Best roast ever? Try slow roasting

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I've been doing this for a few years now. Overnight roasting in a very slow oven. The meat does not experience a huge amount of moisture loss. I try to use a better cut of meat when doing it this way. The attached article says this method works with a tougher cut of meat such as a shoulder cut.

1 other benefit is that it makes for an easy clean up of the pan. There isn't a lot of burnt on residue. Just soak the pan for a while and it cleans up easy.

You can produce perfectly cooked roast beef while you sleep, even with an array of beefy-tasting cuts, from pricey prime rib to affordable round roast. Slow roasting at a low temperature is the way to go. Butchers, chefs and meat experts agree that it's easy to do in basic home ovens. No fire-breathing, commercial-quality ranges are required.[

Slow-low roasting maximizes the taste of a whole beef tenderloin and prime rib roast, but the great secret and value of such a method is that it will tenderize and bring out the beefiest flavors of the less-expensive shoulder, round and rump roast cuts.

Although the slow-low method takes about 2 1/2 hours per pound at 170 degrees, it won't cost you extra time. A three- to four-pound roast can be placed in the oven to cook overnight. The temperature is so low that nothing will burn, and by the morning, the roast will be done.

Slow roasting

Slow roasting recipe step by step

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
That's why it's called a Sunday roast. You put it in the oven and by the time you get ready for dinner after church it's ready. :dance:

I use the crockpot for almost all my roasts anymore. They turn out perfect.

Vince

I've been doing this for a few years now. Overnight roasting in a very slow oven. The meat does not experience a huge amount of moisture loss. I try to use a better cut of meat when doing it this way. The attached article says this method works with a tougher cut of meat such as a shoulder cut.

1 other benefit is that it makes for an easy clean up of the pan. There isn't a lot of burnt on residue. Just soak the pan for a while and it cleans up easy.

You can produce perfectly cooked roast beef while you sleep, even with an array of beefy-tasting cuts, from pricey prime rib to affordable round roast. Slow roasting at a low temperature is the way to go. Butchers, chefs and meat experts agree that it's easy to do in basic home ovens. No fire-breathing, commercial-quality ranges are required.[

Slow-low roasting maximizes the taste of a whole beef tenderloin and prime rib roast, but the great secret and value of such a method is that it will tenderize and bring out the beefiest flavors of the less-expensive shoulder, round and rump roast cuts.

Although the slow-low method takes about 2 1/2 hours per pound at 170 degrees, it won't cost you extra time. A three- to four-pound roast can be placed in the oven to cook overnight. The temperature is so low that nothing will burn, and by the morning, the roast will be done.
Going to pick up a prime rib and try this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I admit I :eyebrow: when Monello said he was going to do the rib roast low and slow. I'm a hot and fast rib roaster and I was sure the low/slow would overcook it.

Nope.

The roast was a gorgeous med rare and extremely flavorful. He is in charge of Christmas dinner from now on. :starcat:

Vince

I admit I :eyebrow: when Monello said he was going to do the rib roast low and slow. I'm a hot and fast rib roaster and I was sure the low/slow would overcook it.

Nope.

The roast was a gorgeous med rare and extremely flavorful. He is in charge of Christmas dinner from now on. :starcat:
Do you even cook anymore? :whistle:

General Lee

So after it cooks all night and is done by morning, then what do you do with it? Eat it for breakfast? Dinner is still many hours later after its done cooking.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So after it cooks all night and is done by morning, then what do you do with it? Eat it for breakfast? Dinner is still many hours later after its done cooking.

You can always vary the starting time to have it ready when you will need it. We did have it for breakfast. It was a sort of trial run. I just had the last piece for lunch today. I had it cold on a roll with mayo, horseradish and lettuce. Yumm. I had some last night in a sort of chef salad. We've been eating it in some form or another for the last few days.

Depending on the size of your roast(6 pounds or so), if you put it in around midnight it could take until 3pm to be ready. Let it sit a half hour before carving. YMMV

Hank

my war
The Flavor Flav & Bob Saget roasts were pretty damn good. I want to try the Don Rickles that just came out.

General Lee

You can always vary the starting time to have it ready when you will need it. We did have it for breakfast. It was a sort of trial run. I just had the last piece for lunch today. I had it cold on a roll with mayo, horseradish and lettuce. Yumm. I had some last night in a sort of chef salad. We've been eating it in some form or another for the last few days.

Depending on the size of your roast(6 pounds or so), if you put it in around midnight it could take until 3pm to be ready. Let it sit a half hour before carving. YMMV

Nice, I will have to do this. Thanks

So if I want my roast to be well-done... no pink at all... how many days ahead of time should I begin cooking it...:confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So if I want my roast to be well-done... no pink at all... how many days ahead of time should I begin cooking it...:confused:

Give me the roast and I'll bring you back a perfectly cooked piece of well done meat.

I have some leather shoes I need to get rid of.

acommondisaster

Cook it till pink, let it rest, slice it and then warm up with the juices from the bottom of the pan and it will get to well done in a minute or two (omg don't boil it) and still be juicy. Works well when you have ppl who have different preferences of doneness, too. Throw some rosemary or thyme in with those juices (or some sage for just a half a minute) to make it super yummy.

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks, Monello, for the alternate cooking method. I have been using one I discovered about 3 years ago. I am sure you know. It is preheat oven to 450-500. Cook 7 minutes per pound. Turn oven off. Let roast sit for 2 1/2 hours in the oven without opening. I have had good luck with that, but I will try your way next time. Thanks for the tip!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cook it till pink, let it rest, slice it and then warm up with the juices from the bottom of the pan and it will get to well done in a minute or two (omg don't boil it) and still be juicy. Works well when you have ppl who have different preferences of doneness, too. Throw some rosemary or thyme in with those juices (or some sage for just a half a minute) to make it super yummy.

Do not encourage her aberrant behavior please. :mad: