Favorite inspirational movie

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We all like a feel-good movie. What's your favorite? Is it "based on a true story" like Rudy or Rocky, or is it purely fiction?

I list Rocky as true since it was based loosely on the life of NJ heavyweight Chuck Wepner.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We all like a feel-good movie. What's your favorite? Is it "based on a true story" like Rudy or Rocky, or is it purely fiction?

I list Rocky as true since it was based loosely on the life of NJ heavyweight Chuck Wepner.

Should there be two classes; fictional and fact? It's a challenge to feel good about a fake movie and movies like Rocky, as good as it is, are soooooo far beyond reality it's not even funny. I'm no more motivated by Rocky being able to withstand poundings that would kill an elephant than I am by a little girl clicking her heels together and being transported to another time and place if she has on the right shoes.

:shrug:

EDIT: I don't mind artistic license and I do enjoy Wizard of Oz and Rocky. I just think of them as entertaining more than 'feel good'. Thus, I am thinking in terms of two categories.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Fake feel good; Days of thunder. It's the Dorito's of movies; tastes good every time, hard to get too much of it and about as worthless as can be. Just a fun, merry little movie.

Inspirational; Amadeus the conflict between pure genius and all it's attendant flaws, excess, mania, instabilities etc and the battle with practiced, disciplined, orderly, acceptable excellence. Much to find and enjoy here from two VERY different perspectives.

dontknowwhy

Most inspirational: Birth of a Nation...I love the part where the heroes come riding into town to save all of the white women...
Most hated: Dolomite...look at the thanks we get for saving all of the white women...

donbarzini

True Story: "The Right Stuff": Chuck Yeager: "Monkeys? Think a monkey knows he's sitting on top of a rocket that might explode? These astronaut boys, they know that, see? Well, I'll tell you somethin' - it takes a special kind of man to volunteer for a suicide mission, especially one that's on TV. Ol' Gus, he did alright."

Fiction: "Major League": Pedro Cerrano: "&^%$ you Jobu. I do it myself."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
True Story: "The Right Stuff": Chuck Yeager: "Monkeys? Think a monkey knows he's sitting on top of a rocket that might explode? These astronaut boys, they know that, see? Well, I'll tell you somethin' - it takes a special kind of man to volunteer for a suicide mission, especially one that's on TV. Ol' Gus, he did alright."

Fiction: "Major League": Pedro Cerrano: "&^%$ you Jobu. I do it myself."

So, Don Barzini, what is your favorite movie? :lol:

donbarzini

So, Don Barzini, what is your favorite movie? :lol:

:cheers:

II before I. And III NEVER happened you hear me? It never happened. God damn you Winona Ryder. She was supposed to play Michael's daughter. But she had her shoplifting/nervous breakdown episode 2 weeks before filming and Coppola panicked.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:cheers:

II before I. And III NEVER happened you hear me? It never happened. God damn you Winona Ryder. She was supposed to play Michael's daughter. But she had her shoplifting/nervous breakdown episode 2 weeks before filming and Coppola panicked.

See, forever, I think she made a GREAT daughter of Satan! The acting was sooooo bad it was GREAT! magic great!

Plus, I love Garcia's character, the resurrection of Sonny's aggression melding with Micheal's brains and calm, deliberateness.

The involvement of the church. The HUGE scale corruption. The other don who owns the church. What's his face makes a great new ago consigleari. (sp?)

And Micheals confession is ALL time great acting. And that good priest being murdered, MAN!!! Killing the POPE?????

Add to that the hit man is PURE evil. The perfect killer.

The friendly don. The flashbacks.

Connies transformation from ditz to cold, hard matron.

The scenes with Micheal and Kay and them reflecting on what they lost soooo humanizes and balances the evil of Michael with all his best intentions.

III may well be my favorite.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And the pain Pacino evokes when his daughter is shot, the ABJECT, total, complete, collapse he emotes, the utter failure of all systems of this incredibly strong man and all his burdens and all his efforts and works, all that time, pain, viciousness, ALL of it was for NOTHING, his entire point of being explodes out of him as her life drips away.

Incredible scene. Incredible.