A question about fuel tankers.

garyt27

INAFJ
I was getting gas at Shell in PF, there was a Gott tanker there, I know this station is owned by Gott, My Question is: If he runs Citgo gas to Fast Stops, whats stopping him from dumping some at the Shell. I'm sure there are some checks at the fuel depot. But once he leaves there, where are the checks? Anybody?

C

czygvtwkr

Nothing, most people think the different brands of gas are different. No matter what the fancy marketing tells you they really aren't. There are very tight controls on what can be sold as gasoline.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Nothing, most people think the different brands of gas are different. No matter what the fancy marketing tells you they really aren't. There are very tight controls on what can be sold as gasoline.

And a VERY limited number of refineries making gas for everyone; about a half dozen within 200 miles and none of them owned by a single brand.

garyt27

INAFJ
So are you guys saying that all gas 87 octane is the same, no matter if its Shell or whatever? Aren't there additives and cleaners in some and not in others?

C

czygvtwkr

So are you guys saying that all gas 87 octane is the same, no matter if its Shell or whatever? Aren't there additives and cleaners in some and not in others?

There are additives and detergents in all gas, the exact type might be slightly different. The cleanliness of the tanks and filters and tanker trucks at the station makes more difference than the brand, but it is hard to sell the cleanliness of your filter.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Business/story?id=2978563

http://blogs.platts.com/2010/08/23/unbranded_vs_br/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
The only REAL gas left on the market is for Aviation. Sunoco 94 is best of the rest. The base gasoline is produced by a refinery and distributed to just about everyone as PBOB or RBOB (premium blend stock for oxygenated blending) or (regular blend stock for oxygenated blending) The jobbers will add there additive as they see fit. I could bore you with info overload but the bottom line is its almost all the same stuff with a brand name not meaning very much accept for the Sun 94.