New Stuff

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
What are some of the new Fads and toys that you parents have to buy your kids?

Looking for investment ideas.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
At the rate my oldest boy in going, I should have a controlling interest in Nike before too long. :doh::nomoney:

Will the S&P hit 2000 today?

I doubt it. That would be a pretty big single day move, even on light volume (because it's 'get out of town for the holiday' day).

Also, the equity markets are closing early today so there isn't much time left to make a major move like that.

You are probably right, but doesn't this look pretty?

http://quote.foxbusiness.com/symbol/inx

If you've been long equity markets over that time, sure - it's beautiful.

But let's say you're retired or closing in on retirement. There's a flip side of the reality that's given us that equity index chart. If you've been investing in the kinds of things retirees have long been told they should invest in - e.g. because they can't afford much risk - you probably haven't gotten much return on your money. And as a result your next egg, which you worked your whole life to save, may effectively be shrinking and you may be wondering just how long you can afford to live (at least, live comfortably). And it may be too late to go back to work and meaningfully build that nest egg up again.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If you've been long equity markets over that time, sure - it's beautiful.

But let's say you're retired or closing in on retirement. There's a flip side of the reality that's given us that equity index chart. If you've been investing in the kinds of things retirees have long been told they should invest in - e.g. because they can't afford much risk - you probably haven't gotten much return on your money. And as a result your next egg, which you worked your whole life to save, may effectively be shrinking and you may be wondering just how long you can afford to live (at least, live comfortably). And it may be too late to go back to work and meaningfully build that nest egg up again.

:confused:
My TSP C fund is doing great.

:confused:
My TSP C fund is doing great.

I had to look it up, but it looks like the C Fund is meant to track the S&P 500. So it makes sense that it's done pretty well. I was referring to low risk instruments, e.g. non-equity based investments - the kind of stuff paying low single digit returns.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I had to look it up, but it looks like the C Fund is meant to track the S&P 500. So it makes sense that it's done pretty well. I was referring to low risk instruments, e.g. non-equity based investments - the kind of stuff paying low single digit returns.

I think I am still considered young (but I don't look it), so I am still taking the high risk road.