my favorites was the helo dunker. Imagine a giant coffee can suspended by cables. It was dropped in a swimming pool and the operator could rotate the dunker either left or right. Most times we ended upside down. The goal was to remove your seatbelt and shoulder straps then head out 1 of the exits. To increase the challenge we wore black out goggles to simulate total darkness. The dunker was 1 evolution that some came to love and others came to dread.

And the divers in the water grabbing your legs and holding you under when you are trying to get out.
I kicked the $hit out of that F'er.

C

czygvtwkr

Depends, the Huey is quite a bit smaller and lighter, now they have four blades the performance has increased significantly. They are also quite a bit simpler.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Depends, the Huey is quite a bit smaller and lighter, now they have four blades the performance has increased significantly. They are also quite a bit simpler.

Depends. Why mess with a platform that has performed admirably for 50 years? Oh - politics and manufacturing districting supersedes the troops.

Who would have thunk it?

Does the A-10 ring a bell?

C

czygvtwkr

Depends. Why mess with a platform that has performed admirably for 50 years? Oh - politics and manufacturing districting supersedes the troops.

Who would have thunk it?

During those 50 years there had been quite a few significant changes to the UH-1 including moving from a single engine to a twin engine power plant.

GW8345

Not White House Approved

Who would have thunk it?

Um, the A-10 has received numerous upgrades during it's service, it's not the same aircraft it was 30 years ago.

So what you are saying is that if a platform is performing fine there's not reason to upgrade it or introduce a new platform, we should still be using F-4's, A-7's, A-6's, etc.

Tito

Donkey Smell
Um, the A-10 has received numerous upgrades during it's service, it's not the same aircraft it was 30 years ago.

So what you are saying is that if a platform is performing fine there's not reason to upgrade it or introduce a new platform, we should still be using F-4's, A-7's, A-6's, etc.

I question this. Link?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

IMHO the point is, you cannot replace the slow agile A-10C with a fast mover like the F-35 ....

the Chair Force has been trying to get rid of the A-10 since I was in the Army in the 80's - back then it was - the F-16 or 15 can do the same job BETTER !!!!