NYPD chokes man to death

Chris0nllyn

The Staten Island resident was sitting in front of Bay Beauty on Bay St. and Victory Blvd. just before 5 p.m. when two plainclothes cops began questioning him about selling untaxed cigarettes, a video obtained by the Daily News shows.

Ramsey Orta, 22, who shot the video, tried to intervene, telling the cops his friend had just broken up a fight between three men and had not been selling cigarettes.

When Garner refused orders to put his hands behind his back, one of the plainclothes cops, wearing a green T-shirt with a yellow No. 99 on the back, got behind him and put him in a chokehold, the footage shows.

A struggle ensued as three uniformed officers joined in on the arrest, knocking the man to the ground.

He screamed, “I can’t breathe!” six times before he went silent and paramedics were called

An NYPD spokesman would only say the man “was being placed in custody, went into cardiac arrest and died” at Richmond University Medical Center.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-man-dies-puts-choke-hold-article-1.1871486

Hijinx

The man kept saying he was not selling cigarettes, but they ignored him. It was pretty obvious they were going to arrest him, but they waited for the troops to land before making the attempt.

If the man had just put his hands behind his back he might still be alive. People have to remember that the police wait until their numbers are great enough before they attack, you cannot beat them, just obey them and try not to get killed. Let your lawyer do your talking.

Nice uniforms, T-shirts and shorts. No way they were plain clothes , any crook would spot them a mile away with their radio strapped on their belts.

itsrequired

The man kept saying he was not selling cigarettes, but they ignored him.

They didn't ignore him, they acknowledged that he said that and told them they believed otherwise.

It was pretty obvious they were going to arrest him, but they waited for the troops to land before making the attempt.

If the man had just put his hands behind his back he might still be alive. People have to remember that the police wait until their numbers are great enough before they attack, you cannot beat them, just obey them and try not to get killed. Let your lawyer do your talking.

Good advice.

Nice uniforms, T-shirts and shorts. No way they were plain clothes , any crook would spot them a mile away with their radio strapped on their belts.

So you knew they were cops. Good. No question there either.

Hijinx

So you knew they were cops. Good. No question there either.

Knew they were cops??? Hell yeah, They may as well have been carrying a sign. Plain clothes my azz.

Officers wear plain clothes to mix in with the public, these guys being cops was as plain as the nose on their face.
In the world of disguises theirs was a joke.

I suppose in new York there is a lot of Black Market cigarette selling, the result of taxes being so high. Tax anything bad enough and a black market opens up.

itsrequired

Knew they were cops??? Hell yeah, They may as well have been carrying a sign. Plain clothes my azz.

Officers wear plain clothes to mix in with the public, these guys being cops was as plain as the nose on their face.
In the world of disguises theirs was a joke.

Yes, sometimes undercover officers wear clothes to blend in with the public. Plain clothes officers....not so much. I've seen plenty of detectives wearing clothes which are comfortable but not hiding anyone's identity. I don't think they were trying to disguise anything. Cops who are allowed to, dress for comfort. No big deal. Have you ever seen a Marshal's squad, or a street level jump out squad? Do you know what they are wearing? LOL...your surprise at this really shows you don't know a whole lot about law enforcement. That's okay, that just means you are probably an honest citizen.

I suppose in new York there is a lot of Black Market cigarette selling, the result of taxes being so high. Tax anything bad enough and a black market opens up.

Okay. So the taxes are high. I don't get what that has to do with this? :jameo:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want to make sure I understand:

So a cop comes to investigate criminal activity, and all the perp has to do is say he didn't do it and the cop should walk away and leave him be?

Nobody ever answered my question about why you all (you cop haters, not the sane ones) automatically believe criminals and their lawyers over cops. You don't think druggies and thieves would lie, but cops - they gotta be lying, right?

That makes no sense to me and I'd love for one of you to please explain it.

itsrequired

I want to make sure I understand:

So a cop comes to investigate criminal activity, and all the perp has to do is say he didn't do it and the cop should walk away and leave him be?

Uhm....excuse me. The upstanding citizen filming it said he didn't do anything either. :doh:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
What probable cause did the cops have to suspect he was selling untaxed smoke, besides just "thinking" he was?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What probable cause did the cops have to suspect he was selling untaxed smoke, besides just "thinking" he was?

The link in the OP states "Police officials said Garner had a history of arrests for selling untaxed cigarettes. Cops said they observed him selling his wares Thursday on Bay St. and moved in for an arrest."

GW8345

Not White House Approved
The link in the OP states "Police officials said Garner had a history of arrests for selling untaxed cigarettes. Cops said they observed him selling his wares Thursday on Bay St. and moved in for an arrest."

Thank you, missed that part.

I will say, that choke hold is not how I was taught, I was taught to the inside of your elbow should be at the center of the persons throat so you don't close the windpipe. The cops forearms was across the guys windpipe and thus completely restricting the guys airflow but that was not enough to kill him, you have to hold that hold for minutes. Also, if the guy can talk, he can breath, it may be restricted, but he is still getting air.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know what? #### happens. I'm not getting all teary eyed over some dirtbag dying because he can't stop breaking the law.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thank you, missed that part.

I will say, that choke hold is not how I was taught, I was taught to the inside of your elbow should be at the center of the persons throat so you don't close the windpipe. The cops forearms was across the guys windpipe and thus completely restricting the guys airflow but that was not enough to kill him, you have to hold that hold for minutes. Also, if the guy can talk, he can breath, it may be restricted, but he is still getting air.

TAPPS

Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!!!!! :evil:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You know what? #### happens. I'm not getting all teary eyed over some dirtbag dying because he can't stop breaking the law.

Well, Queen Callousiana, I hope you feel safer with another hardened criminal off the streets.

Records show Garner was due in court in October on three Staten Island cases, including charges of pot possession and possession or selling untaxed cigarettes.

:evil:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Will the coroner classify this as a smoking related death?

Smoking which? Tobacco or Marijuana. He has a record (was to see court in October) for selling untaxed tobacco and for possessing marijuana

:gossip: But I still see the humor hiding in your question.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
There's a shocker. Someone spoke before they read the story. Reading really isn't your strong point is it? You really do make this easy!

I don't know why I bother responding to you but I did read the story, I skipped over that sentence for some reason. Not everyone can be Mr. Perfect like you so get over it and move on.