Which dealer would you NOT buy a used car from in SMC?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not asking for recommendations, asking for the one party you would avoid

The buyer would prefer a reputable dealer, one that will provide a legally inspected vehicle.
Don't want to play games with trying to get a car inspected after the purchase.

I figure the list of recommended dealers would be too large, but by asking for who to avoid I'd have a smaller list.

Thank you

glhs837

Power with Control
Only bought two used cars from a used car dealer, and since they were both good, I got nothing. The only one on my bad list is that one next to the Ford dealer on GMR, but they are a buy here, pay here sort of thing anyway. Told the owner about a serious defect on one of his cars, as in, it's missing the front crash beam, and he was like, "Meh, so what, I cant be an expert in all the cars I sell".

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0

The buyer would prefer a reputable dealer, one that will provide a legally inspected vehicle.

I figure the list of recommended dealers would be too large, but by asking for who to avoid I'd have a smaller list.

Thank you

Tom Hodges. Bought my Honda from there. A week after driving rear main seal had to be replaced, along with the windshield when driving it at night you could see all these scratches on it. Look like someone took a belt Sander to it. 2 months after buying I had to replace my transmisson. They only paid for 1500$ I had to pick up the remaining 3100.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I have heard way more complaints than compliments on Tom Hodges. I have heard a lot of people who have issues shortly after purchase. I have always gone out of the area, however my first dealer was from one of the lots owned by the Subaru and VW dealer in Waldorf. Still have that truck 7 years later. We also bought from Koons in Tysons, and Ourisman.

ltown81

One thing to keep in mind is used car lots like Hodges sell the higher mileage, worse condition used cars. When people trade cars in at the new car dealer, the dealer usually keeps the nice ones to put on their own used car lot, and dumps what they don't want at auctions where places like Hodges, the Used Car Factory, and so forth buy them.

mamatutu

mama to two

I figure the list of recommended dealers would be too large, but by asking for who to avoid I'd have a smaller list.Thank you

Hey, BernieP. I know you are looking for who not to buy a car from, but I recommend Leonardtown Ford. My BIL is a manager there. Highly recommend. Just thought I would throw that out there. :smile:

dan0623_2000

I know a lot of people who have bought from Tom Hodges and are very happy and have gone back to buy other cars from him. You get what you pay for. If you buy a car from a dealer and it is under blue book value, beware.

stew77

I have bought at least 5+ cars from Tom Hodges, and NEVER had a problem. I got good deals also; but I do know how to deal for a new and used vehicle. It was ingrained in me by my DAD!. You just have to know what you want, and prices...! my $0.02!!

None of them!!!

Only bought two used cars from a used car dealer, and since they were both good, I got nothing. The only one on my bad list is that one next to the Ford dealer on GMR, but they are a buy here, pay here sort of thing anyway. Told the owner about a serious defect on one of his cars, as in, it's missing the front crash beam, and he was like, "Meh, so what, I cant be an expert in all the cars I sell".
Would never buy a used vehicle older than 2 years old, and then, I wouldn't buy a used vehicle newer than 2 years old. I always figure if a vehicle is 2 years or newer, (1) it is a leased vehicle, (2) it is a leased fleet vehicle, or (3) the owner probably got rid of it because it sucked!

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, bought the 89 Blazer used in 96 or 97. Had 60K or so on it. Lasted til I think 2004, had over 215K. Bought the 99 Blazer then with 65K, it hasnt fared so well. 110K and the trans is shot. Girls car is a 1991, bought it about three years ago had a little over 100K, she's closing in 170K with it. WE'll see how the Samurai that has 145K on it does :) We did put an engine of unknown miles in it though :)

Used aint bad, you just gotta know what you are looking at.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa

This is a big thing I had quite a few cars in my younger days. Most were roadside buys. Either I beat the living crap out of them, modified them, or sold them off for my next venture. GM's seemed to give me the least amount of issues, and I have bought 2 GM's with no issues. Bought an 04' Trailblazer in 07', have put over 100k miles on it and it still runs strong. Recently bought an 08' Avalanche. Put about 5k miles on it since Jan and have had no problems out of it.

We have shopped at several lots in St. Marys, Toyota/Hyundai sales guy was an #######, walked away and have never been back, LP Ford didn't have what we were looking for so went elsewhere, Leonardtown Ford was way over priced and had a very limited selection. Fitz was actually pretty cool, but we did not fall in love with the car so went elsewhere, and we have stopped by Tom Hodges on a few occasions to look, never bought and have heard way too many horror stories from friends and co workers. We did test drive a car, which looked great, but it was easily visible that the vehicle was in an accident after I crawled under it. I know many dealers sell cars from auctions and most places will have some bad cars.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

mom got a Chrysler Town and Country 2 yrs old from Enterprise .... less than 40k [I know that is over the 12k yr avg] for 18 ..... it has been a good ride

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Nephew just bought Ranger from Tom Hogdes, check engine light the next day for thermostat. I cleared code and it came back. TH couldn't duplicate problem and wanted $100 deductable to replace thermostat. I replaced it for $16 and cleared code, been fine since. They were nice about everything though...

bilbur

When I was younger I had 2 cars from T H and they served their purpose. I see them as more for parents buying their kid his first car or young people just starting out. What was said earlier is true, the new car dealers usually keep the vehicles with under 80,000 miles so if you run across one at one of these used dealers that have a car with very little miles it usually means it has a quirky problem that the new car dealers don't want to mess with. The 2 cars I had were high mileage and needed a repair here or there but lasted 4 to 6 years each which isn't bad for under $2000.

Smith

For used cars, sometimes the dealer isn't as important as the car itself. Figure out what you want, then go to AutoTrader and find it. The last two used cars I purchased from dealers in Manassas and Fairfax because all the similar cars in Southern Maryland were too high mileage or too high priced (or both).

With that said, I'll add one more vote against Tom Hodges. I purchased a couple of vehicles from there about 20 years ago and they were both good cars. However, when I referred someone to them, they actually bad mouthed me to the person I had sent to them. I dealt directly with Tom and his assistant at the time for both deals, so it was not the case of a random bad salesman.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Well, bought the 89 Blazer used in 96 or 97. Had 60K or so on it. Lasted til I think 2004, had over 215K. Bought the 99 Blazer then with 65K, it hasnt fared so well. 110K and the trans is shot. Girls car is a 1991, bought it about three years ago had a little over 100K, she's closing in 170K with it. WE'll see how the Samurai that has 145K on it does :) We did put an engine of unknown miles in it though :)

This is the most important piece from the entire thread. If you do not know about a car but like it, take the time to find a friend or family member (or a trusted mechanic) that does know how to look at cars objectively and have them look it over on a sunny or at least dry day.