Lost IRS Emails

I can see a small business or a person losing emails due to a computer crash. But we are talking about the IRS. A huge company. Every large business I know doesn't use local computer-based email, but server based. And as part of backup/recovery/required archive, these servers are backed up on a regular basis and are required to store those backups in a safe place.

So the IRS is saying they had no server-based email? No backups? No archives? One computer goes down and huge numbers of emails are lost? Now multiple computers are claimed to have crashed and email from those computers are lost as well.

:bs:

Hijinx

I can see a small business or a person losing emails due to a computer crash. But we are talking about the IRS. A huge company. Every large business I know doesn't use local computer-based email, but server based. And as part of backup/recovery/required archive, these servers are backed up on a regular basis and are required to store those backups in a safe place.

So the IRS is saying they had no server-based email? No backups? No archives? One computer goes down and huge numbers of emails are lost? Now multiple computers are claimed to have crashed and email from those computers are lost as well.

It's all a lie, and it will go unpunished. The governance of America is no longer a Republic , it is a corrupt third world sh1thole.

C

czygvtwkr

We have many government agencies thta can recover that data. Hell I can recover a lot of data from a crashed hard drive. A friend of mine asked me to recover some pictures on his SD card once, I wish I hadn't he had forgotten about pictures of him and his wife on there from about 5 years earlier..... There is a reason certain drives are over written several times with strings of 1's and 0's, degausssed and then physically destroyed.

MMDad

Lem Putt
We have many government agencies thta can recover that data. Hell I can recover a lot of data from a crashed hard drive. A friend of mine asked me to recover some pictures on his SD card once, I wish I hadn't he had forgotten about pictures of him and his wife on there from about 5 years earlier..... There is a reason certain drives are over written several times with strings of 1's and 0's, degausssed and then physically destroyed.

Couldn't they just go to NSA and get all of it? Or do they only collect private traffic?

Grumpy

Ever hear of Continuity of Services?? Email is mirrored, no way in hell that a HD crash lost it.

See Annex F – Delegations of Authority

d. CONTINUITY FACILITIES. The use of continuity facilities enhances the resiliency and continuity capability of organizations. The term “continuity facilities” is comprehensive, referring to both alternate and devolution sites where essential functions are continued or resumed during a continuity event. “Alternate sites” are locations, other than the primary facility, used to carry out essential functions, usually by relocating Emergency Relocation Group (ERG) members following activation of the continuity plan. “Devolution sites” are locations used to carry out essential functions by devolving the essential functions to a geographically-separated facility and staff following activation of the devolution plan. These sites refer to not only other facilities and locations, but also work arrangements such as telework and mobile work concepts.

See Annex G – Continuity Facilities

e. CONTINUITY COMMUNICATIONS. The ability of an organization to execute its essential functions at its continuity facilities depends on the identification, availability, reliability, and redundancy of critical secure and non-secure communications and information technology (IT) systems. These communications and systems support connectivity among key government leadership personnel, internal organization elements, other organizations, critical customers, and the public. By mirroring capabilities used during day-to-day operations and choosing resilient communications and IT systems that are capable of operating under conditions that may involve power or other infrastructure disruptions, organizations further ensure the performance of essential functions in emergency situations.

Page 1 -

In May 2007, the National Security Presidential Directive-51/Homeland Security Presidential Directive-20, National Continuity Policy, was issued by the President to establish and maintain a comprehensive and effective national continuity capability in order to ensure resilience and the preservation of our form of Government under the Constitution and the continuing performance of National Essential Functions under all conditions. In August 2007, the President approved the National Continuity Policy Implementation Plan to build upon the National Continuity Policy and provide guidance to Federal Executive Branch organizations on appropriately identifying and carrying out their Primary Mission Essential Functions that support the eight National Essential Functions – the most critical functions necessary to lead and sustain the Nation during a catastrophic emergency.

To provide the operational guidance to implement this policy, the Department of Homeland Security, in coordination with its interagency partners, developed Federal Continuity Directive (FCD) 1, dated February 2008. In this update to the FCD, new policies and clarifications to existing policies are provided in order to give direction for the further development of continuity plans and programs for the Federal Executive Branch. Effective continuity planning and programs enhance the resilience of organizations and facilitate the performance of essential functions during all-hazards emergencies or other situations that may disrupt normal operations. The primary goal of continuity in the executive branch is the continuation of essential functions.

In this directive, the elements of a viable continuity capability for our Nation are discussed. These elements, along with the coordination of Tribal, State, Territorial, and local governments and the private sector, are critical to establishing and maintaining a comprehensive and effective continuity capability. Continuity programs and operations are simply good business practices that ensure government functions and services will be available to the Nation’s citizens under all conditions.

The provisions of this FCD are applicable at all levels of Federal Executive Branch organizations regardless of their location, including regional and field locations.

Janet Napolitano
Secretary
Department of Homeland Security

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Well, there are certain segments of our population that will swallow this bullchlt hook, line and sinker. Right BB??? And another whose name I can't say.... Poor second class citizen......

Thanx, Grumpy. I was trying to remember the term, but things like that get purged after retiring... :biggrin:

I also find it very strange that no one is questioning them, not one congressman or senator, just accepting what their "IT guy" says as fact. At least, that's all I've seen reported so far.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Now multiple computers are claimed to have crashed and email from those computers are lost as well.

Oddly enough...they were all computers used by the other "persons of interest" .....those whom Lerner communicated with daily about the execution of the harassment operations. Weird, huh?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I wonder if anyone has looked in the filing cabinets for the hard copies that they are supposed to maintain.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Couldn't they just go to NSA and get all of it? Or do they only collect private traffic?

Relevant:

http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/17/rep-stockman-to-nsa-turn-over-metadata-o

The latest hairy growth on the IRS-targeting-Tea-Partiers scandal is that the federal agency apparently lost more than two years' worth of potentially incriminating emails in a single computer crash. Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) has proposed a creative solution to the problem: have the National Security Agency (NSA) release the relevant metadata.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A summary and discussion of some of the latest revelations. This is an ugly mess.

As to Ms. Lerner's behavior, consider that House Ways & Means Chairman Dave Camp first sent a letter asking if the IRS was engaged in targeting in June, 2011. Ms. Lerner denied it. She engineered a plant in an audience at a tax conference in May 2013 to drop the bombshell news about targeting (maybe hoping nobody would notice?). She has subsequently asserted a Fifth Amendment right to silence in front of the only people actually investigating the affair, Congress. Now we learn that her hard drive supposedly defied modernity and suffered total annihilation about 10 days after the Camp letter arrived.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/349965.php

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Best legislation proposal evah.

Under Stockman’s bill, “The Dog Ate My Tax Receipts Act,” taxpayers who do not provide documents requested by the IRS can claim one of the following reasons:

1. The dog ate my tax receipts
2. Convenient, unexplained, miscellaneous computer malfunction
3. Traded documents for five terrorists
4. Burned for warmth while lost in the Yukon
5. Left on table in Hillary’s Book Room
6. Received water damage in the trunk of Ted Kennedy’s car
7. Forgot in gun case sold to Mexican drug lords
8. Forced to recycle by municipal Green Czar
9. Was short on toilet paper while camping
10. At this point, what difference does it make?

http://stockman.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/stockman-bill-allows-taxpayers-to-use-same-lame-excuses-as-irs

SamSpade

I'm still amazed that there isn't more media outrage at this. Paul Ryan observed that the IRS demands years of documents be maintained on the part of the taxpayer, but they can't find their emails? That somehow, every machine holding these emails were all mysteriously ruined, including the backups? And that the problem occurred years ago, and they only mentioned it now?

This really is the dog ate my homework kind of crap.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's all a lie, and it will go unpunished. .

I see no reason to argue you are wrong. The congress is stunningly passive. The argument is whether or not it reflects the will of the people. Again, not much reason to argue it doesn't.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm still amazed that there isn't more media outrage at this. Paul Ryan observed that the IRS demands years of documents be maintained on the part of the taxpayer, but they can't find their emails? That somehow, every machine holding these emails were all mysteriously ruined, including the backups? And that the problem occurred years ago, and they only mentioned it now?

This really is the dog ate my homework kind of crap.

Would that be the media that knows, for all intents and purposes, it is being spied on, all the time? The media that, negligently, willingly, gleefully, helped us along this path of ever more government control?
It is of a kind; if you believe in big gummint as the answer to most questions, you believe in big gummint. To discover at some later point that that means more power over you as well is to observe that more rain soaks everyone.

The 'media' now is, collectively, trying to figure out how to be able to claim to have been doing their job all along while continuing to not do it.

The only reason President Obama is not being checked and held accountable is the same reason he was elected in the first place; his skin color.