Places in St Mary's and Calvert to go kayaking

josh86

Me and my wife recently bought kayaks and we are excited to take them out on the water but the trouble is, we don't know where yet. We were looking for rather calm waters like lakes, larger ponds or rivers that we could take the kayaks out. Preferably Calvert or St. Mary's but we do not live to far from Annapolis. We live in Huntingtown.

Thank you!

Midnightrider

Me and my wife recently bought kayaks and we are excited to take them out on the water but the trouble is, we don't know where yet. We were looking for rather calm waters like lakes, larger ponds or rivers that we could take the kayaks out. Preferably Calvert or St. Mary's but we do not live to far from Annapolis. We live in Huntingtown.

Thank you!

near you:
kings landing
uppermarlboro
Barstow ramp at DNR office(all three on the patuxent)

Not so near:
solomons
st mary's lake
leonardtown warf (or the one way paddle fromt he canoe launch up near the Mcdonalds to the wharf)
abels wharf on brenton bay
greatmills canoe launch (about a three hour one way trip to st marys city)
st marys city

glhs837

Power with Control
dont think that launch by McDonalds (actually at the winery) is still there, looks like they took it out.

glhs837

Power with Control
how do you take out a place to put a kayak in?

the park and parking area is still there, right?

True, but there was a set of stairs and platform that made it easy. What you have now is a bit of a pain to a launch from, with a steep (but not tall) grassy slope with mud at the bottom.

Midnightrider

True, but there was a set of stairs and platform that made it easy. What you have now is a bit of a pain to a launch from, with a steep (but not tall) grassy slope with mud at the bottom.

When I used the one at great mills I found the 'dock' was harder to use than it was worth, but that was a few years back.

:paddleon:

dan0623_2000

You may want to postpone the launch at Great Mills in St. Mary's county untill you have experience at paddling in open water with waves and white caps. I am sure Midnightrider had good intentions when listing it, but about 2/3 of that trip is in the St. Mary's River and it can get very rough for a novice kayaker. I mistakenly took 2 novices there last year and when we got out into the river it was very rough and one swore they would never kakak again. You could hug the shoreline and it would be smoother but a 2 and half to 3 hour trip could easily be doubled.

josh86

You may want to postpone the launch at Great Mills in St. Mary's county untill you have experience at paddling in open water with waves and white caps. I am sure Midnightrider had good intentions when listing it, but about 2/3 of that trip is in the St. Mary's River and it can get very rough for a novice kayaker. I mistakenly took 2 novices there last year and when we got out into the river it was very rough and one swore they would never kakak again. You could hug the shoreline and it would be smoother but a 2 and half to 3 hour trip could easily be doubled.

Thank you. I'm really only looking for a lake or smallish river so We could get used to our kayaks.

Midnightrider

i agree that the great mills to st marys city trip is more advanced. I wouldn't say it is too rough, but if the wind is blowing the wrong direction you are in for some serious non-stop paddling for several miles. But then again i assumed anyone reading my post would see that it was a 3 hour trip and that you would need to arrange transpotation back to the launch and know that this wasn't the best trip to start with.

the places on the upper patuxent should offer the OP nice clam trips that allow them to choose the distance. BTW, if you are going on an out and back type trip ALWAYS go into the wind first. that way it will be easier on the way back (unless the wind changes).

kelb

art imitating life
There is an awesome APP called Launch sites... look it up. it will tell you a ton in your area.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lots of kayakers launch at the Piney Point facility. Quite the variety of water and plenty of places to explore....