LAPD gets military motorcycles

Chris0nllyn

A new super stealthy, military-grade motorcycle is now on the prowl in Los Angeles, quietly hunting criminals in hard-to-reach places.

The MMX — which runs about $15,000 but is not for sale to civilians — can zip covertly along park trails and even through buildings thanks to its virtually soundless, zero-emissions design, a spokesman for Zero Motorcycles said

"There are major benefits to incorporating these environmentally friendly motorcycles. It costs less than 50 cents to charge compared to using gallons of gas, maintenance is simple, and the community appreciates how quiet they are," Officer Steve Carbajal of the L.A.P.D. Off-Road Unit said in a statement announcing the purchase.

"Most importantly, our officers have an added tactical advantage while on patrol," he said.

"We developed it for the U.S. military. I'm not allowed to comment on the specifics, but we have a contract with the military, and they are testing it," Scot Harden, the vice president of global marketing for Zero Motorcycles, told The News.

"The MMX is a higher grade than the civilian model," he said. "We swapped out the normal belt drive with a chain, so it's a lot more heavy-duty. And it has military-grade lighting, tires and special tires," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...stealth-electric-motorcycle-article-1.1837931

Where, exactly will these things give a tactical advantage you ask?

they’re able to sneak up on some of the homeless encampments and some of the illegal activities in the hillsides,”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014...-areas-with-all-electric-stealth-motorcycles/

There's always a bright side though. These bikes only cost about $18,000 compared to the typical $35,000 Harley or BMW.

Nevermind the fact that they need to be charged for 7 hours to get 2 hours of run time.

glhs837

Power with Control
You do realize these have no application in common with highway patrol bikes, right? think a pot grow or meth lab up in the hills, where it might take officers hours to hike in to avoid alerting the bad guys. That's the application. I would say coyote camps too, but you know damn well those are given generators and regulal visits by social workers.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You do realize these have no application in common with highway patrol bikes, right? think a pot grow or meth lab up in the hills, where it might take officers hours to hike in to avoid alerting the bad guys. That's the application. I would say coyote camps too, but you know damn well those are given generators and regulal visits by social workers.

Not sure I'd wanna be depending on a 2 hour bike going up into the hills or out in the bush. This should only be looked at as support vehicles used on conjunction with, say jeeps or trucks, and not deployed in and of themselves. Riders are very vulnerable.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Not sure I'd wanna be depending on a 2 hour bike going up into the hills or out in the bush. This should only be looked at as support vehicles used on conjunction with, say jeeps or trucks, and not deployed in and of themselves. Riders are very vulnerable.

:gossip: I wouldn't be surprised if the LAPD ends up using these 'lectric bikes exclusively in parades. Right in line immediately before the Shriner's and their mini-jalopies.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:gossip: I wouldn't be surprised if the LAPD ends up using these 'lectric bikes exclusively in parades. Right in line immediately before the Shriner's and their mini-jalopies.

They have a role. There is a pretty damn good electric MX bike that I could see blasting off road to do law enforcement but, again, I'd want support nearby.

glhs837

Power with Control
Exactly. Use regular vehicles to get to that area, then the last portion use these to get in position.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Exactly. Use regular vehicles to get to that area, then the last portion use these to get in position.

Or use them as scouts to approach from another direction with the goal of being recoverable/rechargeable/spare batts by the support vehicles when they run out of juice.

In any event, we're in agreement. :buddies: