So sick of pan handlers

C

czygvtwkr

Is pan handling illegal in any way? Yesterday I had someone approach me inside of a store, never had that before.

I am so damned sick of getting calls for donations, people coming to my door wanting donations, telemarketers, being asked at the cash register if I would like to donate to whatever, and the run of the mill junkie wanting to "borrow" some money.

R

rhenderson

"I'm so damned sick of getting calls for donations......

There is a way to fix that. Just be grateful that you're the one being asked rather than the one needing to ask.

Rhenderson makes a good point. I'll simply add- when I dont want to give- I simply say no thank you and walk away. Or hang up. I dont let them ask twice and so far that works just fine. We all give in some way (I hope) and yea, I agree the extortion from various businesses, charities and assorted homeless needs to stop. Until it does- I just cut them off quick so they know Im serious.

C

czygvtwkr

There is a way to fix that. Just be grateful that you're the one being asked rather than the one needing to ask.

I made the mistake of donating to the FOP one year, within a month I started getting calls from the Troopers Association, more calls from the FOP, and some other LEO organization. Once you donate once they never leave you alone.

My mother got a call at 7:30 AM this past week for some charity.

Wrkn4livn

VERY Good Point! People forget. It can be bothersome for sure but it also should give one pause that your not on the otherside like you said...

mamatutu

mama to two
I think charity is a private thing. And, many of us do it. My hub and I have charities that we give to on a constant basis. Some come directly out of the paychecks. Yes, we have to cut it off at some point because it can become unaffordable. I feel that if you are approached on the street and asked for money, there is most likely drugs involved. I have seen people on the side of the road with signs asking for help (cripples, veterans, etc) and I will give them money from my car window at the stop light. My rule is if a stranger approaches me for money, I say no. I was gullible one time when that happened, and I did give money. But, now that I am aware, I know how to handle the situation. I am like the biggest bleeding heart ever, and I am a Repulican. :lol: You have to draw the line at some point.

Hannibal

I will also state "I am sick of it." As noted above, charity is a private thing and I give when/where I can and where I want. Above the telemarketers which always seem to call 10 minutes after I put the kids down, I am sick of the people who approach you when you're shopping or out and about. It used to be that some folks would hang out by the stop lights / intersections. And you had the choice to hand them money when you drove past them. It then turned into them walking back and forth in between the stopped cars with their signs. Then it progressed to them stopping in front of your car and staring right out you, in sense trying to shame you into giving them something. It annoys the "F" out of me.

The biggest current example of this is a place where I stop for gas several times a week (Dunkin Donuts in Upper Marlboro) on my way home. There is an older lady with a bad limp who sits on a bucket in front of the store. And as people pull up to gas up - she walks over and tells you the same story each time (she is trying to get $20 to feed her kids until her check comes). I've heard the story 3 times now.

The first time I declined as I usually don't carry any cash. The second time I told her no but purchased a dozen donuts that she could feed to her kids (not healthy but better than being hungry). She seemed annoyed but if her story was truthful, one would think she would eagerly take it. The third time, I offered her the same deal. Again she seemed annoyed and said "OK" but as I walked in - she stopped me and asked me for a Cool-latta instead (Cookie Dough).

Next time, I will simply say "no". The kids must have not enjoyed the donuts last time I guess.

The sad part though is that my frustration is about at its breaking point. I don't want to be "that guy" to inform the cashier that the constant harrassment is going to drive people away (you can't even pump gas without getting the sob story) .... I am sure they know but really can't do much about it. I might just simply go somewhere else which bites a bit because it's a rather convenient location for me (and the coffee is good).

tommyjo

This is what you people asked for and constantly advocate for.

Cut food stamps! Cut housing assistance! Cut every possible government aid to the poor, the sick, the injured!

Hell just a couple days ago there was a "just go get a job" thread on this idiotic site.

So what's the end result? Panhandlers, telemarketers, tv campaigns and mailers. So now you all complain about that too!??!

What's your next "compassionate conservative" position going to be: round up all the poor, underprivileged, sick or injured then dump them somewhere that is guarded by high caliber weaponry, surrounded by razor wire and minefields so they can't escape and ruin your pathetic day because they asked for some change?

nutz

Cut food stamps! Cut housing assistance! Cut every possible government aid to the poor, the sick, the injured!

Hell just a couple days ago there was a "just go get a job" thread on this idiotic site.

So what's the end result? Panhandlers, telemarketers, tv campaigns and mailers. So now you all complain about that too!??!

What's your next "compassionate conservative" position going to be: round up all the poor, underprivileged, sick or injured then dump them somewhere that is guarded by high caliber weaponry, surrounded by razor wire and minefields so they can't escape and ruin your pathetic day because they asked for some change?

No internet access for all of you that are benefiting from public assistance.

C

czygvtwkr

Those people want drug and alcohol money and you know it. My friend gave this girl at popeyes $10 cause she said she needed gas to get to Leonardtown, I walk in right after he gave her $10 and she gave me the exact same story a couple minutes later. As we was leaving she was still hitting people up.

Nothing has been cut by the way.

Hijinx

Damn Tommy. You must be a total idiot if you keep coming to a site you think is idiotic.
Why don't you find something more worthy of your precious time.
It's not like you ever contribute anything to any thread anyway.

Why don't you start reading, there are many books you might understand like "See Spot Run".

bilbur

No, what I ask for is for people to take some personal responsibility and find an honest way to make a dollar. There are truly people that are down on their luck and need assistance but they are overshadowed by the ones that don't want to work, made themselves addicted to drugs, or are just plane old pieces of crap that should be flushed out of society. For the record I do make donations, usually locally, and when I can anonymously so I can make the contributions on my terms and not just because they guilt me into it.

You'd be amazed at the number of people that make panhandling a career. That's their job; ask for money. And they do very well at it, then go home to a nice house with a nice car and a solid meal.

Because it's so tough to figure out who really is in need, I choose to ignore them all. Sounds harsh, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give my money to someone who doesn't really need or deserve it.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Last week I was in Waldorf Walmart (why do I do I go there?) and someone was actualy going through the isles bugging shoppers for donations to Make-A-Wish.

I have handed CCSD $50 while they were doing shop with a cop before.

Toxick

Splat

This statement triggers a curiosity in me.

It is clear that you do not like this site. More specifically, It is clear that you don't like a single god damned person who frequents this website.

And yet here you are, again, snarking at everyone you come into contact with, and slinging your foam-flecked vitriol all over anyone who enters your blast radius.

The question I have for you is quite simply, "Why?"

If I found myself on a website surrounded by people whom I unabashedly hate, I'd leave.

As I believe most sensible people would.

So what's your deal? Do you enjoy working your panties into a knot?

PsyOps

Pixelated
This statement triggers a curiosity in me.

It is clear that you do not like this site. More specifically, It is clear that you don't like a single god damned person who frequents this website.

And yet here you are, again, snarking at everyone you come into contact with, and slinging your foam-flecked vitriol all over anyone who enters your blast radius.

The question I have for you is quite simply, "Why?"

If I found myself on a website surrounded by people whom I unabashedly hate, I'd leave.

As I believe most sensible people would.

So what's your deal? Do you enjoy working your panties into a knot?

Dude... ToJo is a driveby. She posts then disappears never to be seen in that thread again.

ToJo is one of those people that comes up behind you, takes a poke at your head then runs away before you can respond.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I made the mistake of donating to the FOP one year, within a month I started getting calls from the Troopers Association, more calls from the FOP, and some other LEO organization. Once you donate once they never leave you alone.

My mother got a call at 7:30 AM this past week for some charity.

Have to be careful with some of the ones claiming to raise money for LEO associations. I understand a few are not directly affiliated with the FOP.

Rule of thumb, I say, "No thank you, sorry, can't help you" to all calls.
First, I don't know how much of my money is going to the charity and how much is going to a private company calling on behalf of.
Second, I like to donate to charities where the money goes to address the problem, I don't care how worthy the cause, if a large percentage of my donation is going to pay administrative costs, I take it else where.

As for people with their hand out, if they look hungry, I'll offer to buy them a meal (nothing fancy), but never offer cash.
You can tell the people who really need help, they are happy to take the meal.

Have to be careful with some of the ones claiming to raise money for LEO associations. I understand a few are not directly affiliated with the FOP.

Same with the LP Rescue Squad. For a long time they would come around to the house asking for donations, representing themselves as the LPVRS, and I gave. Turns out the group was only loosely associated with LPVRS and less than 50% of my donation went to the rescue squad. Found this out from a friend who is a longtime member of the squad.

itsrequired

I don't see this as a big deal. People want something from me and I say no or yes. I go into Giant and a Vet is there looking for donations I am happy to give. I got a call from a charity and I told them no, and please take me off their list. Done and done.

itsrequired

While I almost never agree with you, sometimes you make an interesting point. This is not one of those times. People panhandling aren't people who are not getting assistance most of the time. They are people who are trying to use the system in everyway they can.