Finally, this one Judge gets it right!

Rommey

Why is it that only certain crosses cause atheists to be offended? If they are offended at the sight of one particular cross, then wouldn't all crosses offend them? And if it's only crosses on government property, then their heads must explode if they ever went to Arlington...

mamatutu

mama to two
Why is it that only certain crosses cause atheists to be offended? If they are offended at the sight of one particular cross, then wouldn't all crosses offend them? And if it's only crosses on government property, then their heads must explode if they ever went to Arlington...

I was thinking about that myself. You would think that if crosses offend them, their heads would be spinning all over the place! The cross was found in the rubble; it wasn't manufactured. So, in a way, it doesn't have to be related to religion. It is just a piece of the twin towers that came down, and was used as a memorial. It just happens to be a symbol of the Christian faith. I just want to slap whiners and haters all the way to the curb. And, if you are an atheist, and have no religion, how can you protest against symbols of faith? So convoluted. Our world has become ridiculous. Period.

BOP

I've got no argument with y'all's arguments, but I do take issue with the idea that on one hand, people are claiming that this cross is not specific to any religion or creed, and on the other, we have the title of the picture, which reads "FILE: July 23, 2011: The World Trade Center Cross waits to be blessed by a Franciscan priest, New York, N.Y.REUTERS."

Which is it? Sectarian or non-sectarian? You don't get to have it both ways.

Hijinx

I was thinking about that myself. You would think that if crosses offend them, their heads would be spinning all over the place! The cross was found in the rubble; it wasn't manufactured. So, in a way, it doesn't have to be related to religion. It is just a piece of the twin towers that came down, and was used as a memorial. It just happens to be a symbol of the Christian faith. I just want to slap whiners and haters all the way to the curb. And, if you are an atheist, and have no religion, how can you protest against symbols of faith? So convoluted. Our world has become ridiculous. Period.

It isn't the cross that offends atheists. It is the fact that you believe in Christ and they don't.
They are jealous of the beliefs of Christians . You have an afterlife and they just get dirt in their face.
This obsesses them that you have faith. They feel left out.

The Cross , any cross they see every day is a constant reminder that their life will end at death while yours will go on.

They would also like to believe that with death they will be received into a better world.
We all like to believe that. They would like to believe that some day they will be re-united with loved ones.
That we will meet in a world without war, a land of constant love.
That we will be rewarded for being faithful and for being good Christians while in this world.
That even if we stray once in a while from being good Christians we still have a chance at being saved , if we believe.

They do not have this crutch, because they cannot believe. so they are jealous of Christians beliefs' and they try to destroy these beliefs.
So you will be just as miserable as they are.

Chris0nllyn

I'm atheist and could care less about crosses. (I in fact have one tattoed on me).

Also, IMO, they aren;t protesting against symbols of faith, they are protesting government support for certain religions because we are supposed to be a country founded on religous freedom.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I've got no argument with y'all's arguments, but I do take issue with the idea that on one hand, people are claiming that this cross is not specific to any religion or creed, and on the other, we have the title of the picture, which reads "FILE: July 23, 2011: The World Trade Center Cross waits to be blessed by a Franciscan priest, New York, N.Y.REUTERS."

Which is it? Sectarian or non-sectarian? You don't get to have it both ways.
Anything can be blessed that's not the point.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'm atheist and could care less about crosses. (I in fact have one tattoed on me).

Also, IMO, they aren;t protesting against symbols of faith, they are protesting government support for certain religions because we are supposed to be a country founded on religous freedom.

There is nothing in the Constitution that says the government can or cannot condone or allow any religion. Show me one religion that the US government does not condone or allow. Show me one religion that the US government officially supports, except in the minds of atheists, or at least those that make all the noise.

The squeaky wheel sure wants to get greased, and this judge showed common sense and judgement here.

Chris0nllyn

There is nothing in the Constitution that says the government can or cannot condone or allow any religion. Show me one religion that the US government does not condone or allow. Show me one religion that the US government officially supports, except in the minds of atheists, or at least those that make all the noise.

The squeaky wheel sure wants to get greased, and this judge showed common sense and judgement here.

I agree the judge was correct in this ruling.

Of course the govt./ doesn't officially support any religion. It can't. But I don't see Buddah, or Allah in prayer before sessions or the pledge of allegance.

Again, I don't really care, and will recite the pledge either way, just pointing that out.

BOP

It isn't the cross that offends atheists. It is the fact that you believe in Christ and they don't.
They are jealous of the beliefs of Christians . You have an afterlife and they just get dirt in their face.
This obsesses them that you have faith. They feel left out.

The Cross , any cross they see every day is a constant reminder that their life will end at death while yours will go on.

They would also like to believe that with death they will be received into a better world.
We all like to believe that. They would like to believe that some day they will be re-united with loved ones.
That we will meet in a world without war, a land of constant love.
That we will be rewarded for being faithful and for being good Christians while in this world.
That even if we stray once in a while from being good Christians we still have a chance at being saved , if we believe.

They do not have this crutch, because they cannot believe. so they are jealous of Christians beliefs' and they try to destroy these beliefs.
So you will be just as miserable as they are.

That's one of the most retarded things I've heard in many a long day, and that's saying something.

Hijinx

That's one of the most retarded things I've heard in many a long day, and that's saying something.

I am certainly willing to listen to your reasoning for why atheists get so upset about a cross. Are you willing to give one?