Potential?

DoWhat - What has you considering buying some shares of Taseko?

I don't have any thoughts to offer on it in particular. But I'd share the advice I give in general when people ask me what I think about a particular stock. You should ask yourself, why do I think this is a good investment. Before someone buys any individual equity, they should be clear in their own mind why they think it's a good idea. They should be able to articulate it - as though they had to explain it to someone else (though doing that isn't necessarily needed). It's my thesis principle. For every stock you invest in, you should have a thesis as to why it's a good investment. There are all kinds of reasons why a stock can be a good investment, and I don't want to get lost in them, but in my mind it's important that someone has their own thesis regarding a stock they buy or own - not just a feeling, and not just the advice of someone else (who might, supposedly, know more about such things). Of course, that thesis might turn out to have been misguided or unknowable developments might eviscerate it. But it's important to have clearly identified reasons going in nonetheless, if for no other reason than it makes it easier to identify when things change (in light of your thesis) such that the investment is no longer a good one and you should get out.

So, anyway, when someone asks me what I think about a stock, I typically ask them to tell me what they think about it. What they think about the company itself, or how macro issues might affect it, or the value the current price represents, or the particular non-market risks associated with it, or the leadership of the company. Why do you think you should buy this stock? If you can't answer that question in a way that might persuade someone else, you probably shouldn't buy the stock - even if someone else is telling you you should. There are worse things than missing an opportunity here or there. And, in my view, a stock tip is something like - Hey, you should look at this stock. It is not something like - Hey, you should buy this stock. The latter determination is something people should always make for themselves, and if they aren't willing to think enough about individual stocks to make such determinations for themselves, then they probably shouldn't be buying individual stocks.

Chris0nllyn

I know mining is Australia has declined, big time, in recent years and they predict somewhere around 75,000 jobs will be lost due to winding down of the splurge over there. So far, BHP alone has sent about a billion tons of ore to Japan and China, but when the global recession was going on, China’s response was to pour hundreds of billions of dollars into new highways, bridges, bullet trains and factories, creating a huge need for Australia’s minerals. But new Chinese leaders may not be for another round of stimulus, preferring to let the economy settle at a growth rate of 7 to 8 percent. While 8% is still a pretty good growth, it's still a large shift from earlier double digit growth. Now, with China recording its 5th straight quarter of growth below 8%, people aren't sure if the mining industry will bounce back any time soon in Australia.

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/08/australias-mining-boom-winding-down-quickly/#ixzz36JqcuegE

Now, obviously that's not China, and Taseko is mining copper and gold, not coal and iron ore. Gold is tipping the scales in price along with copper. That being said, Taseko had a record quarter last quarter. If their Properity mine can pass environmental muster, it sould have a huge upside for them. February of this year, their Properity mine was rejected citing "irreversible environmental damage".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ew-of-new-prosperity-mine-rejection-1.2587442

Forward-looking statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause the Company's actual results, level of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These included but are not limited to:
•uncertainties and costs related to the Company's exploration and development activities, such as those associated with continuity of mineralization or determining whether mineral resources or reserves exist on a property;
•uncertainties related to the accuracy of our estimates of mineral reserves, mineral resources, production rates and timing of production, future production and future cash and total costs of production and milling;
•uncertainties related to feasibility studies that provide estimates of expected or anticipated costs, expenditures and economic returns from a mining project;
•uncertainties related to the ability to obtain necessary licenses permits for development projects and project delays due to third party opposition;
•uncertainties related to unexpected judicial or regulatory proceedings;
•changes in, and the effects of, the laws, regulations and government policies affecting our exploration and development activities and mining operations, particularly laws, regulations and policies;
•changes in general economic conditions, the financial markets and in the demand and market price for copper, gold and other minerals and commodities, such as diesel fuel, steel, concrete, electricity and other forms of energy, mining equipment, and fluctuations in exchange rates, particularly with respect to the value of the U.S. dollar and Canadian dollar, and the continued availability of capital and financing;
•the effects of forward selling instruments to protect against fluctuations in copper prices and exchange rate movements and the risks of counterparty defaults, and mark to market risk;
•the risk of inadequate insurance or inability to obtain insurance to cover mining risks;
•the risk of loss of key employees; the risk of changes in accounting policies and methods we use to report our financial condition, including uncertainties associated with critical accounting assumptions and estimates;
•environmental issues and liabilities associated with mining including processing and stock piling ore; and
•labour strikes, work stoppages, or other interruptions to, or difficulties in, the employment of labour in markets in which we operate mines, or environmental hazards, industrial accidents or other events or occurrences, including third party interference that interrupt the production of minerals in our mines.

http://www.mining.com/web/taseko-announces-record-quarterly-copper-and-molybdenum-shipments/

Last edited: