DIY landlords, who pays for credit/background check?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, my tenant is moving on after two years, and I'm letting my real estate management company go, I just see that the value was there, given the monthly cost for their services. I plan on using MySmartMove from Transunion through USAA. This service lets the landlord pay or make the applicants pay. Those of you who manage our own rentals, do you pay for these things, or expect the applicant to pay. I have not rented since the early 00s, and my last landlords were individuals who didn't ask for such. Not a large charge, only $12. Process is they give me an email, they log into the site, fill out the application, and then I get a report on those things with personal identifying information removed.

So, whats the usual practice? Am I crazy to expect applicants to pay?

ginwoman

I think when they go to an agent, they have to pay for it. So I would think it would be appropriate for you to expect them to pay it.

Roman

Our Tenants pay for their own background checks. If they can't afford it, they shouldn't be considered for being a tenant.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My company paid for mine when I had to get one to travel for them.

I'm almost positive hubby's didn't. I can't imagine how much a security clearance would have cost. He would have had to look for another job, lol.

PeoplesElbow

Yes, for personal travel.

If the landlord is the one wanting to know the info of the renter, why should the renter pay for it?

It's no different than selling a used car that had already been inspected, it is the buyer that wants it to pass inspection.

That and it will keep dumbasses from applying that know they will not come back ok. How would you like to be a landlord and pay for 5 or 6 in a row that failed?

PeoplesElbow

Think about the person who actually did pass and rents the place. In the end his rent would end up subsidizing the background checks of all the people that failed the check due to increased costs to the property owner.

nobody really

I need a nap
Can't you deduct the cost of the background check on your taxes? when i was married, i did.

There are so many (maryland case search, PACER (public access to Court Electronic Records, usually has bankruptcy/tax info) databases to check people out. And of course, the ever reliable facebook.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I have any prospective tenant go on a free credit report site and download me a copy of their credit report. This report goes in their file with the application. There is a date on the report so I know if it current. I don't see the need to charge anyone for something they can get themselves with very little effort.

nobody really

I need a nap
I have any prospective tenant go on a free credit report site and download me a copy of their credit report. This report goes in their file with the application. There is a date on the report so I know if it current. I don't see the need to charge anyone for something they can get themselves with very little effort.

yep, i forgot creditkarma.com is free. and scary what kinda of accurate information is there.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I let my property manager handle everything even when my brother and his family are my tenants. :)

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
We had to pay at both apartment complexes we lived at. Would not see it different than someone renting a house form an individual. It was not a lot, $35 each at one place, and $50 for both at the other.