Adopters: Have you ever wondered..

acommondisaster

Have you ever wondered about your dog's past life? The tread about the dog who stayed by his deceased owner's body made me think of this. I know they say dogs live in the present, but my rescue doggie has always loved to go in the car. He gets excited when I pick up my car keys, and downright happy when he "knows" we're going for a ride. He doesn't really make much of a move if I ask him if he wants to go out, or go for a walk, but if I say let's go in the car, it sure turns on his ON switch. He sits so perfectly on the passenger seat, not wanting to stick his head out the window, or he likes to lie down on the seat with his head on my lap. I often wonder where he used to go with his previous owners that he loved so much. I wonder if he still anticipates someplace that I don't take him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I prefer not to think about Apollo's past before me. He has some tendencies that make me think someone was mean to him and I'd just as soon not know for sure.

He also loves to ride in the car, but I think it's mostly because he wants to be wherever I am and doesn't like me to leave without him. He flips out when I put my shoes on because that cues his doggie brain that I'm going out the door.

mamatutu

mama to two
Have you ever wondered about your dog's past life? The tread about the dog who stayed by his deceased owner's body made me think of this. I know they say dogs live in the present, but my rescue doggie has always loved to go in the car. He gets excited when I pick up my car keys, and downright happy when he "knows" we're going for a ride. He doesn't really make much of a move if I ask him if he wants to go out, or go for a walk, but if I say let's go in the car, it sure turns on his ON switch. He sits so perfectly on the passenger seat, not wanting to stick his head out the window, or he likes to lie down on the seat with his head on my lap. I often wonder where he used to go with his previous owners that he loved so much. I wonder if he still anticipates someplace that I don't take him.

Aww! I love your post. We need dog whisperers or dog psychics. We adopted our two dogs at the same time from tri-county 16 years ago. Not related to each other. Cookie was shy of any movement and loud noises, and Oreo was happy go lucky and very loving. Cookie was loving to in her shy way. I always wished I had known their past history. They were 3 months old when we got them, and it was obvious Cookie was abused. My dogs' fave thing was to go for a ride! They loved it! I miss them. Thanks for the post because I tend to try not think of them if I can help it because it makes me sad. However, great memories are a good thing! Thanks!

lucky_bee

RBF expert

Maggie is the exact same way! She hardly gets excited for a typical walk or going out, but a car ride?! And she's not interested in sticking her head out the window, but prefers to sit in the passenger seat (I think bc she can "force" me to pet her by nudging my arms...) She's just happy to go some place with me, most of the time not even caring to get out of the car.

I, too, often wonder about her past life (lives). I met her previous owner's daughter and we still keep in touch so I know she was loved...but since her father had picked Maggie up from the shelter...when Maggie was already a 7 y/o...that leaves a lot of possibilities open and I try not to think of it. When I had to do some volunteer work at Tri-County I lost my composure several times thinking about Maggie having to live there. I don't even know how long she did, although I doubt a sweet small dog with such a pretty face like hers lasted too, too long there (this is what I like to tell myself when I accidently start thinking about it). She's also just so calm and sweet and loving, especially for her breed who are known for being little stubborn ####heads, so I just can't even fathom what type of people would willingly give her up. Noone really taught her how to "play" either so I like to convince myself she's been a couch potato since Day 1 instead of an owner that hardly gave her attention. She's never shown any signs of past abuse though, and I'm always relieved by that.

Sometimes I think about where she was born. Shiba Inus are unfortunately notorious for being bred in Puppy Mills. Was she born in one? If she was, how long? How long were her parents in it? :bawl:

But even just the funny little things make me curious: how'd she get so obsessed with rotisserie chicken...but any other table scraps are meh? why does she hate all dog treats but those cheap milkbones? why doesn't she play with toys? who taught her how to roll her eyes? how does she know how to sigh and grumble when I make her move over on the couch or on the bed? Who let her think she's above a dog bed? Why doesn't she act like normal hyper Shibas? :shrug:

When I think too much into it, I just remind myself I'm her forever home now and for as long as she'll let me, I'll take her for car rides and bring chicken home for her and keep the cats off her side of the bed. :love:

luvmygdaughters

When we adopted our Nikki Girl, there was no past life to speak of, we got her when she was 8 weeks old and had her for 18 wonderful years. We were her past and present life. Captain Morgan on the other hand, I do wonder what happened to her. When I adopted her from her last owner, who had her for about a year, she was very sweet and loving, but also very skittish around any type of loud noises, she doesn't like the broom, when I bring groceries in the house, she runs away. The previous owner got her from a shelter in Arizona, she took her to the vet for a routine check up and was told that it appeared Morgans jaw had been broken as a puppy and never set properly. Therefore, she has this kind of quirky tooth that sticks out over her upper lip. When I read that, it just broke my heart to think of what possibly could have happened to her in the past. She is still a very sweet, loving, gentle dog who also loves to ride in the car. When you get the leash and put on your shoes, she's at the door with the wiggly butt and crooked smile. She just makes my day!.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Yes. I always wonder. One of my dogs is a fat Puggle and he goes bananas if he sees a dog collar and a leash. He LOVES going for walks. I do know that he was rescued from Tri-County and then returned a year later because the owners were going to have a baby and felt they didn't have time for him. :frown: I always wonder what type of situation would lead someone to turn their animal into the shelter. I try not to judge, but sometimes it is difficult.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Yes. I always wonder. One of my dogs is a fat Puggle and he goes bananas if he sees a dog collar and a leash. He LOVES going for walks. I do know that he was rescued from Tri-County and then returned a year later because the owners were going to have a baby and felt they didn't have time for him. :frown: I always wonder what type of situation would lead someone to turn their animal into the shelter. I try not to judge, but sometimes it is difficult.

Same here. I could never imagine. Thankfully if I was ever put in a situation where Maggie couldn't stay with me for any reason (and I'd never voluntarily let that happen), but if it did so many friends and family would be more than happy to help me out so shelters would never be an option.

BTW, I can't thank you enough for putting me in contact with Maggie...can't imagine my life without the little Queen Margaret now :huggy: :forumpower:

Roman

My Deaf Boston was owned by someone before me. I am not insinuating they were mean to her, but she is very skiddish compared to all of the other Bostons I've had. It could be the deafness too. When I adopt an animal, it's for life. There was only one of many I had to take back to the shelter, and she was a Min-Pin that ripped in to my then 4 year-old daughter's face as she was climbing in to bed with us.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I have a cat that dances in the rain. My neighbors laugh every time they see him outside running around our front yard seemingly unbothered that he is soaked. He is a rescue that was pulled out of a wood pile when he was 8 weeks old. I know this because I took part in his rescue but had somebody else gotten him, they would never understand this oddity. I just wish I knew why some of my other pets have quirks.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have a cat that dances in the rain. My neighbors laugh every time they see him outside running around our front yard seemingly unbothered that he is soaked. He is a rescue that was pulled out of a wood pile when he was 8 weeks old. I know this because I took part in his rescue but had somebody else gotten him, they would never understand this oddity. I just wish I knew why some of my other pets have quirks.

:jet: please post a video! I can't even wrap my head around what that scene is like :lmao:

mamatutu

mama to two

I love the story! A kitty dancing in the rain! :smile:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:jet: please post a video! I can't even wrap my head around what that scene is like :lmao:

Getting video of it is a great idea.... last night I asked my son if my cat was outside (knowing the rain was coming).... he said no but when I opened the back door when I got home, there he was twirling on the back deck, soaked.

Roman

Getting video of it is a great idea.... last night I asked my son if my cat was outside (knowing the rain was coming).... he said no but when I opened the back door when I got home, there he was twirling on the back deck, soaked.
CUTE!! :like:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Our rescue girl is skittish around cars when we're walking her, but loves going for a ride in a car. She is a supreme hunter and would probably do very well as a tracking/SAR dog. She was a street dog from somewhere in Georgia and was pregnant in a kill shelter when MAGSR.org pulled her out and brought her to MD. She fits our lives perfectly.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I had a rescue Sheltie who had been abandoned on the side of a road. Someone had picked him up and kept him in a cage that was too small and he had worn all of the fur off of his back. He was about 10 pounds under weight, which is a lot for a dog that size.

When we groomed him he would just stand there with a look like "why are you doing this to me" but would never resist. He wouldn't chew things unless we told him he could, and he was very obedient. We taught him what part of the yard to use to do his business, and he always did. He loved to learn tricks. When we took him to obedience classes, it was obvious he already knew what to do. We just had to be trained to handle him.

I'm pretty sure he was raised to be a show dog but when he didn't win he was cast aside. I would be interested in knowing what his history really was, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to meet the kind of person who would just discard a dog as awesome as him the way they did.

Ginger0314

We rescued a chocolate lab from Lake Erie Lab Rescue. She was a stray and was in a kill shelter when they pulled her at the age of 6. She just passed away in January at the age of 16. She was the best dog I never had loving obedient funny. From the day we got her until the end when we walked and a pick up truck drove by she would stop and watch it until it was out of sight. I really believe her former owner had a truck. My neighbor came one night in her husband's truck and we took Abbey for a ride. She was in heaven. I miss her everyday. We just adopted a 4 year old blue tick beagle. Now I wonder about her. If only they could talk...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We were talking about the past lives of critters in a different thread and sometimes people think a dog that shakes was abused in the past, but we had someone say they had their dog from a small puppy and the dog just is like that, no abuse at all. So as much as we like to speculate, we never really know unless we can see scars (like my boy has all over his face/neck) which would indicate dog fighting in my case.

We were talking about the past lives of critters in a different thread and sometimes people think a dog that shakes was abused in the past, but we had someone say they had their dog from a small puppy and the dog just is like that, no abuse at all. So as much as we like to speculate, we never really know unless we can see scars (like my boy has all over his face/neck) which would indicate dog fighting in my case.

:yeahthat: Exactly. I can't stand when people assume abuse just because a dog shows as timid, defensive or submissive, etc. It drives me crazy enough to start foaming at the mouth... and no that doesn't automatically mean I have rabies.