Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best roast ever? Try slow roasting

Blog Entries

Best roast ever? Try slow roasting

I've been doing this for a few years now. Overnight roasting in a very slow oven. The meat does not experience a huge amount of moisture loss. I try to use a better cut of meat when doing it this way. The attached article says this method works with a tougher cut of meat such as a shoulder cut.

1 other benefit is that it makes for an easy clean up of the pan. There isn't a lot of burnt on residue. Just soak the pan for a while and it cleans up easy.

You can produce perfectly cooked roast beef while you sleep, even with an array of beefy-tasting cuts, from pricey prime rib to affordable round roast. Slow roasting at a low temperature is the way to go. Butchers, chefs and meat experts agree that it's easy to do in basic home ovens. No fire-breathing, commercial-quality ranges are required.[

Slow-low roasting maximizes the taste of a whole beef tenderloin and prime rib roast, but the great secret and value of such a method is that it will tenderize and bring out the beefiest flavors of the less-expensive shoulder, round and rump roast cuts.

Although the slow-low method takes about 2 1/2 hours per pound at 170 degrees, it won't cost you extra time. A three- to four-pound roast can be placed in the oven to cook overnight. The temperature is so low that nothing will burn, and by the morning, the roast will be done.
    Slow roasting

Slow roasting recipe step by step
    Last edited by Monello; 11-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

That's why it's called a Sunday roast. You put it in the oven and by the time you get ready for dinner after church it's ready.

I use the crockpot for almost all my roasts anymore. They turn out perfect.
    *Disclaimer: My online conversation and comments to you in no way imply that I am actually interested in you.*

[QUOTE=Monello;5394639]I've been doing this for a few years now. Overnight roasting in a very slow oven. The meat does not experience a huge amount of moisture loss. I try to use a better cut of meat when doing it this way. The attached article says this method works with a tougher cut of meat such as a shoulder cut.

1 other benefit is that it makes for an easy clean up of the pan. There isn't a lot of burnt on residue. Just soak the pan for a while and it cleans up easy.

[QUOTE]You can produce perfectly cooked roast beef while you sleep, even with an array of beefy-tasting cuts, from pricey prime rib to affordable round roast. Slow roasting at a low temperature is the way to go. Butchers, chefs and meat experts agree that it's easy to do in basic home ovens. No fire-breathing, commercial-quality ranges are required.[

Slow-low roasting maximizes the taste of a whole beef tenderloin and prime rib roast, but the great secret and value of such a method is that it will tenderize and bring out the beefiest flavors of the less-expensive shoulder, round and rump roast cuts.

Although the slow-low method takes about 2 1/2 hours per pound at 170 degrees, it won't cost you extra time. A three- to four-pound roast can be placed in the oven to cook overnight. The temperature is so low that nothing will burn, and by the morning, the roast will be done.
    Going to pick up a prime rib and try this.
    Having too much ammunition in the house is like having too much fuel in your aircraft; the only time you have too much is when you're on fire.

The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Blog Entries
    I admit I when Monello said he was going to do the rib roast low and slow. I'm a hot and fast rib roaster and I was sure the low/slow would overcook it.

Nope.

The roast was a gorgeous med rare and extremely flavorful. He is in charge of Christmas dinner from now on.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I admit I when Monello said he was going to do the rib roast low and slow. I'm a hot and fast rib roaster and I was sure the low/slow would overcook it.

Nope.

The roast was a gorgeous med rare and extremely flavorful. He is in charge of Christmas dinner from now on.
    Do you even cook anymore?
    Having too much ammunition in the house is like having too much fuel in your aircraft; the only time you have too much is when you're on fire.

The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    A little bit but he likes it and is better at it, so....
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    He handles dinner, she handles dessert.
    "Hold my beer and watch this" is a bad thing to say.

[QUOTE=Monello;5394639]Although the slow-low method takes about 2 1/2 hours per pound at 170 degrees, it won't cost you extra time. A three- to four-pound roast can be placed in the oven to cook overnight. The temperature is so low that nothing will burn, and by the morning, the roast will be done.[QUOTE]

So after it cooks all night and is done by morning, then what do you do with it? Eat it for breakfast? Dinner is still many hours later after its done cooking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    So after it cooks all night and is done by morning, then what do you do with it? Eat it for breakfast? Dinner is still many hours later after its done cooking.
    You can always vary the starting time to have it ready when you will need it. We did have it for breakfast. It was a sort of trial run. I just had the last piece for lunch today. I had it cold on a roll with mayo, horseradish and lettuce. Yumm. I had some last night in a sort of chef salad. We've been eating it in some form or another for the last few days.

Depending on the size of your roast(6 pounds or so), if you put it in around midnight it could take until 3pm to be ready. Let it sit a half hour before carving. YMMV
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    I had it cold on a roll with mayo, horseradish and lettuce. Yumm. I had some last night in a sort of chef salad.
    I sullied that beef with nothing. It stood alone in its glory as God intended.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 30