What is it with cats and wet hair?

I guess I should first ask whether other people's cats like to lick wet hair (i.e. the hair on top of a person's head), e.g. right after you get out of the shower. But I'll assume that at least some other cats do that from time to time.

So... anyone have any idea what that's about? Do they think they're helping out by drying our hair? Or do they like the taste of wet hair? Just another of the unexplainable quirks of cats?

Roman

I guess I should first ask whether other people's cats like to lick wet hair (i.e. the hair on top of a person's head), e.g. right after you get out of the shower. But I'll assume that at least some other cats do that from time to time.

So... anyone have any idea what that's about? Do they think they're helping out by drying our hair? Or do they like the taste of wet hair? Just another of the unexplainable quirks of cats?
They lick themselves where they're wet, so I would assume that's what your cat is trying to do, dry you off.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My male cat likes to go into the shower right after we get out and lick up the water. Also with water straight out of the faucet.

Toxick

Splat
But I'll assume that at least some other cats do that from time to time.

Allogrooming is a common behavior between cats who have a bond. It’s not unusual to see two cats engage in a session of licking each other’s head and neck. I have watched as the recipient of the licking closes her eyes and almost seems to drift off into dreamland.

For some cats who are very bonded with particular family members, the social behavior of hair licking is very normal, and of course, since the biggest crop of hair can be found on the head, that’s where they camp out.

Source

They lick themselves where they're wet, so I would assume that's what your cat is trying to do, dry you off.

That's where I'm leaning - that he's trying to help me dry my hair. He doesn't do it often, maybe once a month or something. But when he does, he's pretty emphatic about it. For instance, when I get out of the shower he'll start meowing loudly and incessantly (and he isn't normally an incessant meow-er) and jump up on the sink and stare at the top of my head. Then he'll follow me until I sit down so he can get to my head. That makes me wonder if he's doing it not because he thinks he's helping, but because he likes the taste or something.

frequentflier

happy to be living
That's where I'm leaning - that he's trying to help me dry my hair. He doesn't do it often, maybe once a month or something. But when he does, he's pretty emphatic about it. For instance, when I get out of the shower he'll start meowing loudly and incessantly (and he isn't normally an incessant meow-er) and jump up on the sink and stare at the top of my head. Then he'll follow me until I sit down so he can get to my head. That makes me wonder if he's doing it not because he thinks he's helping, but because he likes the taste or something.

Catnip flavored cream rinse?