Jay Rockefeller is vaping something....

Chris0nllyn

So, in this Senate hearing, Rockefeller was talking about e-cigs, vaping, and the like with Jason Healy and Craig Weiss, the owners of Blu and NJoy electronic cigarette companies.

He starts out with: "I should warn you that emotionally I'm on edge...", and continues on with such sayings as, ""I'm ashamed of you," ""I don't know how you go to sleep at night.…You're what's wrong with this country." "Why in heaven's name are you going ahead and marketing these things and selling these things?", etc.

Just listening to him, you'll pretty much realize his entire "argument" is about the children. "E-cigarette manufacturers are aggressively promoting their products using techniques and venues that appeal to youth," he said. Also, a Dr. worried about "the aggressive marketing of electronic cigarettes and its impact on youth."

Of course, you'd expect there to be a miriad of examples that suggest these companies are targeting minors, right? It's obvious to these geniouses that advertising and promotion are, and should be viewed as, acts of aggression not not simply free speech. Anyway, to the examples....One witness, Matthew Myers, president of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, cited "scantily clad models" in e-cigarette ads. Well thank god every heterosexual man in America immediately lost interest in that sort of thing when he turned 18.

That, and of course Rockefeller's concrete idea that "little kids" are "looking for things which they get to see a lot of it in the advertising." Such as? "One of the nice things is that you can sort of mimic the act of smoking,"..."It's cool. Kids are cool."

Anything else, Mr. Rockefeller? "I am an adult," Rockefeller said. "Would I be attracted to Cherry Crush, Chocolate Treat, Peachy Keen, Vanilla Dreams? No, I wouldn't." This shall now be known as the Rockefeller Rule. If an e-cigarette flavor does not appeal to Jay Rockefeller, it could not possibly appeal to anyone older than 17. Nevermind that Healy testified that survey data indicate "the average age of a cherry smoker is in the high 40s."

Or maybe look at this poll from CASAA that shows half of adult e-cigarette users prefer nontobacco flavors. By god, one way to quit smoking is to vape a tobacco flavor!
http://casaa.org/uploads/8_Biggest_Electronic_Cigarette_Myths.pdf

Bottom line is, these critics simply can't support their charge that companies like Blu and NJoy must be targeting children, they fall back on the claim that intent does not matter. They say advertising and flavors that might appeal to minors simply cannot be tolerated, regardless of the intended audience.

Did any of these asshats think about the fact that people will not make the potentially lifesaving switch from smoking to vaping—a switch that the Food and Drug Administration, which is developing regulations for e-cigarettes, concedes "would be good for public health"—if they do not know about these products. Restrictions imposed in the name of protecting children therefore can have deadly consequences for adults.

Obviously, the only responsible thing for an e-cig company to do is go out of business.

Video starts around the 23:00 mark.
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/publ...Group_id=b06c39af-e033-4cba-9221-de668ca1978a

RPMDAD

I personally am thinking about taking up an e-cig. I have read on here about how many cig smokers it has helped to cut down on cig' s. I would love to quit cig smoking, and if this is a step in the right direction i am willing to try it. I am a pack a day cig smoker, some days a pack and a quarter, some days three quarters of a pack. and if this helps me to quit entirely or cut down to way less than a pack a day i will try it. I don't know about all these exotic flavors they have i just need to replace the dependence on the cigs. I don't want a vaporizor type machine, would prefer something that resembles a cig. Some people on here have said it has helped them cut way back, and or helped them to quit cigs, that is what i am looking for.

I haven't smoked a real cig in over 4 years, thanks to e-cigs. But, I'm still addicted to nicotine. Hopefully in a slightly healthier sense though. Good luck!

RPMDAD

I haven't smoked a real cig in over 4 years, thanks to e-cigs. But, I'm still addicted to nicotine. Hopefully in a slightly healthier sense though. Good luck!

Thank you SnS, have tried quitting smoking before, and i hope this helps. Hope they have some flavor that tastes a little bit like a cig instead of a soft drink.

You can get regular tobacco flavored ones, both regular and menthol, no flavored stuff. And they look like real cigs except for the lighted tip. I tried Zyban, nicorette gum, patches and mints and Chantix before but e-cigs worked for me. And I was a 2 pack a day smoker. You can do it!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My new favorite vape flavor is Black Licorice and I am 50 years old.

Jay Rockefeller is an idiot.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't even know where to start on this other than to say this pretty much explains the mess that is Washington DC and what it does to all of us. An incumbent, several term US Senator is stark raving mad. Of all the things he could be using his power and moral authority for...this is it? THEY should be losing sleep over what THEY are doing?

dontknowwhy

Makes one wonder how much stock in tobacco Mr. Rockefeller holds.
My guess is it's enough to make him fight passionately to outlaw anything that might hurt his portfolio

dan0623_2000

My new favorite vape flavor is Black Licorice and I am 50 years old.

Jay Rockefeller is an idiot.[/Q

I believe you about Rockefeller but you got to be lying about your age. Ain't no way you that old. I had crossed you off my list of ladies of board ladies I would like to get to know cause you look way young than 50.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Makes one wonder how much stock in tobacco Mr. Rockefeller holds.
My guess is it's enough to make him fight passionately to outlaw anything that might hurt his portfolio

I doubt he owns any stock in tobacco, he prefers those straight cash contributions from the likes of Phillip Morris, remember when he blocked the ban on menthol flavoring while allowing for the ban of about every other flavor under the sun that aren't even used in tobacco. But at least the old coot is hanging up his hat and retiring.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bottom line is, these critics simply can't support their charge that companies like Blu and NJoy must be targeting children, they fall back on the claim that intent does not matter. They say advertising and flavors that might appeal to minors simply cannot be tolerated, regardless of the intended audience.

JOE Camel Baby ..... :whistle:

jrt_ms1995

Well, what do you expect a Government to do when you threaten their spending addiction? They've got to make it out to be a nasty, dangerous product so they can jack up the taxes and offset (or more) what they won't be getting when you dump real cigarettes.

:nomoney: