Best Buy

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Just how many teenagers do they need to stand around in a blue shirts and play with their cell phones?

Which Best Buy were you in? :confused:

We were in Best Buy in St. Mary's County over the weekend buying a new TV Saturday and I never saw an employee yapping on a cell phone. In fact, they were all quick to ask if there was anything we could be helped with... as they always are when we go in there. I do know Best Buy's sales are very low right now and I'm not sure if it is the economy. hhgregg, or both, that has caused that but we just so happened to be in the market for a new TV.

PeoplesElbow

We were in Best Buy in St. Mary's County over the weekend buying a new TV Saturday and I never saw an employee yapping on a cell phone. In fact, they were all quick to ask if there was anything we could be helped with... as they always are when we go in there. I do know Best Buy's sales are very low right now and I'm not sure if it is the economy. hhgregg, or both, that has caused that but we just so happened to be in the market for a new TV.

That one, on Saturday matter of fact. I was trying to figure out if something was in the correct spot that happened to have one of those big metal ladders parked in front of it. Employee asked me if I was doing alright (while I was inside the ladder) I said "yes, I am just trying to figure out of this is in the correct spot to make sure this is the correct price" But as soon as the word yes popped out of my mouth she turned around and started texting.

SamSpade

I've been hit or miss with those guys. It really depends on who you ask and what the product is. Once I wanted to buy a memory card for a tablet that needed to be a specific speed - and I didn't know they came in speeds - and they were no help at all. Another time I needed a basic video card for a kid's computer, and they wanted to sell me an expensive gamer's one.

On the other hand, when I went back and I was sure I wanted the latest game machine, desktop, cell phone, digital camera or TV - they knew every bell and whistle, every cable, everything I needed.

As a rule of thumb however, I go to Best Buy only when I'm pretty sure I am not going to find it anywhere else.

That's mostly been my experience as well, there are usually several people that ask if I need assistance whenever I go in there.

Best Buys' biggest problem is that they are competing with non-B&M retailers (e.g. Amazon) while their own costs reflect the reality that they are still largely a B&M retailer. On bigger ticket items, it's hard for them to compete on price. They've had to sacrifice margins to maintain market share, and that of course cuts into the bottom line. They're still hanging in there and doing a fair bit of business but having to do a lot of promotions / sales to keep it. They've also been trying to cut overall B&M cost by, e.g., downsizing stores where they can and not opening a bunch of new ones. And they're trying to develop their online business.

That's mostly been my experience as well, there are usually several people that ask if I need assistance whenever I go in there.

Best Buys' biggest problem is that they are competing with non-B&M retailers (e.g. Amazon)

Correct and that's the real problem; Best Buy is competing against the non-B&M retailers strengths instead of developing it's own strengths.

Sometimes I want something Right Now. Predictive and just in time stocking is cheaper but creates disappointed customers who wouldn't have minded paying a little more.

Sometimes I don't want an item sitting on the doorstep when I'm gone. Maybe some juvenile delinquents have moved into the neighborhood. Maybe I'm subject to short notice travel. Most of the items I looked at on the website did not offer in store delivery.

Sometimes I'm not sure what product will meet my needs. The employees I've encountered at Best Buy were pleasant and attentive but totally clueless.

Customer service could be Best Buy's strength. It isn't.