Too much diversity, y'all

BOP

The irony in this is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Imagine for a moment a 19-year old white kid writing a similar article. The collective shrieking from the lefties could power a rocket to Mars.

I'll give the author this: he's a good writer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...chool-district-hires-too-many-white-teachers/

Mr. Allen is one of too few black teachers in a school system where about 90 percent of students are black, and I think that shared background helped explain our behavior. Many other teachers cannot control their classes, let alone get their students interested in the work. Mr. Allen can do both.

In my school, as in many schools — especially in reform-oriented school districts — a lot of the good, black teachers have been replaced by younger white teachers. Before Hurricane Katrina in 2005, nearly 75 percent of the city’s public school teachers were black. That began to change after Katrina, when charter schools began to grow in number. The percentage of minority teachers across New Orleans public schools dropped from 60 percent to 54 percent between 2010 and 2013, according to data compiled by Tulane University’s Cowen Institute for Public Education Initiatives. This troubles me. Particularly upsetting to me was the departure of the music teacher, a veteran black educator who helped run the New Tech school choir and put together trips for students.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If I was interested in finding the answers and had access to a good reference library, I would point this young man to research these aspects of his "problem of diversity" as he calls it.

1. What percentage of black males graduate high school in Louisiana and are prepared to begin the tough college academic life? You could also ask the question of black females but this student seems fixated on the absence of black male role models in the New Orleans high schools.

2. What percentage of black males who graduate high school in Louisiana prepared for college elect education as a profession? You can't count the jocks who win a full-ride scholarship because, even if they elect education as a major, those who win a professional sports career in large part don't go into teaching, those who don't win a professional career frequently don't graduate with a degree that prepares them to teach.

3. How many black education majors from Louisiana who graduate with a strong academic record move away from Louisiana and New Orleans especially to seek employment where there is a better environment and higher pay? The obverse would be "How many black education majors that meet this young man's qualifications are available to teach in the New Orleans schools each year?"

4. How many black educators in New Orleans are actively teaching in the secondary schools? How many positions for black teachers are vacant?

5. What is the turnover of all teachers in the New Orleans secondary schools?

Once he gets the answers to these vexing questions, he may have answered his own quandary. He shows a nascent ability to write but he lacks the experience of casting a broad net in doing research.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Imagine for a moment a 19-year old white kid writing a similar article. The collective shrieking from the lefties could power a rocket to Mars.

I'll give the author this: he's a good writer.

Wouldn't we all be better served if we simply held this up as a good piece with something intelligent to say rather than to play the moral equivalency thing non stop?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wouldn't we all be better served if we simply held this up as a good piece with something intelligent to say rather than to play the moral equivalency thing non stop?

Wait...what?? Without recourse to that overused rhetorical device, debate would practically cease in this country. Jeez, Larry....you ignorant moron. (<---thank goodness for that rhetorical device too.)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

What did he say that was intelligent? That racial quotas are good?

I guess Brown vs. Board of Education was a waste of time. Cry equality meaning "I want to be taught by people that look like me".

I thought diversity was going to propel us to the rainbow utopia. I have to shake my head at the hypocrisy. Since blacks make up 12% of the US population, any number greater than 12 could be considered overrepresentation.

Why not be quiet, respectful and ready to learn no matter who is teaching the class?

I'm just tired as a white male, living in the US, for being blamed or being the cause of all the ills in the world.

BOP

Why are blacks as a group, represented by individuals such as the author, allowed to play both sides of the fence, while no one else is? They complain that it's not fair that there are nearly all-white school districts and that those districts need more diversity, and on the other hand, complain that predominantly black school districts are too diverse, and that we need to resegregate. This young man is far from the first to complain that there is too much diversity, and while he does not engage, there are others in his community, and in the white-guilt community, who complain that areas where whites tend to congregate are not diverse enough.

I'd like to know what the answer is. We all tend to want to associate with our own kind, however we identify our in-group. The government experiment with social integration has all but failed. The young author's work is clear evidence of that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why are blacks as a group, represented by individuals such as the author, allowed to play both sides of the fence, while no one else is? They complain that it's not fair that there are nearly all-white school districts and that those districts need more diversity, and on the other hand, complain that predominantly black school districts are too diverse, and that we need to resegregate. This young man is far from the first to complain that there is too much diversity, and while he does not engage, there are others in his community, and in the white-guilt community, who complain that areas where whites tend to congregate are not diverse enough.

I'd like to know what the answer is. We all tend to want to associate with our own kind, however we identify our in-group. The government experiment with social integration has all but failed. The young author's work is clear evidence of that.

You know the answer; slavery. Period. End of story.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I guess Brown vs. Board of Education was a waste of time. Cry equality meaning "I want to be taught by people that look like me".

I thought diversity was going to propel us to the rainbow utopia. I have to shake my head at the hypocrisy. Since blacks make up 12% of the US population, any number greater than 12 could be considered overrepresentation.

Why not be quiet, respectful and ready to learn no matter who is teaching the class?

I'm just tired as a white male, living in the US, for being blamed or being the cause of all the ills in the world.

I'm tired of it, too but, that doesn't keep me from understanding it and through understanding it, being able to reject it moving forward. That is Barack Obama's legacy, his gift to the nation; he signals the end of the race grievance industry. It won't go away quietly but, the fact that he is the living embodiment of how poor racial preference is at determining character and ability and results, we can all move on.

All you gotta do is say 'no'. I'm not a racist. I doubt you are. So, when someone calls you something you're not, laugh at them. Point out how and why they are wrong.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Education Sec. Arne Duncan: Too Many White Women Teachers…

Diversity trumps competency.

Via AJC:

During a visit Monday to Spelman College, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said the country needs to increase the diversity of its teacher workforce to match the diversity of schoolchildren.

A more diverse group of teachers — including more teachers of color and male teachers — better serves all students, he said.

“This is doing the right thing for our nation,” Duncan said.

Making teaching more prestigious, providing more training for teachers, and paying good teachers more would help schools do a better job of attracting and retaining educators of all backgrounds, including those from underrepresented groups, he said.

“I think great teachers have to make a heck of a lot more money,” Duncan said.

Hijinx

If this were true, wouldn't it also be true that schools with a plurality of black teachers such as Washington DC would be putting out better students.
When New Orleans had more black teachers did they put out more scholars?

Where did those black teachers go? Did they go to the Charter schools? If they did, did school discipline have anything to do with it?

Diversity trumps competence---- has been true since the start of affirmative action and will continue.
It is the foundation that affirmative action is built on