Cat won't eat food with worm medicine

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We have a feral cat that threw up, had roundworms. Realized that the residue we saw a day earlier was the same, but the dog ate it EWWWWWW.

We mixed crushed Drontal (got from vet for dog and the kitty, was like $55 for a few tablets :yikes:) in her canned food and she refused to eat it. So then I buy OTC stuff with the key ingredient in it I see online that's for round worms (forgot name at moment) and mix the granules from the capsule into canned food, she won't eat it ... added sardine oil, still won't eat it. Made a new batch with a liquid dewormer with same ingredient with crushed sardines, she won't eat it GRRRRRRR. So far I have tried about 5 different meds on her and she won't eat ANY of it. How can I get her dewormed? Anything I can try to squirt on her body if I can get her in a cage? I have been feeding her in one of those big multi-level cages, so when she goes in to eat I could close the door them commence to trying to squirt Frontline on her or some other product if it will also kill roundworms.

Anyone with experience with this problem?

Kitties can be so sneaky! Frontline does not de-worm kitties but Revolution does. It is a topical that also does fleas and heartworm. It is a great product. The other option is to take her to the vet and let them pill her for you. I hope this helps!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
We have a feral cat that threw up, had roundworms. Realized that the residue we saw a day earlier was the same, but the dog ate it EWWWWWW.

We mixed crushed Drontal (got from vet for dog and the kitty, was like $55 for a few tablets :yikes:) in her canned food and she refused to eat it. So then I buy OTC stuff with the key ingredient in it I see online that's for round worms (forgot name at moment) and mix the granules from the capsule into canned food, she won't eat it ... added sardine oil, still won't eat it. Made a new batch with a liquid dewormer with same ingredient with crushed sardines, she won't eat it GRRRRRRR. So far I have tried about 5 different meds on her and she won't eat ANY of it. How can I get her dewormed? Anything I can try to squirt on her body if I can get her in a cage? I have been feeding her in one of those big multi-level cages, so when she goes in to eat I could close the door them commence to trying to squirt Frontline on her or some other product if it will also kill roundworms.

Anyone with experience with this problem?

http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/5425.0.html kills hooks, rounds and TAPEWORMS. (very common in outside cats)

Revolution only kills Round and Whips

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Kitties can be so sneaky! Frontline does not de-worm kitties but Revolution does. It is a topical that also does fleas and heartworm. It is a great product. The other option is to take her to the vet and let them pill her for you. I hope this helps!

I had forgotten about Revolution. Thanks for the reminder.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/5425.0.html kills hooks, rounds and TAPEWORMS. (very common in outside cats)

Revolution only kills Round and Whips

Ahhhh. She has rounds that I know of, but needs to be treated for all types I'd say, especially since the last Vole she gave me as a gift she had eaten partially. What can I do to the ground around the house to keep the worms at bay? I already dewormed the cat poop eating dog (ewwwww). Why do dogs want to eat such disgusting things?

So I can get that through a vet right?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Ahhhh. She has rounds that I know of, but needs to be treated for all types I'd say, especially since the last Vole she gave me as a gift she had eaten partially. What can I do to the ground around the house to keep the worms at bay? I already dewormed the cat poop eating dog (ewwwww). Why do dogs want to eat such disgusting things?

So I can get that through a vet right?

i wouldnt use anything on the ground....

and yes they are RX

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I finally was able to get a prescription from my vet for Revolution which also kills worms, so I used it on the feral girl. I feed her in an open cage, that way if I ever need to confine her, I can do so easily. I managed to get the drops on her back but I have no idea how much of it actually got to her skin. I can only hope enough got on her to help kill the worms. I only had enough money to buy a 3-pack so it'll be gone soon. Maybe when I order a refill I can manage to come up with enough money to get a 12-pack.

onelove6366

I order Revolution in bulk direct from Australia. It's been a lifesaver and helps me treat all of my ferals that allow me to get close enough to zap them with the syringe real quick!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ark - Go to this link - http://www.discountpetmedication.biz/revolution-for-cats-5-1-15-lbs-12-month-supply-kit/

This is $54.99. I can treat around 16 cats with this supply. You have to measure it out based on the weight of the cat (which you can guesstimate). Kills ear mites too! They send you with a syringe and glass vial to store the leftover in.

Revolution is the same for Dogs & Cats - just the dosage is adjusted.

I managed to treat her 2 times with Revolution for cats (single dose in a 3 pack) ordered online with my vet's RX. I just need money to get the RX refilled. Do I need a RX at that website?

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Did you get your order yet?

Yes, I was hoping it would be less messy than just buying the XL dog version, but I still had it all over my hands unfortunately - so no fleas, ticks or worms for me now huh? :smile: I guess I should have used a needle to extract the fluid - I will when I open the 2nd one.

onelove6366

You had a hard time with it? Did you use the little glass vial they provided? I've had a little bit of issues with mess but nothing too serious. You just have to be careful. You did get the syringes right? Slow down and take your time!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ark - I know this is an older post but you can use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth as a wormer. Natural, safe - no harsh chemicals and effective. Here is the link. This stuff can be used for many uses. It's inexpensive too. 4 gallon sized jugs of powder for under $40 with shipping I believe.

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

I heard that once the DE is wet it doesn't retain the ability to harm the worms.

onelove6366

The DE works for worming. I don't know how but it does. I've used it on my cats and I know others who have used it for dogs and it works. It is also used for livestock.