Best "One Hit Wonder" band and their signature song

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm sure everyone has one. A song so great that you figured the band was destined for stardom. Instead they ended up the answer to a trivia question.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
[video=youtube;uW24rmJLlM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW24rmJLlM0[/video]

BOP

I'm sure everyone has one. A song so great that you figured the band was destined for stardom. Instead they ended up the answer to a trivia question.

I'm guessing you are using it in the sense of an obscure group, band, or person having a song that charted (made it into the Top 100). One source I read narrowed it down even further to the Top 40.

Bearing that in mind, Janis, Jimi, Devo, and a bunch of others were technically "one-hit wonders," since they made the Top 40 only once each in their careers.

There are many earlier one-hit wonders, but this is the earliest one I can remember right now. Norman Greenbaum, "Spirit in the Sky."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Watts in a Tank was the first album released by the Dutch musical group Diesel. It was first released in the Netherlands in 1980 by Polydor,[3] and was released in the United States by Regency in 1981.[4] A CD reprint was released by One Way in 2002.[4]

The album, in-between rock and power pop, contained several polished soft metal ballads and was compared by some to Tom Petty's work,[5][6] although the biggest hit from the album, "Sausalito Summernight" (which peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 at #25) has frequently been misattributed to the Steve Miller Band.[4] The album reached #68 on the U.S. Billboard chart in 1981.[7] Four of the tracks from this album (the aforementioned "Sausalito Summernight," "Goin' Back to China," "Alibi," and "Down in the Silvermine") were released as singles.[3]

Get the Knack is the debut album by the Knack, released in June 1979. At the time, the album was one of the most successful debuts in history, selling over one million copies in less than two months and spending five weeks at number one on the Billboard 200 album chart. The lead single from the album, "My Sharona", was number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks and number one on Billboard's Top Pop Singles of 1979 year end chart.